Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 12:57 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times

Advertisements

With signs that Joaquin may brush the east coast/NC, I'm starting a thread to house the discussion. Eastern portions of the Triangle would take a bigger hit, but lots of things can change. It could get very interesting flood potential-wise, given the amount of rain we've had recently.

Rainfall output: This is one of many outcomes, but does illustrate how quickly this could escalate.

Resources:

Raleigh/Durham, NC
National Weather Service radar from Raleigh/Durham, NC
National Hurricane Center
Tropical Storm JOAQUIN

Stay dry folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 01:07 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Potential flooding aside, I'd be perhaps more concerned about the threat for 30-40 mph winds and the saturated soils. That has the potential for downed trees and the issues that follow (i.e. power outages, home damage).

Frank

Old 09-29-2015, 01:20 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Potential flooding aside, I'd be perhaps more concerned about the threat for 30-40 mph winds and the saturated soils. That has the potential for downed trees and the issues that follow (i.e. power outages, home damage).

Frank
That was the problem with Fran. We had so much rain prior to her getting here, and the soil around tree roots had the consistency of pancake batter.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:11 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times
There's been a lot of real estate development in the Crabtree Creek watershed since Fran and Floyd. Furthermore, some of the flood control lakes have silted up. It will be interesting to see how the basin fares in case of 8 or 10 inches of rain. Note that the relatively minor Alberto in 2006 resulted in the second-highest-ever level of the creek at Crabtree Mall (23.77 feet). Only the original flood of all floods in 1973, which drove construction of all the flood control lakes, was higher (27.69 feet). Yes, that's right, Alberto was higher than Fran or Floyd -- at Crabtree Valley, at least. Certainly that was not the case elsewhere. The combination of 100% saturated ground, a less-effective flood control system, and another intense downpour could get very ugly.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:17 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
Wow! The problem with this is that even if Joaquin doesn't make landfall, it will interact with another system off the Florida coast that will still enhance rainfall. Rain will definitely be the problem here.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:36 PM

613 posts, read 746,452 times
No. The worst problem for NC is how the storm will try and 'relocate' the beach. A natural occurrence but of course we have all the houses built there.
I remember how Wrightsville beach was changed and had to have sand pumped back to put the beach back where it was.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:52 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post

Frank
This hearkens back to Hurricane Fran.....it rained for a solid week before the storm came; and then when it made it to Raleigh, despite only being a Cat-1 hurricane/ tropical storm at that point; it took out what seemed like EVERY tree for miles and caused historic flooding at Crabtree Valley. I was only 7 years old then but I'll never forget how crazy that aftermath of Fran was....the entire root-systems of giant 100+ year old trees just popped out of the ground like nothing.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:03 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
This hearkens back to Hurricane Fran.....it rained for a solid week before the storm came; and then when it made it to Raleigh, despite only being a Cat-1 hurricane/ tropical storm at that point; it took out what seemed like EVERY tree for miles and caused historic flooding at Crabtree Valley. I was only 7 years old then but I'll never forget how crazy that aftermath of Fran was....the entire root-systems of giant 100+ year old trees just popped out of the ground like nothing.
I have some pictures I need to get scanned from around my parents house on St Mary's St. Complete insanity. Took them 7-8 days to get power back.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:03 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
No. The worst problem for NC is how the storm will try and 'relocate' the beach. A natural occurrence but of course we have all the houses built there.
I remember how Wrightsville beach was changed and had to have sand pumped back to put the beach back where it was.
I've always been in the camp of no coastal building on the NC coastline...no rebuilding of roads or homes after they are destroyed or washed away. It's a losing proposition.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:22 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Fran scared the life out of me and my hub. We had many old oaks fall in our yard (I think 50?). When a big tree falls, your house shakes and vibrates - nerve wracking! When you hear the creaking of a tree starting to fall and cannot see outside b/c its pitch black from no power and rain, for a moment, you wonder if your safe place is a safe place. Awful feeling.

Anyhow, as others have said, trees fell due to the ground being saturated from rains prior to Fran. Oaks have shallow root system and so can be the first to fall. The big challenge in this area, or any I guess, is immediately afterwards when you have no power, and are pinned in to your home or street due to downed trees. If you can safely cut them yourself, it's best to do so IMO. Finding a tree crew can be very difficult as you can imagine. The city also cuts up some downed trees. In the past, I seen that they typically work from inside the beltline outwards.

If you are new to this area, check out WRAL TV website for hurricane preparedness for this season. The state also has info on their site. Get cash out of the ATM days before - they tend to run our of money. Fill up car gas tank. Stock up on med, essentials, try to eat down your freezer foods and meat -or be prepared to donate to community cookouts post storm Don't buy any the week before. Find games/things for kids to do with no power. Do your laundry I always do this after being stuck without power for 10 days with fran. Buy lots of wipes included for bathing. You might not want to have a freezing cold shower. I did this everyday for 10 days...it was hell! It would take me 5 mins to get into the water while squealing like a baby pig, haha! My husband enjoyed the daily show.

I am also concerned about area flooding and also beach erosion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary