Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 06:39 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I sound a lot more angry than I feel but this article also has the common theme of being free of NC culture. Like NC is a place with a particular tax and school configuration and Yankees are living here and making a good go of it and you can come be like them.

I guess the Cary bit sets the tone here. Let's have a self contained story about life in the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees and you know here is a story about Yankee life in the South.

The people the cultural life don't really seems to make it in the assessment besides we'll be nicer to you than you expect. That's the part that kinda rubs.

I guess the backdrop here just forming hanging out on CD is there is a constant transplant anxiety about the "south". And you know we don't like that part it's no good and so we don't want to be a part of that identity so let's just live in explore and grow the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

I feel like im coming across angry but its just I'm passionate about the land AND culture and just don't like seeing that get lost (and it seems to be)

So again if someone reads this and thinks there's more here worthwhile than the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees I will feel good

I typed this once and lost it but if it's twice somewhere sorry
I still don't get the need for "yankees". Just seems, regardless of what Southerners will say, derogatory. Kinda like a Northerner calling someone from the south a "redneck" every time they refer to them.

Anyway, you can be passionate, but make no mistake, the northern culture will creep into the way of life here in the south. It will not be all at once. It may take a generation or two, but the south will change, as will any area that experience large population shifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 06:50 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoustoYall View Post
Also, agreed on the education statements. NC has some of the best colleges in the country so I find it ironic you get a bad rep on your education system.
The article didn't critcize NC's university system other than to mention that the funding for the state’s public universities hasn’t been restored to pre-recession levels.

What the the article did criticize was North Carolina’s education system at the public school primary/secondary level (K-12).

The article said that test scores are among the lowest in the nation, while New Jersey ranks No. 2.

It said that "per pupil spending in North Carolina during the 2008-09 school year was $8,867 — roughly half of what was spent in New Jersey that year, according to data from the National Education Association. In 2014-15, spending was even lower: $8,620, while New Jersey’s per pupil spending went from $16,090 in 2008-09 to $20,923 in 2014-15, according to the NEA data."

It also mentioned that "average teacher pay in North Carolina has dropped from $48,603 in 2008-09 to $47,783 in 2014-15."

It also mentioned some good:that NC's public school graduation rate is the highest that it's ever been - the rate went from 68.3 percent in 2006 to 83.8 percent in 2014, according to the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.

However, it’s still ranked 24th in the nation, according to the National Center of Education Statistics while New Jersey ranks third in the country with an 88 percent graduation rate.

Education at the primary and secondary level has been a major topic in this state at at least for the last almost 4 years that I have lived here. If you lived here, you would know that the NC legislature hasn't been giving teachers and education the priority that many residents of the state feel it deserves. The person quoted in this article, an economist at the University of North Carolina Greensboro Center for Business and Economic Research, was legitimately concerned about the future of the primary/secondary education system here in NC if the path the state is on continues. And keeping on topic, it was compared to the state of education in NJ; he wasn't just making up facts to criticize the state.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:20 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Are we for some reason not able to compare the pupil and teacher spending differentials against the low col that is the reason people leave jersey

Old 10-20-2015, 07:21 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
A school system is only good as how much they spend

Old 10-20-2015, 07:44 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I still don't get the need for "yankees". Just seems, regardless of what Southerners will say, derogatory. Kinda like a Northerner calling someone from the south a "redneck" every time they refer to them.

Anyway, you can be passionate, but make no mistake, the northern culture will creep into the way of life here in the south. It will not be all at once. It may take a generation or two, but the south will change, as will any area that experience large population shifts.
Do "rednecks" call "Yankees" that in person? Or vice versa? I am thinking not, but I'm not exactly a redneck.

Cary has already changed. Dramatically. Other areas have changed, but Cary is what I'm most familiar with.

I sometimes feel that people (even natives of the area) think Cary exists solely for transplants from the NE to live here. Which is annoying because it's not at all true.

Cary is just better than some parts of the Triangle at assimilating people from there. We're like a Borg hive over here.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:50 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I call Yankees, "Yankees." And some Yankees, I might call "rednecks."

"Redneck," IMO, connotes a lifestyle and culture. I know enough Pennsylvanians and New Yorkers who apparently actively embrace redneck culture, I usually say, "That's pretty redneck," without a thought to geography.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:02 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Given Cary's proximity to RTP I can see how transplants chose it. IBM and Nortel...Wasn't the beginning of the migration to the RTP area due in part to them, both with Northern roots?

For those outside of the initial migration, tech opportunities seemed narrowed down to a few locations: Mass, California, NC, Colorado, Austin. RTP tried to bill itself as the silicon valley of the east (wish I had a link to that 90's article) so that is what prompted me to accept an opportunity here in the mid nineties. The RTP tech growth in the 90s was nice and as a hiring manager at the time it was an easy sell for people seeking to relocate. Now, into the 2000's, at least where I work now, the transplant hiring was more from the west coast and northern-central states. What I recall hearing or reading was that the 2000's growth was heavy on transplants moving here to be near their kids and now grand kids. So, it was the second wave of northerners who moved here to be closer to the initial wave of northerners. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see more people with Asian roots moving to Cary NOW as compared to people from the north east. Anyway, maybe from the real estate community can fact check all of this This is my observation + a little bit of recall from conversations and readings past. Since tech is not what it used to be I can't speculate on where the Pharm people are coming from but for a while this looked to be the industry growing steadily in RTP.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:05 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

"Redneck," IMO, connotes a lifestyle and culture. I know enough Pennsylvanians and New Yorkers who apparently actively embrace redneck culture, I usually say, "That's pretty redneck," without a thought to geography.
Growing up in Pennsylvania, we'd call rural people "hicks" not "rednecks." I only associate the term "redneck" with the south.

I have never used the term "Yankee" except to refer to the baseball team or to sing Yankee Doodle Dandy. To me, it is a southern term that does not connote a good feeling when used to describe people from above the Mason-Dixon line. Even if a southerner says that he means nothing negative about the term, if you call me a Yankee, I automatically think of you as a redneck.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:15 AM

201 posts, read 190,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

I agree with this.

I know several New York transplants who are very much redneck at heart. It's like they were born in the wrong region and finally made it home. Guns, God, Nascar, and conservative politics is what they live for.

Last edited by jetwhisperer; 10-20-2015 at 08:38 AM..

Old 10-20-2015, 08:24 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
[/list]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoustoYall View Post
I can totally understand your passion, especially for the culture. To that point, what would you honestly consider NC/Raleigh area culture? My husband and I always try to look out and be mindful of what's just fluff and what's authentic. Where would you suggest we visit/see/spend time to experience true Carolina culture? i.e. if someone ever wanted to "experience New York", the last place I'd send them is Times Square!
  • Eat at Allen and Son BBQ on Millhouse Road between Chapel Hill and Hillsborough (not the location in Pittsboro).
  • Take in a Durham Bulls game and/or an ACC basketbal game (Duke v. UNC if possible).
  • Visit downtown Pittsboro for a great example of small NC town. Visit the antique stores, get a bite to eat, check out the confederate monument on the historic courthouse grounds.
  • Go see the band Southern Culture on the Skids at Cat's Cradle in Carrboro on December 12th.
  • Visit the Center for the Study of the American South at UNC. (Lectures, exhibits, music)
  • Read one of Clyde Edgerton's books.
  • Go to the State Fair.
  • Visit the Joel Lane house.
  • Visit Duke Chapel and the Sarah P. Duke gardens.
  • Visit historic Bennett Place.
  • NC Museum of History in downtown Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary