Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:23 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Naw, tomato pie is an actual pie made with tomatoes. I think it's more of a Deep South/Texas thing.
No, it's both, but very different. The other poster was correct - it is also a specific type of pizza in parts of NJ and PA. I've never had it cuz I didn't live in those parts, but have my eye on a specific place to try if I'm ever around there:

Trenton Tomato Pies Are Still A Staple of the New Jersey Pizza Scene-www.njmonthly.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 08:20 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
+1,000,000

If you call me a redneck, you'll get called something worse than yankee.
among some folks, I embrace some redneck traits. But for someone to say "if you call me a yankee, then I'm calling you a redneck", dem's purt near fightin' words.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:43 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
among some folks, I embrace some redneck traits. But for someone to say "if you call me a yankee, then I'm calling you a redneck", dem's purt near fightin' words.
If you're quoting me, then you're quoting me wrong. I said, "if you call me a Yankee, I automatically think of you as a redneck." Thinking and saying are two different things.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:11 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
I never knew calling someone from my area a Yankee was a thing until recently, and even then it was puzzling to me because it seemed to be used as an insult but I never felt that way about the term.

However, I agree with whoever said that it's all about tone and delivery. You could make any term an insult with derision in your voice and a sneer, can't you? After I returned from my trip there, some of my NY friends and family asked me about typical stereotypes - in their terms - rednecks, trailer parks, nascar, drawls. And they didn't quite believe me when I said it's just not the area that they're picturing, in our experience.

Ignorance comes out in all sorts of ways, investing in unfair stereotypes is one of them. If I try to explain things I know and experience as a native New Yorker or as someone looking to make myself a North Carolinian (is that the right term?) and they persist in stereotyping, it's not worth any further conversation on the subject.

Sometimes people revel in remaining completely unchanged, closed to possibilities, an immovable object. They are just not my kind of people regardless of where they're from or where they live now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
"Bless your heart" is merely an expression of sympathy. It DOES NOT necessarily mean anything snarky. It CAN be used sarcastically, but it can also be used sincerely. All depends on the tone of voice and intention.
This is why I bought a t-shirt that says Bless Your Heart while I was there. Read it and take it as you like. lol

Old 10-21-2015, 07:28 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ8SYlbR9w0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StDpLge_ITM

And then there is "Yankee Ingenuity."

I never consider "Yankee" an insult, unless there is a tone or context implying insult.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:30 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
I've heard it said with disdain here both on and off forum, and have heard it said with disdain up north, by Red Sox and Mets fans :-D

Old 10-21-2015, 07:42 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I call Yankees, "Yankees." And some Yankees, I might call "rednecks."

"Redneck," IMO, connotes a lifestyle and culture. I know enough Pennsylvanians and New Yorkers who apparently actively embrace redneck culture, I usually say, "That's pretty redneck," without a thought to geography.
I agree, there are parts of NJ and Penn that could be the definition of what most term "redneck"!!

IMO, though, the term Yankee is most often used in a subtlety derogatory manner. Funny thing is when I am referred to as a Yankee face to face, I'm least offended. I guess it is just the nature of the anonymity of the internet. People feel more comfortable using terms in a manner that they wouldn't in real life.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:52 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Not sure if this has been brought up yet; but there's a difference between a "Yankee" and a "Damn Yankee"...

Yankee: A person from the northeastern US who visits the south

Damn Yankee: A person from the northeastern US who moves to the south

I didn't make these up....just passing the word along!

Old 10-21-2015, 07:53 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Not sure if this has been brought up yet; but there's a difference between a "Yankee" and a "Damn Yankee"...

Yankee: A person from the northeastern US who visits the south

Damn Yankee: A person from the northeastern US who moves to the south

I didn't make these up....just passing the word along!

Thank you for confirming my original post.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:56 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Thank you for confirming my original post.
Please....obviously that was made in jest! It's just a common tongue and cheek saying.

Last edited by RedZin; 10-21-2015 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: Keep it civil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary