Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 08:20 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Unbelivable. My house was 150k, both my boys graduated high school, they both had gpa's good enough for 4 years of college.
Sing it Steven. In my local forum you encounter people who are convinced the schools are all worthless except the one their precious snowflake attends, plus a few in the higher priced area.

It doesn't occur to them a parent can get involved in their child's education and homework. Volunteer at the school, etc. I'm sick of paying taxes to build more schools in the suburbs because existing schools have been abandoned by wimps. And they brag about being wimps as if it is a badge of honor! Of course the school board and administration need to go the extra mile to make all schools great, bur a core of involved parents can help a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 08:26 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post

Pizza is played out in my opinion and when I lived in New York I got my bagels from Shop Rite. Now I get the Thomas bagels from my local Food Lion, its just a bagel.
Shop Rite has THE WORST bagels ever! Ugh! Even in North Carolina, I can find better bagels than Shop Rite.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:27 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
NC State is like the bad news bears of teams and have always been looking through the window to the historical, storied, basketball rivalry between Duke and Chapel Hill. To compensate for their lack of championships and really any significant place in the college basketball culture that makes the triangle their fans are super vocal and for some reason seem to think their enthusiasm can compensate for success.

It doesn't...
This.... is spot on.

ESPN didn't rank NC State fans the most delusional sports fanbase in the country for no reason.

I'll hand it to State that they don't have as many bandwagon fans as Carolina (admittedly) has....but that's because nobody should want to be associated with them if they aren't forced to by alumni status!

Old 10-07-2015, 08:43 PM

814 posts, read 911,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Shop Rite has THE WORST bagels ever! Ugh! Even in North Carolina, I can find better bagels than Shop Rite.
I liked Shop Rite, more so then A&P, Grand Union, Key Foods which is a northern version of Food Lion.Thomas bagels are good, the Lenders bagels arent bad but are too small and come frozen.

I start my day with a glass of juice, bowl of cereal, and half a buttered bagel or whole english muffin.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:57 PM

814 posts, read 911,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Sing it Steven. In my local forum you encounter people who are convinced the schools are all worthless except the one their precious snowflake attends, plus a few in the higher priced area.

It doesn't occur to them a parent can get involved in their child's education and homework. Volunteer at the school, etc. I'm sick of paying taxes to build more schools in the suburbs because existing schools have been abandoned by wimps. And they brag about being wimps as if it is a badge of honor! Of course the school board and administration need to go the extra mile to make all schools great, bur a core of involved parents can help a lot.
I agree. An education is a wonderful thing and most think education only means college, there are master electricians making 100,000 per year, college is not the only way to be successful.

The northern states host 4 of the top schools in the country with Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and MIT.

The south has an Ivy League as well but sometimes it is labeled as the Magnolia Seven, Duke, Vanderbilt, UVA, Williams and Mary are a few of those schools who make up that list.

You get out of education what you put into it, Harvard, Yale, and Princeton are more white privilege type schools, your Brads, Buffy's, and Thurston's you'll find more of in those enviornments.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:54 AM

913 posts, read 885,767 times
Quote:
I went from NY to Va and had no problem adjusting to the southern culture, to be honest I like it better. Down here is not New York and honestly this obsession with pizza and bagels baffles me.

Pizza is played out in my opinion and when I lived in New York I got my bagels from Shop Rite. Now I get the Thomas bagels from my local Food Lion, its just a bagel.

NY, CT, NJ, they are all in trouble because they cannot continue to tax the people so heavily that they feel poor. The northern states are very democratic and if they dont change their ways ya'll might become the next Detroit.
The northern blue states are paying higher Federal taxes to support the needy red states. They pay more and take less.

Which States Take the Most From the U.S. Government? - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Old 10-08-2015, 05:50 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,314 times
Something I've always wondered... how many transplants realize once they get there that it's not the right fit for them and then move again? I see the stats and how there's a lot of influx into the area, but do you see a lot of people who give it a few months or years and then go somewhere else?

Old 10-08-2015, 06:23 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
The northern blue states are paying higher Federal taxes to support the needy red states. They pay more and take less.

Which States Take the Most From the U.S. Government? - Real Time Economics - WSJ
Ummmm. The feds tax us all, no matter what state we reside in, using the same tax code. Entitlements for poor people account but for a tiny fraction of the federal budget, no matter who gets them.

If the "blue states" pay more, it's because their residents make more. It's not because NE states are taxed at a higher federal rate than other states.

Let us not forget the large swaths of "red" in rural areas blue states. Pennsylvania is an excellent example.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:23 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Something I've always wondered... how many transplants realize once they get there that it's not the right fit for them and then move again? I see the stats and how there's a lot of influx into the area, but do you see a lot of people who give it a few months or years and then go somewhere else?
Depends on how many can find jobs elsewhere, probably.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:31 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Quote:
I liked Shop Rite, more so then A&P, Grand Union, Key Foods which is a northern version of Food Lion.Thomas bagels are good, the Lenders bagels arent bad but are too small and come frozen.

I start my day with a glass of juice, bowl of cereal, and half a buttered bagel or whole english muffin.
Hah! And again.... Hah!

I'm no bagel snob, not even close. But there's more than a fine line between Thomas/Lenders and a legitimate, good bagel. Actually, it's more like a chasm of near epic proportions. I can (and have) made a strong argument that Brueggers makes about as good a bagel as anything I grew up with in NYC. But mass distribution and frozen bagels? No, nope, no way. Stating that "Lenders bagels aren't bad" in relation to a good bagel is the same as saying "DiGiorno's pizza isn't bad" in relation to a legitimate slice of pizza.

And I always thought Waldbaums was closer to Food Lion. Actually, whenever I walk into most Food Lions it makes me nostalgic for my childhood when my parents would go grocery shopping every Wednesday and it was a major event in our lives. Key Food always seemed little better than a corner bodega to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary