Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 08:46 AM

913 posts, read 885,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
If you read the article it explains what states get back on the dollar. For example. States like Mississippi get over 3.00 back for every tax dollar paid (in other words they profit 2.00 for every 1.00 they pay) which in turn lowers their tax burden. = lower taxes.

Now who do you think is supplying that profit of 2.00 of federal aid for every 1.00 taxed? That would be the states receiving less money in federal aid for every tax dollar spent. Mod edit
Not sure how what I wrote was a snarkish comment, so I will rephrase it. The article explains how it equals lower taxes and how some states are givers and some are takers. It is an interesting read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 08:51 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
as someone born and raised here, in a family of Dukies, who then attended NC State, I can assure you and any others this is an inaccurate statement.

When the UNC and within-our-own-ranks lynch mob took Jimmy V down, NC State and UNC-CH were clearly the top 2. But we have indeed been a 3rd fiddle since. But before that time, NC State's success was MUCH greater than Duke's and State had as many national titles - 2 - as UNC. I *think* at that time we had as many ACC Titles as UNC, but I am certainly willing to admit error. I know State had >>>>> ACC Titles than Duke, and Duke had not won any National Titles yet.

Perhaps if the UNC System, the NCAA, and the ACC came down on UNC-CH commensurate to their transgressions over the last 20+ years, then their basketball program would be decimated for a lot longer than the 25 years State has.
You're definitely right that State used to rival UNC. I was born in 1970 and it was all about State-Carolina when I was a kid. Duke's basketball team was bad until K got here. I mean, all three were rivals (and Wake Forest, given the 4 made up half the ACC then) but State was really holding their own.

On the the other hand, the culture of the NCAA was much worse when State got popped. They would have hardly gotten any sanctions at all for what they did if it were now. They did get hurt, but since then, they've also made a string of pretty bad hires, both on the AD side of things and coaching, so they are not suffering from the sanctions of the 80s all alone.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:59 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
Not sure how what I wrote was a snarkish comment, so I will rephrase it. The article explains how it equals lower taxes and how some states are givers and some are takers. It is an interesting read.
It is. Thank you for posting the article.

I misread a line and misread it to read snarkish. My bad. Sorry. I went back and corrected it. I must be very rusty.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:06 AM

913 posts, read 885,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
It is. Thank you for posting the article.

I misread a line and misread it to read snarkish. My bad. Sorry. I went back and corrected it. I must be very rusty.
No problem, thanks!

Old 10-08-2015, 09:10 AM

714 posts, read 721,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
Yankees (or like myself Mets are everywhere! I would focus on keeping your commute reasonable to wehre you want to live.
Yay for transplanted Mets fans! There is a Meetup group for Triangle Mets fans but I don't know how active it is. (I plan to find out, though!)

Old 10-08-2015, 09:13 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I was born in 1970 and it was all about State-Carolina when I was a kid. Duke's basketball team was bad until K got here.
Bad? NCAA Final Four '63, '64, '66. Vic Bubas ring a bell? NCAA Tournament runner up in '78 under Bill Foster. There really was a Duke before K

Old 10-08-2015, 09:50 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
I had read the article before. It is an interesting article.

My point was that you can live in NY or in NC and your FEDERAL tax rate won't change unless your income does.

So, the stuff about how NE "blue" states pay more than "red" states in the South is irrelevant when discussing an individual family's financial reasons for moving.

State taxes are ABSOLUTELY relevant, though.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:01 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Hah! And again.... Hah!

I'm no bagel snob, not even close. But there's more than a fine line between Thomas/Lenders and a legitimate, good bagel. Actually, it's more like a chasm of near epic proportions. I can (and have) made a strong argument that Brueggers makes about as good a bagel as anything I grew up with in NYC. But mass distribution and frozen bagels? No, nope, no way. Stating that "Lenders bagels aren't bad" in relation to a good bagel is the same as saying "DiGiorno's pizza isn't bad" in relation to a legitimate slice of pizza.

And I always thought Waldbaums was closer to Food Lion. Actually, whenever I walk into most Food Lions it makes me nostalgic for my childhood when my parents would go grocery shopping every Wednesday and it was a major event in our lives. Key Food always seemed little better than a corner bodega to me.
Completely agree with the bold. I was up in Phila. in August, and my mom bought Shop Rite bagels because she's lazy and didn't feel like making a special trip to the bagel shop, and "they're not too bad toasted." I could barely finish one and didn't eat any the rest of the week. And told her in no uncertain terms that if we're traveling from NC to see her, the next time we visit, she better get the bagels from the good bagel shop!

Old 10-08-2015, 11:04 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Now that I think about it, it is more appealing if a newcomer talks about what he finds appealing and attracting re the new area rather than why he wants to leave his old area. To those of us living here, we don't want to feel our area is simply 'available' as an alternative to high cost/density/annoying areas but rather that the triangle would be a great destination no matter how much you love the old place. It may not be rational of us, but it is a nuance to consider. For example, "Why did you move to the Triangle?" Answer not "I wanted to leave the high taxes, cost of housing, rat race, rude people, too much traffic" but instead "I wanted to enjoy the hospitality of Raleigh, to try all the great restaurants, to be close to great golf".
SO very true. Uber-Rep. But unfortunately, we all see the posts from people determined to come here "because they want to get away from [where they live]" as opposed to "because I have researched NC and find that it's the best place for where I want to be".

The first group are the ones who move wanting less congestion and then start squawking that there isn't a fancy grocery store within 10 miles of them that carries a particular Kosher brand only found in the Northeast ("and what do WE plan to do about it ?!?!?"). Don't be one of them.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:08 AM

547 posts, read 774,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
Yay for transplanted Mets fans! There is a Meetup group for Triangle Mets fans but I don't know how active it is. (I plan to find out, though!)
I'm part of it, just haven't had a chance to get to a meetup:

Triangle Mets Fans (Raleigh, NC) - Meetup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary