Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 07:49 AM

21 posts, read 33,844 times

Advertisements

No judgement here!! Just wondering!!

I am a NJ native looking to relocate to the Triangle in the next few months pending a job offer for my husband (fingers crossed!) I'm finding the areas we're looking (Holly Springs, Apex, Cary) are almost entirely comprised of Yankees! To a degree, that's comforting but on the other hand, that's what we're trying to get away from!

Just wondering on a whole, is there an unspoken resentment towards all the re-locators from NC natives? There are just so many of us!! It is good for the economy, though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 07:54 AM

464 posts, read 1,043,975 times
As long as folks truly try to integrate and not try to make NC exactly like it was up north while constantly complaining about why we do things like we do down here or that you can no longer get good X (usually pizza or a numerous other number of items in threads) you will be fine.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:57 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoustoYall View Post
No judgement here!! Just wondering!!

I am a NJ native looking to relocate to the Triangle in the next few months pending a job offer for my husband (fingers crossed!) I'm finding the areas we're looking (Holly Springs, Apex, Cary) are almost entirely comprised of Yankees! To a degree, that's comforting but on the other hand, that's what we're trying to get away from!

Just wondering on a whole, is there an unspoken resentment towards all the re-locators from NC natives? There are just so many of us!! It is good for the economy, though
I live in Cary and I'm a native. We do exist.

If you're looking in new construction neighborhoods, you're bound to find a higher percentage of transplants, though.

Nobody minds transplants as long as they are happy here and not bitching about the place all the time. Nobody wants to hear that mess.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:58 AM

252 posts, read 275,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
As long as folks truly try to integrate and not try to make NC exactly like it was up north while constantly complaining about why we do things like we do down here or that you can no longer get good X (usually pizza or a numerous other number of items in threads) you will be fine.
Bingo, nothing more frustrating than people moving here because where they came from sucked, then trying to turn this area into what they left.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:03 AM

Yeah, I completely understand that mentality. I guess a part of me was hoping/wondering if that was the case (transplants trying to make it their own). Glad to know it's not!

Old 10-07-2015, 08:09 AM

5,340 posts, read 3,212,693 times
As a transplanted Yankee, I have not encountered any resentment or anything along those lines. Just be a good neighbor! Now if you come here and talk about how things are so much better up north, then yeah you will probably get some looks. Even as a transplant that bugs me because I moved here because I liked the area, not to make it exactly like it was where I left!

Pick a college team to root for. I learned that lesson, although I said it in jest, the looks I got were priceless. Someone asked me what my favorite college teams were and I said "None, I'm from Boston. We have real teams there". Now I say it jokingly just to get a response but apparently college is the thing here. Been here 9 years and still don't care if Duke beats Carolina or vice versa. I'll probably get kicked off the Raleigh forum for saying that!

But seriously you'll be fine. Lots of good people here, transplant and native.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:23 AM

Exactly. We're moving mostly for a better cost of living but we're slowing down. As it is, we never go to NYC (too fussy and expensive!), we're home bodies looking to start a family in a nice home and community. Sure I'll miss my occasional Yankee game or Broadway show but it's not like we can't ever come back. The list of things we want to get away from is longer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
As a transplanted Yankee, I have not encountered any resentment or anything along those lines. Just be a good neighbor! Now if you come here and talk about how things are so much better up north, then yeah you will probably get some looks. Even as a transplant that bugs me because I moved here because I liked the area, not to make it exactly like it was where I left!

Pick a college team to root for. I learned that lesson, although I said it in jest, the looks I got were priceless. Someone asked me what my favorite college teams were and I said "None, I'm from Boston. We have real teams there". Now I say it jokingly just to get a response but apparently college is the thing here. Been here 9 years and still don't care if Duke beats Carolina or vice versa. I'll probably get kicked off the Raleigh forum for saying that!

But seriously you'll be fine. Lots of good people here, transplant and native.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:31 AM

547 posts, read 774,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoustoYall View Post
Exactly. We're moving mostly for a better cost of living but we're slowing down. As it is, we never go to NYC (too fussy and expensive!), we're home bodies looking to start a family in a nice home and community. Sure I'll miss my occasional Yankee game or Broadway show but it's not like we can't ever come back. The list of things we want to get away from is longer!!
Yankees (or like myself Mets are everywhere! I would focus on keeping your commute reasonable to wehre you want to live.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:39 AM

341 posts, read 296,541 times
We're full

Old 10-07-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
Yankees (or like myself Mets are everywhere! I would focus on keeping your commute reasonable to wehre you want to live.
With the way it's going and all my friends/family that I talk to, in 10 years the NY metro area will be a barren wasteland and the south will be packed to capacity!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary