Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 08:47 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times

Advertisements

Don't skimp on the pics. I'm willing to bet, just based on your post alone that Lucettegrace gets several new customers. It's a great local business and positive exposure can't be wrong. Just to add to its credentials,the owner is a former pastry chef of Herons 5 star restaurant. He is creating a whole new level of pastries and desserts that are accessible to everyone without a $$$$ dinner. It's not cheap like a donut shop and no they don't have napoleons, but each item is a work of art and taste equally impressive. Larry's beans (local) is the coffee served so win win.

That Dixie cannonball I mentioned earlier: cheddar and scallion biscuit filled with warm sausage gravy. Awesome eastern bbq pimento cheese corn muffins too. Savory or sweet,they got it....

Your post is inspiring for even current residents. There's so much stuff to do here that we sometimes forget about or just to lazy to do. You've shamed us into getting out there and ditching our complacency. Welcome to the Triangle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 08:57 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I thought everyone might think me strange for posting so many food pics but with all the talk here about restaurants, pizza, bagels, etc I took a chance that someone might be interested. I miss those meals already!

You're absolutely right, that there are many areas that suit and that makes it a little harder to whittle down a list. All in due time!

There was a thread here about it a while ago (I searched because I naturally want to say "raw lay" and still catch myself) and "raw lee" seemed to be a front runner. What do you think?

It's only my first trip, but I'd be happy to help if I can. I'm not sure what you're looking for but we quite enjoyed our time there.

I know it's a big area but we drove all around the area bordered by 540, 440, 70, and 401/1. I also noticed a bunch of rental places, but I'd have to find one that was dog-friendly and I'm thinking renting a small house might be better for that situation. If I can find it.

Thanks for the breakfast suggestion. We do love our breakfasts!

Thank you!! When I posted my proposed itinerary, everyone said it was too much but I think we did pretty good! We did take a couple of things off the list, and we didn't feel rushed at any time.

Durham sounds like a place we would visit but maybe not settle around that area. That will be my next area of research, points west of the city but I have a feeling that we'll keep coming back to North Raleigh and Garner.

I'm so glad you liked it! I thought I was being a little too detailed, it took me a long time to type it out lol

Dixie Cannonball is officially on the list! We just happened to walk past the house, I like little discoveries like that. I would definitely visit again on Halloween too. Could you imagine what he would do if he had even more room?

I knew going in that downtown wasn't that large but I feel like it was just right. Raleigh is the kind of city I would like to work in, and I've never wanted to work in a city before.

I've had pain au chocolate before (in France even) and sometimes they focus on the chocolate portion rather than the pastry but this had the best consistency. Buttery and flaky without being overly dry or dripping. If you don't mind paying a bit more for it, it's a nice place for breakfast. With free wifi too and their bathrooms were very clean. (97% sanitary rating lol) We probably could have been satisfied with the coffee and one pastry but I couldn't resist a second.
Easiest way I can describe it would be to say that "Raleigh" rhymes with "trolley"

Old 10-18-2015, 09:15 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Don't skimp on the pics. I'm willing to bet, just based on your post alone that Lucettegrace gets several new customers. It's a great local business and positive exposure can't be wrong. Just to add to its credentials,the owner is a former pastry chef of Herons 5 star restaurant. He is creating a whole new level of pastries and desserts that are accessible to everyone without a $$$$ dinner. It's not cheap like a donut shop and no they don't have napoleons, but each item is a work of art and taste equally impressive. Larry's beans (local) is the coffee served so win win.

That Dixie cannonball I mentioned earlier: cheddar and scallion biscuit filled with warm sausage gravy. Awesome eastern bbq pimento cheese corn muffins too. Savory or sweet,they got it....

Your post is inspiring for even current residents. There's so much stuff to do here that we sometimes forget about or just to lazy to do. You've shamed us into getting out there and ditching our complacency. Welcome to the Triangle
Ohhh man that really sounds great. I am absolutely a buy local advocate as well, and it means more to me to support those endeavors. You're right about the works of art, it was why I was inspired to take photos in the first place. My husband laughed at me because I was removing the little chocolate beads off my custard three at a time with my fork. The amount of work put into food like that makes me want to savor it, eat slow, and enjoy each part.

There's a restaurant close to where I live that is very expensive so we only visit once every other month or on special occasions. But it is an event eating there, so we keep going back. The chef makes a different tasting menu every night with all local ingredients, and he mixes the flavors in ways I just don't have the creativity to think of myself. Some people don't like that they can't pick and choose what you want, but they do make substitutions for allergies or dislikes. The chef will come out and deliver one of the courses himself and chat with us a minute. They know my name by now, and do special things like playing our wedding song over the speakers when we went there for our anniversary. We will miss special things like that, but I know that we will enjoy finding it again in a place like Raleigh.

I love the thought of inspiring people to try out these restaurants! I'll do my best to do it again next trip and inundate you all with pictures lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Easiest way I can describe it would be to say that "Raleigh" rhymes with "trolley"
That's pretty close to how I naturally want to pronounce it, but the NY accent already has "aww" sounds that creep into our words so it comes out a bit different. I don't necessarily want to hide my accent when I go other places but I don't like being made fun of either, so I like to at least know if I'm saying it wrong.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:26 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
good stuff!

Old 10-18-2015, 01:53 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
We have those kind of restaurants as well. The chefs table at Second Empire is highly praised in that regard.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:39 PM

5,343 posts, read 3,212,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
That's when I noticed what some of you said - there are no lights on the sides of the highways. It was unnerving for someone who doesn't know the area. I just stayed to the right and drove slower than everyone else.
I've been here 10 years and I still find it unnerving! Not a fan of the dark roads everywhere.

Sounds like you got to take in a lot for your trip, awesome!

Old 10-19-2015, 06:27 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
I think dark is the norm and lights blazing on the roads are weird and cause light pollution, but then I'm not really a city person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary