Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 09:08 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
we considered Long Island, Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx but soon realized that we wanted more of a Yankee, NE environment and fell in love with the Triangle. More Yankees and better COL ....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 11:02 AM

650 posts, read 929,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
For those escaping high COL or cold what other places did you consider?
I had my pick of any college. I knew that where I went to college probley would be where I would live. Being from the NE, I visited Providence, New Jersey, Palo Alto, Atlanta, cincinnati-oh, Columbia SC, and Raleigh. Raleigh was it with the ocean on one side and the mountains on the other, new and growing, the research triangle park w/ technology and the Capital of the State. Florida is a sand bar and I liked California to visit but did not want to raise a family there. I just didn't get it. Clemson was in the woods and Columbia SC (Gamecocks) was my second choice.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:09 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
we considered long island, queens, brooklyn, and the bronx but soon realized that we wanted more of a yankee, ne environment and fell in love with the triangle. More yankees and better col ....

Old 10-24-2015, 11:40 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
We specifically choose the Southpoint area of Durham for it's central location and suburban feel. Once we learned the area, we lived in Cary and very NE FV. We much prefer the suburbs over the actual city, but that is our personal preference. YMMV!

Prior to that we were considering VA, but decided on NC instead. We think that was a wise move, as it worked out very well for us. No real complaints, other than a surprising lack of a substaintial variety of "quality" foodie options. We "assumed" that because so many people were moving there from all of the country and world, that many would bring quality cusuine, especially hoping for a wide variety of styles of quality Q. Never found a place that does Q as good as other places and other types of foodie options are there, just not in the quantity we had "assumed"....and I include both cities in that. I think that was our only misunderstanding or poor "assumption", which was our own fault for not becoming knowledgable enough and in the grand scheme of things was really not that big of a deal, as there are plenty of traditional places to eat at.

Other than that, we were very happy there and found our own little paradise...which we very much enjoyed and prospered in. Hard to find much fault and why look for it anyhow....LOL!

We have since moved to the gulf coast location of Palm Harbor and love it. I was really enjoying the heck out of the place, but then health issues took that away. My wife is still able to get out to enjoy paradise and thankfully my parents have moved down with us to help take care of me. All in all, I feel blessed for having been able to live in and enjoy both places. I still have many great friends up in the Raleigh area, which mean so much to me. Wonderful people we met, including Lisa and Jenny.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:33 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
We specifically choose the Southpoint area of Durham for it's central location and suburban feel. Once we learned the area, we lived in Cary and very NE FV. We much prefer the suburbs over the actual city, but that is our personal preference. YMMV!

Prior to that we were considering VA, but decided on NC instead. We think that was a wise move, as it worked out very well for us. No real complaints, other than a surprising lack of a substaintial variety of "quality" foodie options. We "assumed" that because so many people were moving there from all of the country and world, that many would bring quality cusuine, especially hoping for a wide variety of styles of quality Q. Never found a place that does Q as good as other places and other types of foodie options are there, just not in the quantity we had "assumed"....and I include both cities in that. I think that was our only misunderstanding or poor "assumption", which was our own fault for not becoming knowledgable enough and in the grand scheme of things was really not that big of a deal, as there are plenty of traditional places to eat at.

Other than that, we were very happy there and found our own little paradise...which we very much enjoyed and prospered in. Hard to find much fault and why look for it anyhow....LOL!

We have since moved to the gulf coast location of Palm Harbor and love it. I was really enjoying the heck out of the place, but then health issues took that away. My wife is still able to get out to enjoy paradise and thankfully my parents have moved down with us to help take care of me. All in all, I feel blessed for having been able to live in and enjoy both places. I still have many great friends up in the Raleigh area, which mean so much to me. Wonderful people we met, including Lisa and Jenny.
I sincerely hope that your health improves and you are able to get to enjoy beautiful Palm Harbor!!!!

Old 10-24-2015, 02:18 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Moved here from FL and I love it. There wasn't really a second choice. I was previously living in Tampa, and I guess I would have moved to Orlando if not for Raleigh. But I have also lived in California and multiple countries. Raleigh was where I knew I wanted to be at this time.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:37 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I sincerely hope that your health improves and you are able to get to enjoy beautiful Palm Harbor!!!!
Thx very much LJD. While that is not in the cards for me, I appreciate your kind words and caring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Moved here from FL and I love it. There wasn't really a second choice. I was previously living in Tampa, and I guess I would have moved to Orlando if not for Raleigh. But I have also lived in California and multiple countries. Raleigh was where I knew I wanted to be at this time.
Quality life is short and one should always live where they want to be. I am thrilled for you, although we miss your regular posting in the TB forum.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:58 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Quality life is short and one should always live where they want to be. I am thrilled for you, although we miss your regular posting in the TB forum.
Thanks! I've been posting over there, just not as much. I haven't been on C-D much at all really.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:03 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
I moved here because my ex was working half time in central NY and half time in Cary. I had no big motivation to stay in NY, the economy was so bad and it was hard to find work. I was very happy to move here, no hesitation at all.

Left to my own decision, I would have moved back to Richmond, I went to college there and loved the city, plus it is closer to my parents and brother.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:12 AM

610 posts, read 746,365 times
First time we tried to move north we did a trip here to check out Charlotte (I didn't like it, he did), Winston-Salem (I liked it, he didn't) and Raleigh (he liked it and I had no objection). Then the bottom fell out of the real estate market and we were stuck in FL for an extra 3 years.

This time, it was my hometown Pittsburgh, followed by the Fredericksburg, VA area, with this place being third. Unlike before, it was totally dependent upon where we could get a decent job. Raleigh won that race hands down.

I like it here, so no regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary