Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 12:37 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,253,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Interesting how some folks call areas like Harnett County "down east" when they won't say the same for Raleigh. I don't necessarily care, but it's just interesting.
"Down East" is actually Carteret County. If they call Harnett County "down east" they're misusing the nickname. I'd call Harnett County Eastern NC, though. It might be a little more Sandhills in portions, but not Piedmont I don't think. Definitely Coastal Plain.

To me, east of Raleigh is Eastern NC. Zebulon and Wilson I could see, but not Raleigh. That's what they teach in school: http://ncpedia.org/geography/landforms

Quote:
I'd definitely place Durham and Chapel Hill in the same neighborhood as Raleigh, those two don't really have any connections with the Triad counties. Mebane is basically the dividing line, at least in my opinion. Interesting they didn't place Durham in the Eastern part of the state.
Chapel Hill and Hillsborough have a connection with Alamance County, which is more Triad. Southern Alamance (Saxapahaw, Mebane) especially, but also Burlington somewhat. I know a lot of folks who would take their kids to Burlington City Park instead of Pullen Park. Saxapahaw is tight with Carrboro. Definite kinship there.

Triangle counties are Wake, Durham Orange, Chatham, portions of Johnston, a sliver of Harnett, any more?

Triad counties: Guilford, Forsyth, Alamance, parts of Davidson, parts of Randolph, not sure of any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 01:14 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,885,259 times
I still say Raleigh is at least in the gray area of eastern North Carolina

Old 10-27-2015, 01:16 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,375,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
"Down East" is actually Carteret County. If they call Harnett County "down east" they're misusing the nickname. I'd call Harnett County Eastern NC, though. It might be a little more Sandhills in portions, but not Piedmont I don't think. Definitely Coastal Plain.
I agree about Harnett Co not being "down east" or anywhere close however, I always thought the term was used for a general grouping of counties (Carteret as you say but also Pamlico, Jones, Craven, maybe Beaufort and Washington, etc) that aren't exactly Outerbanks counties but are different the more western Coastal Plain counties than say, Wayne, Green, Lenoir, etc.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:54 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,253,512 times
I think people do use it that way, but historically it specifically refers to Carteret County, maybe sometimes Ocracoke or Hatteras, but specifically east Carteret, places like Atlantic, Cedar Island, Harker's Island, etc.

I've seen people/organizations from Wilmington to Rocky Mount use it more recently. I guess it makes good marketing.

http://jackbetts.blogspot.com/2009/0...down-east.html

Old 10-27-2015, 04:10 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,569,565 times
Raleigh feels like the urban/suburban gateway to Eastern NC more than it feels like true Eastern NC. As previous posts have alluded to, it also draws from a much larger trade area to the east than to the west.

Raleigh (and much of the Triangle) does have a discernibly different look in the land than points west which is more similar to much of Eastern NC than areas of the Piedmont like the Triad. The Raleigh area has noticeably more pine trees and sandier soil (especially in the Southern/Eastern areas like Johnston County). The difference between Raleigh/the Triangle and points to the east is that the Triangle is much hillier in places (especially if heading towards and within Chapel Hill).

Last edited by Jowel; 10-27-2015 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Minor clerical corrections

Old 10-27-2015, 06:45 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,058,290 times
No. I don't associate Raleigh with eastern NC. Raleigh is clearly part of the Piedmont as the eastern anchor of the Piedmont Crescent.
One can argue that the (now) far eastern suburbs of Raleigh in Johnston County start feeling like eastern NC but those areas really weren't as connected to Raleigh in the past like they are becoming now. Count me among those who would draw the line at I-95 before it truly becomes strictly eastern NC culturally and topographically.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:48 AM

1,287 posts, read 1,583,822 times
ENC is connected to Raleigh, but Raleigh is not connected to ENC. it's because it's close by, a large city (comparatively), and the state capital.

Cable TV in Greenville & Kinston have always carried WRAL and we can also still get home delivery of the N&O. Traditionally ENC's farmers' sons went off to NCSU.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:56 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,058,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
ENC is connected to Raleigh, but Raleigh is not connected to ENC. it's because it's close by, a large city (comparatively), and the state capital.
This is a good point.
In a way, Raleigh's relationship to eastern NC is like Charlotte's relationship to South Carolina. Charlotte is not in SC but folks in its sphere of influence there are much more connected to the city than vice versa.

Like the other 2 core Triangle municipalities, Raleigh looks inward primarily and toward RTP secondarily. The suburbs look to cores and to RTP as well. IMO, only the far eastern or southeastern suburbs of Raleigh even really look toward the east for identity.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:24 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,959,092 times
I see two cultural poles in nc you are either part of the Appalachia or coastal culture and the foot hills and sand hills extend well into the triangle

The Piedmont doesn't have much a culture per se it's too cosmopolitan

That being said draw a diagnol line and put the triangle on the east and triad Charlotte on the west and there ya go

Old 10-28-2015, 03:35 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,467,441 times
It's true that the areas around Durham or North Raleigh don't look like Eastern NC. Those areas have the red hills and pine trees, while Eastern NC is much more flat and swampy in parts. Just drive from Raleigh to Creedmoor on Highway 50 and you'll get a good glimpse. It doesn't necessarily look like Winston-Salem or areas further west, but it also doesn't look anything like Rocky Mount, Kinston, Greenville, etc.

Towns like Zebulon and Clayton do have a slight Eastern NC flavor. Other towns southwest of Raleigh like Fuquay-Varina, Lillington, and Sanford might feel a bit more Sandhill-ish. I guess towns further north like Oxford or Louisburg would qualify as Piedmont. Anyone agree or disagree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary