Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 01:06 PM

20 posts, read 31,525 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know whether any of the universities do annual piano sales, besides Duke? I understand that Duke's is held in July each year. Does NC State or Chapel Hill (or any other nearby college) do something similar? We'd love to take advantage of a well maintained used piano, but don't want to wait until next summer. Thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 01:24 PM

634 posts, read 908,671 times
A neighbor of ours bought one from UNC-Chapel Hill (Kawai upright, from a practice room), about 10 years ago.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:00 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,105,428 times
join Nextdoor
surf craigslist

Old 10-22-2015, 02:20 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,239,764 times
Yes, UNC has an annual piano sale. I get a little postcard every year. I think it may be in the spring or summer, too, though. I can't remember. Not really in the market for a piano.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:07 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,418,450 times
I believe UNC's is usually in the summer.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:14 PM

3,227 posts, read 3,515,970 times
Are university piano sales really a deal? I know nothing about pianos, but not sure why buying one from a university is the way to go. Wouldn't it be better to take it off the hands of a failing music school? Do universities refresh their piano stock that regularly? Is the device really at the end of its useful life when they sell it?

Old 10-23-2015, 12:44 PM

20 posts, read 31,525 times
Thanks for the replies! Yes, cheapdad00, university sales are a great source since you are a buying a piece that was kept maintained and tuned, which is the main issue with buying a used piano. They are also often replaced yearly, so in great shape. I'll keep searching craigslist etc. since we really don't want to wait until next summer though.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:54 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,976,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Are university piano sales really a deal? I know nothing about pianos, but not sure why buying one from a university is the way to go. Wouldn't it be better to take it off the hands of a failing music school? Do universities refresh their piano stock that regularly? Is the device really at the end of its useful life when they sell it?
How many failing music schools are there, and how many pianos do they own?

Vs.

How many pianos are there at a large university?

Old 10-27-2015, 09:00 AM

600 posts, read 3,442,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxslc View Post
Does anyone know whether any of the universities do annual piano sales, besides Duke? I understand that Duke's is held in July each year. Does NC State or Chapel Hill (or any other nearby college) do something similar? We'd love to take advantage of a well maintained used piano, but don't want to wait until next summer. Thanks in advance....
I have one that I will sell remarkably cheap. It is a large cabinet upright originally made as a player piano circa 1925. Story & Clark. Send me a DM with contact info and I'll fill in all the details.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 10-27-2015, 09:47 AM

3,227 posts, read 3,515,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxslc View Post
Thanks for the replies! Yes, cheapdad00, university sales are a great source since you are a buying a piece that was kept maintained and tuned, which is the main issue with buying a used piano. They are also often replaced yearly, so in great shape. I'll keep searching craigslist etc. since we really don't want to wait until next summer though.
Thanks for the answer. So why is the University replacing pianos annually, especially if they are well maintained and tuned? [Streamer has one that is almost a century old, presumably they don't wear out that quickly, even if used 8 hrs a day vs. 1 hr a day in a private residence]

Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: