U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 07:09 PM

8,708 posts, read 8,355,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Sounds like that would require a lot of construction to build the overpasses, and probably a lot of land-taking to widen the right of way at every overpass.
Certainly a lot of construction, but it makes all the difference in the world.

I suppose the land-taking thing would be dependent on each road. They somehow are making it work here and we are much more built up than up there.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 07:10 PM

8,708 posts, read 8,355,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Would that be considered a jug handle or a super street or a Michigan left? Or something completely different? I've learned so many traffic terms on here lately.
Not a superstreet as described in this thread and I have no idea what the other two are.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material

Old 10-31-2015, 08:21 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,028,167 times
A Michigan Left Turn is where you take a right and then u-turn.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:10 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,251,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Certainly a lot of construction, but it makes all the difference in the world.

I suppose the land-taking thing would be dependent on each road. They somehow are making it work here and we are much more built up than up there.
Are they converting existing interchanges in built-up neighborhoods, or building new ones from scratch?

Old 11-01-2015, 12:57 PM

6,081 posts, read 7,035,284 times
I like the jughandles. Saw some in NJ. If you want to turn left onto a divided road you get into the right lane which has its own separate light for making that left turn when the cross traffic is stopped. If there are a hundred left turners that just means the right lane is filled from far back with left-turners. Very safe.

With the superstreets, a left turner turns right into the main traffic lanes on eg. NC55 (which of course should have emptied), then crosses over all of the traffic lanes on that side of the road and enters one of two U-turn lanes that allow the driver to reverse direction and thus end up traveling to the left on the far side of the divided hwy. Crossing over those lanes with options of which lane to end up in makes for a mess.

Also, consider where NC540 (toll road) dumps onto the main state road NC55 right before a super street is desired. If the super street comes in there will be a constant flow of traffic that needs to be merged into and crossed by the left-turners before they can make their U-turn. Mess-ey!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:49 AM

973 posts, read 538,974 times
Quote:
Why not just do overpasses instead. That is what they have done / are doing with horrific US19 here and it really helps.
The town looked into that and it was too expensive. I want to say it was upwards of $20 million but don't quote me on that. It was a few years ago I had the conversation. I agree that may be one of the better options, but I think that the town is on the hook for a majority of the cost (if not all) because if you deviate from the State's super street then you bear the cost.

Despite what people have read in brochures, the super street on 55 byp fails because there is too much cross traffic. Putting in a reverse super street at Avent Ferry and extending Main St does not alleviate the need for people to cross the bypass. You're simply moving the stop lights a few hundred feet, the same people still need to cross the bypass.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:10 AM

6,081 posts, read 7,035,284 times
So an overpass from Avent Ferry that sweeps left (N) toward Apex is out? That does seem to be a good idea in overcoming the potential chaos.

But of course the transportation designers might wait to re-visit that idea until after the new NC540 interchange is created between NC55 and US1--if the county and town are smart, they will add connector roads that go over toward the planned interchange from the multiple subdivisions to the west of NC55. Then possibly there won't be so much of a need for changes at Avent Ferry and NC55 since rush hour folks will take 540 from that new interchange and never need to get on NC55.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:14 AM

973 posts, read 538,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
So an overpass from Avent Ferry that sweeps left (N) toward Apex is out? That does seem to be a good idea in overcoming the potential chaos.
No the overpass that was investigated (and the cheapest) was making 55 byp fly over Avent Ferry. It's just too tight of an intersection there.

The right answer (or at least one of the better answers) would have been to have 540 take the more southern route for the folks traveling down to FV and beyond, but the town and mayor pushed the northern (orange) route.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:17 AM

1,172 posts, read 1,159,511 times
Quote:
Why not just do overpasses instead. That is what they have done / are doing with horrific US19 here and it really helps.

Basically, multiple lanes always go straight, with no intersections and no lights. If you want to get off at a road, you simply exit right on a ramp going the same direction, but sloping downhill. At the bottom, you take a left under the bridge or right on the road. To get on US19, you simply use the ramp to go back up on it and merge with traffic. This way, people who travel many miles on it will be able to do so at full speed and no intersections or lights, until they dump off on a ramp on the right and come off the road.
I drove part of that stretch of US 19 nine years ago. It was a very interesting project.

If they do that anywhere in Raleigh, it should be along Capital first.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:55 AM

7,695 posts, read 12,848,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I'd rather have reflective paint/more pronounced lane dividers than street lights. Driving around the triangle during/after rain...especially at night....it's almost impossible to see the lines on the road. I've been to other areas where they use "sparkly paint" or use the ground-level reflectors on ALL of the lanes and not just dividing lanes.
This is a problem..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary