U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 08:24 AM

6,081 posts, read 7,044,848 times

Advertisements

As far as I can see, superstreets only benefit is that they 'take up' more traffic so the roads don't 'appear' to back up so far. Meanwhile, they only benefit a subset of the drivers (if any). A better solution is more lanes, and careful computer assisted timing of the lights. The rest is smoke and mirrors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 08:28 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,029,082 times
"Superstreet"?

Old 10-28-2015, 08:33 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,769,395 times
Superstreets work...as seen in some hometown research.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:35 AM

4,642 posts, read 4,467,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
"Superstreet"?
"A superstreet is a type of intersection in which side-street traffic is redirected from
going straight through or left at a divided highway intersection. All side-street traffic
must turn right, but can then access a U-turn to proceed in the desired direction.

Other configurations of superstreets are possible based on site specific conditions.
The Superstreet concept provides an effective alternative along heavily traveled
regional arterials in areas with anticipated commercial and residential growth. The
design concept is contingent upon a series of features that reduce potential conflict
points while maintaining traffic flow, resulting in:

Increased safety by reducing conflict points at major crossovers
Time savings from simplified signal phasing
Enhanced signal coordination
Dedicated U-turn lanes for efficiency

http://www.ncdot.gov/download/projec...re-2013-01.pdf
http://www.albemarlecommission.org/P...esentation.pdf
http://www.hollyspringsnc.us/Documen...Home/View/1261

Old 10-28-2015, 09:00 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,051,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I like, not, when traveling down one lane on Glenwood Ave, I believe it is, where all of a sudden, out of no where, the road is taken up with parked cars. PARKED CARS sitting right in the driving lane. Who thought that up?

Helloooooo! Off street parking solution or widen the road there. Why let unsuspecting people plow right into the back of these parked cars in the driving lane?
At least there are signs warning of this in both directions on Glenwood. They're not huge but they do state in bold letters, "CARS PARKED IN RIGHT LANE".

Even with the warning it's a pain and bad for traffic, so I agree somewhat. However, I'd like to see someone take this issue up and then hear the overwhelming fit people would pitch as they whine and complain because "their" parking spaces are being eliminated!

Old 10-28-2015, 09:29 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,252,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I hate to be that guy, but go drive around Boston and its suburbs. Driving around here makes sense, and is an absolute treat in comparison. This is what happens when roads were built to be traveled by automobile, and not horse.
Yes, but this is the very platonic ideal of "damning with faint praise." As a former Bostonian, I was tempted to post something similar, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

The street lighting is bad, and a lot of signs seem to be manufactured with inferior reflective surfaces that make them hard to see at night (I noticed a big difference driving from Virginia into N.C. in this regard). Signage is great compared to Massachusetts but could still be better.

My biggest pet peeve is the right/left turn lanes that come up out of nowhere, that several people have mentioned already. That's actually a very "Boston" thing to do (along with having parking spaces *in* travel lanes, a la Glenwood Ave... I didn't think I'd ever see that outside of Cambridge, Mass.!), and I'm sure it contributes to the highly annoying tendency that Triangle drivers have to just camp out in the left lane without passing (because they know the right lane is going to turn into a right-turn-only lane in a couple of miles).

Old 10-28-2015, 09:32 AM

6,081 posts, read 7,044,848 times
With the superstreets I have seen, instead of allowing you to turn left, for example, you are forced to do a U-turn in special lanes about a half mile beyond the normal intersection. The lights, lanes, and turns are all tight (imagine big trucks) and confusing, but it takes about a mile worth of drivers and doubles them up in the major travel direction.

Meanwhile, what used to be simple cross traffic needs to turn right and go about a mile out of their way just to get back to the street they were on in the past. Verrrry frustrating.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:48 AM

763 posts, read 1,599,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Does not compute. Was it a state project or a local government project?

Superstreets are better and are not small minded. May take some getting used to.
You must not live in Holly Springs. These roads are NOT safer...there have been numerous accidents. My friends daughter was just rear ended this week while waiting to turn in one. Imagine that you are making a u turn, and you look to your right only to see that cars are barreling down a hill at 60mph at you. Will you make it through before their light turns green? Only if you aren't behind a big slow truck that is having a hard time making the u turn.

Not to mention that 55 is supposed to be a bypass, but with all the u turn lights, it might as well be Main St.

The state in general seems to have something against left turns. You want to get to that gas station across the street...forget it!

CA roads were on grids and MUCH easier to navigate. Signage was much better.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:03 AM

59 posts, read 116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
You must not live in Holly Springs. These roads are NOT safer...there have been numerous accidents. My friends daughter was just rear ended this week while waiting to turn in one. Imagine that you are making a u turn, and you look to your right only to see that cars are barreling down a hill at 60mph at you. Will you make it through before their light turns green? Only if you aren't behind a big slow truck that is having a hard time making the u turn.

Not to mention that 55 is supposed to be a bypass, but with all the u turn lights, it might as well be Main St.

The state in general seems to have something against left turns. You want to get to that gas station across the street...forget it!

CA roads were on grids and MUCH easier to navigate. Signage was much better.

I agree, and frankly have not heard of anyone praising the new traffic pattern in Holly Springs. I sent in a complaint to the DOT about it, and got one of their canned responses with a PDF brochure of how they are supposed to help. I just do not see it.

I sent an image to them describing my previous trips to the CBC from Apex, to my new trips with the new superstreets in place.

http://i.imgur.com/VsaC08u.jpg

Old 10-28-2015, 10:54 AM

979 posts, read 540,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Does not compute. Was it a state project or a local government project?

Superstreets are better and are not small minded. May take some getting used to.
State project. 55 bypass is maintained by the state.

Small town mindedness in the State government. Many people in the state government are from small, podunk towns. Not sure why that's difficult to comprehend.

I don't doubt super streets have their purpose. Typically they have their purpose in large cities, not a half-assed job in a town of 20K. Went from one light cycle of traffic to 20 minutes for the same stretch of road when the super street opened in Holly Springs. The money would have been better spent improving pre-existing intersections and creating ingress and egress directly from the main road, rather then funneling them through an already overcrowded side road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary