U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 11:03 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,051,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
You must not live in Holly Springs. These roads are NOT safer...there have been numerous accidents. My friends daughter was just rear ended this week while waiting to turn in one. Imagine that you are making a u turn, and you look to your right only to see that cars are barreling down a hill at 60mph at you. Will you make it through before their light turns green? Only if you aren't behind a big slow truck that is having a hard time making the u turn.

Not to mention that 55 is supposed to be a bypass, but with all the u turn lights, it might as well be Main St.

The state in general seems to have something against left turns. You want to get to that gas station across the street...forget it!

CA roads were on grids and MUCH easier to navigate. Signage was much better.
Overall the data show that 55 is safer and traffic moves more quickly since the superstreet was built. Less accidents have occurred and travel time has decreased. Not that there aren't ever going to be accidents, but looking at the overall picture, things actually are better. People might not perceive it to be so, but it's a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 11:04 AM

979 posts, read 540,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
With the superstreets I have seen, instead of allowing you to turn left, for example, you are forced to do a U-turn in special lanes about a half mile beyond the normal intersection. The lights, lanes, and turns are all tight (imagine big trucks) and confusing, but it takes about a mile worth of drivers and doubles them up in the major travel direction.

Meanwhile, what used to be simple cross traffic needs to turn right and go about a mile out of their way just to get back to the street they were on in the past. Verrrry frustrating.
This is the crux of the problem with the super streets. In the past, at a traditional intersection, the driver turning left would do so one of two ways: (1) when an opening makes it safe to do so or (2) if they were in the turn lane (or someone approaches the intersection) causing the lights to change. Now, with the superstreet, whenever that lone car wants to make a U-Turn all traffic must be stopped for the prescribed period of time. Furthermore, where there were 3 intersections (or sets of lights) there are now 7. Add it up and it creates a traffic nightmare, regardless of what the "homegrown" survey says.

Again, worthwhile for a place like Detroit or Houston? Absolutely. Worthwhile for a town of 20K so that one driver at a time can make a U-Turn? Absolutely not.

And just to throw yet another monkey wrench into the mix, there will be yet 2 more sets of lights when the "reverse superstreet" is put in at Avent Ferry.

The money should be spent to remove the superstreets.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I'm sure it contributes to the highly annoying tendency that Triangle drivers have to just camp out in the left lane without passing (because they know the right lane is going to turn into a right-turn-only lane in a couple of miles).
Lol. I often find myself (as a native and very familiar with the streets and their tendency to do this) traveling in the left lane when I know the right lane ends and looking at people in the right lane and thinking, "WTF are they doing?? Don't they know that lane ends?!?" at which point I remind myself that no, they probably have no idea and I let them merge (as one should) when they figure out what's going on.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Overall the data show that 55 is safer and traffic moves more quickly since the superstreet was built. Less accidents have occurred and travel time has decreased. Not that there aren't ever going to be accidents, but looking at the overall picture, things actually are better. People might not perceive it to be so, but it's a fact.
Says someone who lists "Downtown Raleigh" as their location, so I'm not sure what times you're traveling 55. It's like everything with numbers, does traffic move faster between the hours of 10-4, no doubt it does. As someone who SITS in the traffic and didn't get his information from a brochure, during 7-9 and 4-6 traffic has gotten considerably worse. I can certainly upload some photos. Traffic is typically backed up for 2 miles from Avent Ferry Rd. (just using the rudimentary "measure distance" in Google Maps).

From that standpoint, I'm not surprised it's "safer". Hard to wreck at 15 mph.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Says someone who lists "Downtown Raleigh" as their location, so I'm not sure what times you're traveling 55. It's like everything with numbers, does traffic move faster between the hours of 10-4, no doubt it does. As someone who SITS in the traffic and didn't get his information from a brochure, during 7-9 and 4-6 traffic has gotten considerably worse. I can certainly upload some photos. Traffic is typically backed up for 2 miles from Avent Ferry Rd. (just using the rudimentary "measure distance" in Google Maps).

From that standpoint, I'm not surprised it's "safer". Hard to wreck at 15 mph.
Thanks for reminding me to change my location - I moved from Downtown to west Raleigh about a month ago.

However, I grew up in Fuquay where my parents still live and have many friends and family who live in the 55 corridor and travel it fairly frequently for someone who doesn't actually live there. Again, your personal experience doesn't change the data which are broken down by time of day. I'll be more clear - at ALL times of day, traffic moves faster, period.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:22 AM

I just looked at the NCSU survey. Please let me know what page the Holly Springs data is on that conflicts with my personal experience. I didn't see anything in there that said at ALL times of day, traffic moves faster, period on 55 byp in Holly Springs. Your family and your frequent travels are nice, but absolutely anyone who travels between 4-6p knows traffic does not move, therefore there is no way you have traveled 55 byp all times of days. If anyone comes on here and says traffic has improved between 4-6p it is proof positive they have never driven on 55 byp prior to the super street. I'll post a picture of my commute tonight and perhaps people can weigh in on a 2 mile back up being the intent of the superstreet.

Again I'm not arguing that superstreets don't serve a purpose. It is the wrong street and the wrong configuration for 55 byp. See my comments above re: U-turns.

Last edited by BoSox 15; 10-28-2015 at 11:36 AM..

Old 10-28-2015, 11:38 AM

But back to the original post in this entire thread, on the plus side there are street lights on the super street!

Old 10-28-2015, 11:45 AM

2,849 posts, read 3,974,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I just looked at the NCSU survey. Please let me know what page the Holly Springs data is on that conflicts with my personal experience. I didn't see anything in there that said at ALL times of day, traffic moves faster, period on 55 byp in Holly Springs. Your family and your frequent travels are nice, but absolutely anyone who travels between 4-6p knows traffic does not move, therefore there is no way you have traveled 55 byp all times of days. If anyone comes on here and says traffic has improved between 4-6p it is proof positive they have never driven on 55 byp prior to the super street. I'll post a picture of my commute tonight and perhaps people can weigh in on a 2 mile back up being the intent of the superstreet.

Again I'm not arguing that superstreets don't serve a purpose. It is the wrong street and the wrong configuration for 55 byp. See my comments above re: U-turns.
Just trying to understand your point - didn't you say that the 2 mile backup was from Avent Ferry? Isn't that a traditional intersection? What precisely is your problem with the superstreets?

Old 10-28-2015, 12:16 PM

8,708 posts, read 8,361,292 times
Can someone post this "data", which is being referred to?

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material

Old 10-28-2015, 12:16 PM

Avent Ferry is where I turn, so that is where I made my measurement from. Driving south on 55 byp, you hit traffic where the new movie theater is going in. You have to understand it's not like a freeway where a 2 mile backup is a solid backup. There are 7 timed interchanges on this stretch of road, causing the backup for my last 2 miles of my commute. The light on the U-turn stays red for the prescribed time, whether 20 cars make a U-Turn or one car makes a U-Turn.

The superstreet, to be successful, should have been configured as it is from Walmart south through Fuquay. Combination of traditional intersections with the unsignaled left and u turns.

Like I said earlier, once the "reverse" superstreet gets put in at the Avent Ferry intersection things are going to get even worse. The thing is you are not eliminating people from turning on Avent Ferry, and you're adding 2 additional stop lights.

So to answer your last question, as I said I don't have a problem with superstreets in general. I made that point earlier. I have a problem with the configuration of this superstreet on 55 byp. Too many points for u-turns and the u-turns should have been unsignaled (except for those turning into the shopping center) I have an issue with people who do not drive this stretch of road telling me that because they read a report once, which was a study of ANOTHER road, that traffic is safer and has improved at all times of the day.

For the statisticians, prior to the superstreet, there were zero deaths on 55 bypass. Since the superstreet there was one fatality in Holly Springs. Could that have happened on another type of road. Of course, but it's a number, and I read it on the internet, therefore it must be true (kind of like the magic reduction in commute time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary