U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 12:20 PM

4,642 posts, read 4,467,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Just trying to understand your point - didn't you say that the 2 mile backup was from Avent Ferry? Isn't that a traditional intersection? What precisely is your problem with the superstreets?
And the superstreet project is just one of several projects that all need to be completed before judgement can be passed on the effectiveness...Avent Ferry/55 intersection improvements, Main Street Extension, widening of Avent Ferry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 12:30 PM

979 posts, read 540,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
And the superstreet project is just one of several projects that all need to be completed before judgement can be passed on the effectiveness...Avent Ferry/55 intersection improvements, Main Street Extension, widening of Avent Ferry.
The point is, regardless of whether you have a traditional intersection or a u-turn, you have not reduced the number of people needing to cross the bypass. Again it's not the fault of the superstreet design, it is the fault of the design not suited to the bypass.

Once that proves to be true, what's the next "we need to wait for [x] before we can judge". Then what? Spend more money to fix something that cannot work? The superstreet is a fantastic idea for a through highway where there are minimal crossovers. This will never be possible given the development on both sides of the bypass.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:15 PM

2,849 posts, read 3,974,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Yeah Holly Springs and Fuquay are growing so fast, I don't think it matters what kind of intersection you put there, traffic is gonna suck. And expect it to get worse pretty soon, the extended shopping center with the movie theater is not far away.

The one thing that might help is the extension of 540. Right now all that traffic is dumping out at one place on 55.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:10 PM

979 posts, read 540,641 times
Superstreet or no superstreet, we now need a 55 bypass bypass!

Old 10-28-2015, 02:43 PM

252 posts, read 214,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Superstreet or no superstreet, we now need a 55 bypass bypass!
You can't wait for 11/3 can you?

Old 10-28-2015, 07:53 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,051,392 times
Quote:
I just looked at the NCSU survey. Please let me know what page the Holly Springs data is on that conflicts with my personal experience. I didn't see anything in there that said at ALL times of day, traffic moves faster, period on 55 byp in Holly Springs.
I wasn't looking at the NCSU survey - I've seen a lot of data from different sources, but unfortunately for my argument, I can't produce it here which I should've thought about before I mouthed off, so I'll leave it at that and bow out of the data discussion. My bad.

However, you should probably understand that your personal experience isn't exactly what engineers and planners design roads around...

Quote:
Your family and your frequent travels are nice, but absolutely anyone who travels between 4-6p knows traffic does not move, therefore there is no way you have traveled 55 byp all times of days. If anyone comes on here and says traffic has improved between 4-6p it is proof positive they have never driven on 55 byp prior to the super street. I'll post a picture of my commute tonight and perhaps people can weigh in on a 2 mile back up being the intent of the superstreet.
Glad you think my family and our travels are "nice." I was driving in this area before the bypass even existed, so I think I'm pretty darn familiar with the traffic. I've traveled FV to RTP and back at peak times (am rush and pm) many, many times before the bypass was built, before the superstreet conversion, and after including about a week ago. It's not like my only experience there is Sunday drives. I've lived in Wake County for over 30 years, most of it outside of Raleigh, so I don't know how you're discounting my "personal experience" if you think yours is something that matters in all this.

Quote:
Again I'm not arguing that superstreets don't serve a purpose. It is the wrong street and the wrong configuration for 55 byp. See my comments above re: U-turns.
The u-turn configuration is a large part of what makes the street so much safer. Left turns are one of the most dangerous movements a driver can make and superstreets eliminate them. So superstreets are safer so I think it's ok if you "feel" like it takes longer.

Last edited by StAndroid; 10-28-2015 at 08:08 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 08:00 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,051,392 times
Quote:
The point is, regardless of whether you have a traditional intersection or a u-turn, you have not reduced the number of people needing to cross the bypass. Again it's not the fault of the superstreet design, it is the fault of the design not suited to the bypass.
You are correct that regardless of the configuration the same number of people will have to cross the bypass, so the best thing we can do is make it safer for them to do so - with a superstreet.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:54 AM

202 posts, read 135,366 times
Why does anyone need street lights all over the place? You have headlights on your car right? Use them. I don't want to pay for street lights, the expense of sourcing them, labor to install them and ongoing electrical bills and maintenance through a tax increase or however it happens. I have to pay for street lights in my neighborhood that I don't want or need already. IMO, they serve as nothing more than a waste of electricity and add to the already outrageous light pollution.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:06 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,029,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo View Post
Why does anyone need street lights all over the place? You have headlights on your car right? Use them. I don't want to pay for street lights, the expense of sourcing them, labor to install them and ongoing electrical bills and maintenance through a tax increase or however it happens. I have to pay for street lights in my neighborhood that I don't want or need already. IMO, they serve as nothing more than a waste of electricity and add to the already outrageous light pollution.
Because driving past people on two-lane roads with their hi-beams on is really, really obnoxious and makes it increasingly difficult to see.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:12 PM

4,642 posts, read 4,467,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Because driving past people on two-lane roads with their hi-beams on is really, really obnoxious and makes it increasingly difficult to see.
If there's that many cars on the road, streetlights aren't necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary