U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 11:32 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,408,859 times

Advertisements

I'm a fan of public transit, but this article provides a sobering look at the struggles of getting people to embrace it in smaller sized cities. Even Charlotte, which some point to as a success is highlighted by the fact that ridership has not grown much over the years. It's an interesting read for those of us who would like to see light rail here in the Triangle.

Nashville, Charlotte, and Other Small Cities Struggle to Build Public Transit and Attract Riders - The Atlantic

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 10-29-2015 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 12:04 PM

7,691 posts, read 10,062,057 times
Well, supposedly light rail is dead here anyway in favor of buses. Not sure how final the recent decision is and how long a time horizon.

Personally I'm fine with increasing bus service, but without fixed infrastructure to plan and build around its not a good way of spending the money, IMO.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:03 PM

513 posts, read 396,992 times
I would still consider Charlotte's light rail successful. The argument they make is because it's ridership is the same as since its opened it isn't valuable, but that is nearly 20k ridership a day that take advantage of it and has spurred TONS of development along the lightrail.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:10 PM

1,172 posts, read 1,157,981 times
I think in Charlotte's case, the same line serves the same people and the same destinations, so everyone who wants to ride it frequently is probably doing so.

It's a bit late in the game now, but I think Charlotte did itself and its citizens a disservice by not prioritizing the airport over the South Blvd corridor.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:56 PM

279 posts, read 239,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
I would still consider Charlotte's light rail successful. The argument they make is because it's ridership is the same as since its opened it isn't valuable, but that is nearly 20k ridership a day that take advantage of it and has spurred TONS of development along the lightrail.
The line is also not complete from downtown to UNCC yet. Once that opens up I think tons of students will be riding it to go out downtown without having to drive.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:36 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,210,479 times
Biggest obstacle here is that riding a bus is seen as low class,dangerous and inconvenient. Having at least two of those on any given route doesn't help to dispel the theory. Raleighs current bus system is designed for riders without their own transportation. It's not set up or appealing for riders who could use it as an alternative to taking a car. I don't see many tax payers past age 35,really getting behind any kind of mass transportation as long as they still have the option to drive.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:47 PM

616 posts, read 520,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
I think in Charlotte's case, the same line serves the same people and the same destinations, so everyone who wants to ride it frequently is probably doing so.

It's a bit late in the game now, but I think Charlotte did itself and its citizens a disservice by not prioritizing the airport over the South Blvd corridor.
Charlotte's current rail line serves what has traditionally had the lowest transit usage area in the city & the extension to UNCC not only upgrades one of the highest bus corridors but also has high express bus usage. While service to the airport would be nice, in reality you can get Uptown from the airport in 15-20 minutes & ridership on the current route is low

Old 10-29-2015, 04:09 PM

613 posts, read 613,179 times
With driverless cars,buses and trucks on the horizon the idea of light rail is so last century.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:25 AM

31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
With driverless cars,buses and trucks on the horizon the idea of light rail is so last century.
I don't think so.
How will driverless cars reduce congestion?
How will people who don't want to own a car benefit from driverless cars?

Old 10-30-2015, 04:59 AM

15,723 posts, read 23,949,403 times
The school carpool culture here is a real detriment to people using mass transit. There are too many people who put their kids in the car, drop them off at school then head to work. I'm originally from NY, where NOBODY drives their kids to school on a regular basis, the schools aren't set up to handle carpool traffic. People take the bus or walk or they have to find a place to park their car and walk their kids in anyway (often on a nearby street). Of course WCPSS transportation isn't necessarily reliable on a regular basis so it's a vicious cycle. But you're never gonna get all those school carpoolers off the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary