U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 01:04 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,845,274 times

Advertisements

So a sanctuary city is one where immigration laws are not enforced and law enforcement does not cooperate with immigration officials? Doesn't sound like a place I'd want to live.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:36 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,049,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
So a sanctuary city is one where immigration laws are not enforced and law enforcement does not cooperate with immigration officials? Doesn't sound like a place I'd want to live.
I believe it's just that law enforcement isn't required or has been specifically instructed to not bother with checking a persons immigration status. Could be wrong though...

Old 10-30-2015, 01:37 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,762,763 times
Correct, and there are over 300 such cities in the U.S. Immigration officials still operate freely in them.

Exploding the Myth of Sanctuary Cities - The Daily Beast

Old 11-01-2015, 12:43 AM

122 posts, read 94,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
We are tying the hands of the people we hire to protect all citizens.
The people we hire to protect all citizens do not, in fact, protect all citizens. But that's another matter entirely.

I support protest action when it happens. With civic engagement at such a low in this country, I'm glad to see people actually doing things in the public sphere and standing up for what they believe in instead of checking out like many people do.

This country was founded on a destructive act of rebellion. If you want something to change, you've gotta agitate. Sit ins are a super productive protest action--no pun intended--precisely because they disrupt the day-to-day routines of people who otherwise wouldn't notice/listen. Protests are messy. Obviously, OP may not agree with what the protesters are protesting for, and that's just fine. But being against protest in and of itself? Well that's just un-American.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:45 AM

6,390 posts, read 4,470,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
So you'd want to live in a city where you have to present ID JUST to show you are legal? These laws are not only enforced to track "illegals", they also have issues that infringe on legal citizens rights. If you're ok with that, then fine, but it would require changing our constitution.

Maybe it would be easier if we just made them all wear an armband with a symbol on it to let us know their "OK"....

Old 11-01-2015, 05:57 AM

613 posts, read 613,311 times
The 6 arrested freely admit to being in the US illegally, proud of it. Also that they have illegally voted in recent elections. Hmm makes you wonder what other laws they have chosen to ignore?

Old 11-01-2015, 07:09 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,122,268 times
Voted? That's very troubling. What must California be like? How many electoral votes does California have?

Old 11-01-2015, 02:14 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,845,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
So you'd want to live in a city where you have to present ID JUST to show you are legal? These laws are not only enforced to track "illegals", they also have issues that infringe on legal citizens rights. If you're ok with that, then fine, but it would require changing our constitution.

Maybe it would be easier if we just made them all wear an armband with a symbol on it to let us know their "OK"....
I don't want to be stopped on the street and asked for ID like it's Nazi Germany. But if I get pulled over, the officer should be able to tell who's here legally and who isn't.

Illegals shouldn't be allowed to obtain a DL or any form of ID, and if they attempt to, they should be arrested, handed over to immigration, and deported. People on a temporary visa should be given an ID which expires when their visa does.

Every country I've lived in, I was required to show a passport with a visa before an ID card was issued. Usually the ID expired the same date as the visa and the ID noted that I was in the country on a visa.

Most of the time in the US when illegals have interactions with the police, they are given a ticket for whatever law they broke.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:34 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,899,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
The 6 arrested freely admit to being in the US illegally, proud of it. Also that they have illegally voted in recent elections. Hmm makes you wonder what other laws they have chosen to ignore?

Source? I haven't seen this yet.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:10 PM

613 posts, read 613,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Source? I haven't seen this yet.
Voting records are visible to all I believe. Arrogant and disrespectful illegals.

Did The PVC Six Vote Illegally? What Will Roy Cooper Do? – #NCPOL | Lady Liberty 1885
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary