U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 04:16 PM

121 posts, read 102,587 times

Advertisements

We plan to replace our shingles next year. We want to have cool roof, which should help with reducing attic temperature. From CertainTeed, there are 2 options:
- Landmark Pro Series in Silver Birch color (SRI about 29-30)
- Landmark Solaris Platinum in 3 colors (SRI around 40-41)
A roofer mentioned that the built and strength of Solaris Platinum series is not as good as Solaris Pro’s. Does anyone have any experiences between these two? Can you recommend which one is better and why please?

Thanks you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 07:24 PM

56 posts, read 39,301 times
Disclaimer - Im not a roofing professional (and that's probably who you would need to respond in order to give a reasonable product comparison). Anyone who has these shingles probably only has one and thus cannot compare (and likely won't know how good they are until much later in the lifetime... ask them 15 years or so after install )

But I will say you can find the tech sheets for both on CertainTeed's website. It seems to me the Solaris line is specifically designed for cooler roofs / energy efficiency; I saw one roofer's website describe it as a solution for attics with limited ventilation options. They are apparently less rugged than the Landmark Pro as a result. Not sure what pricing on each is like but if installation price is roughly equal they might end up costing the same over the long run, slight energy savings with solaris but longer life with pro.

A lot of product lines within the same manufacturer are like that -- one is not really better than the other, they each have their strengths and weaknesses. If you had a finished attic and spend a lot of time there maybe the better SRI of the Solaris and added comfort level would be worth a slightly less durable roof? Although, roofs are expensive so there's a lot to be said for durability. Not to mention in 20 years or whenever it's time for a new one, they will be even more expensive so who knows what the future value of a couple of extra years of life will be.

Sounds like the roofer is advising you correctly though.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:42 PM

Hi gpr66. Thanks for the reply! Would you mind help pointing out which website mentioned that Solaris is worse than Landmark Pro? I have talked with 3 roofers, and only 1 mentioned about this - though that probably because I was too excited with the Solaris that they curbed any intention of mentioning this matter.

We have not too bad of ventilation system - continuous ridge vent and continuous soffit vent. I just want to make sure to be able to include more energy saving without reducing the durability.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:30 PM

56 posts, read 39,301 times
I think there may be a misunderstanding about my prior reply, I wasn't suggesting one was better than the other, I was saying they seem equally good, but one is better in the energy efficiency category and one is better for durability (based on weight spec).

You can see technical specs at the manufacturers website, here are links to those products:

Landmark ® PRO - Premium Designer - Residential - Roofing - CertainTeed

Landmark Solaris

Which is better for you probably comes down to your own preference/goals, how much the roofer is asking for each, etc. I'd say our climate is such that either would work but if it were me I'd probably opt for the durability advantage if I didn't have any ventilation issues in the attic but take that with a grain of salt.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:13 PM

I read that Solaris is 250 lb/sq, and Pro is 250 / 270 lb/sq. It seems that either Solaris can be said has more stringent weight control (and thus production control) than Pro, or Pro 'can be' slightly higher weight than Solaris (which could be not too and thus should be the same in terms of durability). What do you think? I am a bit confused on interpreting this data to comparative qualitative analysis. It can totally goes on either direction.

*Sorry for the stupid question. I really appreciate your answer. Happy Halloween!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary