U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2015, 08:45 PM

3,059 posts, read 2,074,866 times

Advertisements

Doesn't look like the OP ever said what the actual prayer/blessing was..

Are we talking the Doxolgy?........"Rub a dub dub thanks for the grub"?.....what was the context?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 09:39 PM

14,271 posts, read 15,235,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Doesn't look like the OP ever said what the actual prayer/blessing was..

Are we talking the Doxolgy?........"Rub a dub dub thanks for the grub"?.....what was the context?
Forgive me, I must be getting a case of the sillies. I don't know why, but this comment made me laugh so hard that I can feel tears rolling down my face. I remember "Rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub, yay God!" Now I'm thinking of "On top of spaghetti, all covered with cheese, I lost my poor meatball, when somebody sneezed."

Anyway, sorry to the OP, no offense meant. However, I don't know why any state would pass a law forbidding clapping and singing before lunch, especially if it's not a religious prayer or song.

I'm Jewish and grew up in a time when political correctness was just an embryo. Although Jewish families often say blessings before a meal (so do Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus) I don't recall being affected when I ate dinner with Christians who said Grace and included "Jesus Christ our Lord," and I was a lot more impressionable at age 7 or 8.

Still, he is your child and you have every right to be upset. I just don't think it's a big deal.

Last edited by justNancy; 11-08-2015 at 10:01 PM..

Old 11-09-2015, 03:14 AM

33,027 posts, read 12,488,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Nothing...I don't understand why people go flying off the handle about a minute of prayer. If a parent doesn't want their kid to participate then advise them to stare at the floor or something. Be considerate of the others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What if the teacher started out each day with a Wiccan ceremony?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I've never been to a Wiccan ceremony, so I don't know what if.
It might involve thanking the Goddess and asking Her to watch over and protect. Other requests might be added depending on the phase of the moon.

Somehow, I don't see Christian parents thinking it is fine for their children to be taught Wiccan spiritual practices.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:28 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,952,246 times
I realize that I am more sensitive than most on this topic. I feel uncomfortable about the Santa letters being organized by my daughter's first grade public school teachers.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:07 PM

875 posts, read 643,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I realize that I am more sensitive than most on this topic. I feel uncomfortable about the Santa letters being organized by my daughter's first grade public school teachers.
My kids believed in Santa Claus in first grade, and we celebrate Christmas in our home, so that particular assignment wouldn't have a negative impact on our family. However, it's a big assumption on the part of the teacher to think that all students in her classroom do the same. Jehovah's Witnesses, Jewish children, Muslim, etc. I can understand your being uncomfortable with the assignment.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:48 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,210,479 times
Quote:
I have not had that experience in Wake county schools. Which school district does your child attend? Alamance?

Old 11-09-2015, 01:07 PM

2,010 posts, read 1,448,082 times
Quote:
At least you're honest about sensitivity.

I just don't see how anyone could consider santa religious, it's like the easter bunny.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:23 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,210,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
At least you're honest about sensitivity.

I just don't see how anyone could consider santa religious, it's like the easter bunny.
I don't consider Santa religious but he is directly associated with Christmas which is so he falls into the same box.

Santa is an indirect representation at least. There are many kids who do not believe in Santa because doing so would contradict their own families beliefs or religion.

Your right...Santa is just like the Easter bunny. They don't directly represent the religion but they do represent the cultural practices of said holiday which in itself is religious in nature.

Tooth fairy ? No. Boogey Man? No
St Patrick? Maybe a lil yes but mostly no
Cupid? No
Thanksgiving turkey? No

Old 11-09-2015, 01:49 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,049,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I don't consider Santa religious but he is directly associated with Christmas which is so he falls into the same box.
I have absolutely no dog in this fight, but think it's interesting that while Santa is very obviously a Christmas thing, the people I know that reject/dislike him the most are super conservative Christians.

Can't win for losing...

Old 11-09-2015, 02:17 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I have not had that experience in Wake county schools. Which school district does your child attend? Alamance?
We are in Orange County Schools. Also, they do say that it's optional, so you can opt out. But still, I don't feel like I should have to do that. I don't want to be mean mom who doesn't let my kid do the fun thing everyone else is doing. Also, it's a personalized letter *from* Santa to each kid, not like a writing assignment where the kid writes a letter *to* Santa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or