Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 06:37 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,436,533 times

Advertisements

Celebrating a secular Christmas. I'm one of those. Our family celebrates a secular Christmas, and we are not Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 06:37 PM

725 posts, read 1,495,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I'm not saying that it's rational that Santa Claus is a part of Christians' celebration of their holiday of Christmas. But Santa *is* a part of Christians' celebration of their holiday of Christmas.
What? Wasn't the current version of U.S. Santa created by Coke? What church do you go to where they talk about Santa being part of the Biblical version of Christmas?

Old 11-09-2015, 06:49 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,549,064 times
Have some here gone mad?

Since when does Santa stand for anything but Christmas, which is Christian?

I'll take "Let's just be contrarian" for $100, Alex.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:05 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,323,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Have some here gone mad?

Yes, you are correct and this has been very eye opening about views on religion here in the Triangle.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:07 PM

2,841 posts, read 2,955,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Yes, you are correct and this has been very eye opening about views on religion here in the Triangle.
Ok the Easter bunny is Christian too by that logic right?

Old 11-09-2015, 07:38 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,374,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Ok the Easter bunny is Christian too by that logic right?
Yes, because he's the EASTER Bunny. Easter is a Christian holiday. It was co-opted by Christians from Pagan traditions, which called it something else and had moderately different rites that were observed, but Christians made it their own (by adding Jesus, obviously) and once they did this and became a more dominate religion than paganism, it became their own (which is unfortunate but that's beside the point). So unless you call it by it's Pagan name, when you say EASTER, you're referring to a Christian holiday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter (just in case references are needed...)

Old 11-09-2015, 07:38 PM

421 posts, read 457,842 times
Man, I need to return my manger scene that I put up inside the house each Christmas. Granted it's been a year since we had it out, but I am almost positive they shorted me a Santa :-)

Old 11-09-2015, 08:13 PM

725 posts, read 1,495,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Have some here gone mad?

Please Alex for $100, What verse of the bible mentions Santa Claus?

Old 11-09-2015, 08:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,979,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
Man, I need to return my manger scene that I put up inside the house each Christmas. Granted it's been a year since we had it out, but I am almost positive they shorted me a Santa :-)
To make sure this stays a "local" topic, I will simply add that apparently there are a lot of people in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary area who could really benefit from a logic class.

Christmas is not dependent upon Santa.
Santa is dependent upon Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

I'm Jewish and grew up in a time when political correctness was just an embryo. Although Jewish families often say blessings before a meal (so do Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus) I don't recall being affected when I ate dinner with Christians who said Grace and included "Jesus Christ our Lord," and I was a lot more impressionable at age 7 or 8.
No one is saying that anyone should be affected if they are at a private event or at someone's house and a prayer is said (to Jesus, G-d, Mohammed, the flying spaghetti monster or anyone else).

Heck, I went to Catholic high school for a year. Did I try to protest that we had to say The Lord's Prayer every morning? Of course not. I knew what to expect going in. And I totally aced my theology class that year...we were studying The Old Testament.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:21 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,549,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
Please Alex for $100, What verse of the bible mentions Santa Claus?
What?!

The same one that says that humans lived in dinosaur times.

Someone tell Santa he needs to start making deliveries for Hannukah instead. Tell him to rest up - more nights of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary