U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:58 PM

5,281 posts, read 4,562,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
Does anyone know whether prayer is sanctioned in secular preschools or daycares within North Carolina? Our son is almost 3 and attends a daycare not sponsored by a religious institution. He's recently begun singing a sort of prayer before meal times at home. He's apparently learned it from his teachers. They fold hands and pray before lunch. This was a surprise, as we were never told that the children would be led in prayer.

We're not religious and prefer to be the ones to guide our son's faith. I plan on speaking with the owners, but would prefer know whether the teacher's behavior is permitted by the state before our conversation.
Yes, of course their 'behavior' is permitted. What could possibly prohibit it? There is no law against prayer in a secular, privately operated preschool.

I'm an agnostic, dyed in the wool, who has certainly put a lot of thought into what my kids are exposed to re: religious thought and practice, and i don't see what the harm is in what you are describing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 08:06 PM

3,149 posts, read 6,952,321 times
Quote:

The point here is that we are responsible for guiding his spiritual development. Not his teachers.
You, the parent, will always have final say in your child's life because your child looks up to you the most. That is, until the child can think for their self and sees through the parent's dishonesty.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:32 PM

15,723 posts, read 23,957,202 times
Well, I find it odd. My kids all went to religious pre schools but if I chose a seemingly secular one I would expect it to be just that. Maybe your perception depends on where you're from.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:39 PM

3,932 posts, read 2,670,809 times
OP I'm of the same religious mindset as you, but nobody is forcing you to go to that daycare. I know it's not ideal to move your children between daycares, but if it's that much of an issue than that's the better option than getting stressed out over it.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:45 PM

2,280 posts, read 2,225,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Well, I find it odd. My kids all went to religious pre schools but if I chose a seemingly secular one I would expect it to be just that. Maybe your perception depends on where you're from.
Yes it does twingles I believe it does depend on where you are from. Where we came from a non-religious pre-school did not conduct any blessing or prayer and that is what would be expected. I have found that not to be the case here and I too was surprised by that. We have been to 3 programs, 2 have had the blessing, in the form of a song for kids to sing. One was a corporate franchise and the owners were religious. The other stated in the admission policy that they were not a religious program. OP, there are some that don't have it but I would suggest asking the program when you take a tour.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:46 PM

1,040 posts, read 814,774 times
I support the OP and share her shock that daycare staff would insert themselves into a private matter like someone else's child's religious practices.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I support the OP and share her shock that daycare staff would insert themselves into a private matter like someone else's child's religious practices.
It is not a staff decision it is an administrative decision. Staff are following the protocol of the school. It is not one classroom singing the blessing, they all sing it.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:02 PM

256 posts, read 340,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
It is not a staff decision it is an administrative decision. Staff are following the protocol of the school. It is not one classroom singing the blessing, they all sing it.
I did not say this and this doesn't seem to be the case. He's been through 3 previous classrooms. None of them prayed.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:07 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,527,617 times
I like how nobody thinks it's a big deal. Unless their child comes home and start saying "Allahu Akbar" before chowing down on his chicken fingers.

Children are very impressionable. There is nothing wrong with a parent knowing whether their child's preschool is training their toddler to be a Southern Baptist, a Muslim, a follower of Joel Osteen, a Wiccan, or just to believe that some supernatural being demands to be given props before you are allowed to munch on some Cheerios.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I did not say this and this doesn't seem to be the case. He's been through 3 previous classrooms. None of them prayed.
Well then I am surprised by this too! Approach the administration and ask about it. Maybe it is just this room or perhaps they begin the blessing at a certain age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or