U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 11:07 PM

2,241 posts, read 2,189,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that preschool kids believe in Santa, the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny. So, a non denominational prayer isn't going to make a huge impression. I'm not religious at all, but I actually sent my kids to a Lutheran preschool. It was the best option where I lived at the time in terms of facilities, etc. my kids are now 8 and 10 and i don't think they remember at all the religious elements of their preschool. So, if you overall like the school I wouldn't worry too much about this issue.
I agree, anything the OP teaches their child about religion (or no religion) will far outweigh this non-denominational pre-meal prayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 11:11 PM

2,241 posts, read 2,189,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Frankly this is a bunch of hand wringing and the parents need to realize they are going to be faced with a bunch of this as their child grows.

Don't like it? Select another school. There really is no problem here.
Exactly, issues far greater than this will come up many times in your child's life. And if you dont like it, move to a different school.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:11 AM

37 posts, read 46,747 times
If the "prayer" is just expressing thanks and gratitude, I think that would be a positive and that you would encourage that simply because it probably makes you/your child a better person. (see article below...)

And if altering the mindset/behavior of your children was as easy as getting them to sing/recite a couple lines a day, I know all my parenting problems would be solved!

Anyways, I don't know if I can post links but here is an article from Forbes Magazine...

7 Scientifically Proven Benefits Of Gratitude That Will Motivate You To Give Thanks Year-Round

Forbes Welcome

Old 11-01-2015, 09:21 AM

2,282 posts, read 2,225,568 times
Thanksgiving is a day of gratitude that has nothing to do with religion, it is possible to separate the two.

The objection is not to an expression of gratitude, the issue is a non religious program having all children, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindi, etc singing or saying a prayer thanking God. If the program would market themselves and having Christian values or beliefs there would be no discussion. When religion is left out of all school policies and marketing, it is surprising to discover any religious component after the fact.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:01 AM

37 posts, read 46,747 times
Default They aren't praying to a Christian god

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
It's a prayer thanking a non-specific deity using clasping hands. The words are irrelevant.
The OP said they are thanking a non-specific deity. No one said they are praying to a Christian god. If you are thanking someone non-specific, I think that is called giving thanks in general.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:10 AM

9,950 posts, read 10,234,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotriley View Post
The OP said they are thanking a non-specific deity. No one said they are praying to a Christian god. If you are thanking someone non-specific, I think that is called giving thanks in general.
Well if you're thanking "God" then that could be construed as non-specific, since Judaism, Islam, Christianity and more religions all have "God", but not "thanks in general". That was the point I was trying to make in my post upthread with the words to some non-religious ways to say "thanks" before eating. Those are not "blessings" or prayers to any God and if the preschool teacher wants to incorporate saying thanks before snack there are ways like these to do it that don't involve religion. Since the OP has not posted the words we don't know if they use "God" in what they're doing now or not, but since he said "deity" my assumption would be that they are, which is not just "giving thanks in general".

Old 11-01-2015, 10:27 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,138,585 times
Quote:
Does anyone know whether prayer is sanctioned in secular preschools or daycares within North Carolina? Our son is almost 3 and attends a daycare not sponsored by a religious institution. He's recently begun singing a sort of prayer before meal times at home. He's apparently learned it from his teachers. They fold hands and pray before lunch. This was a surprise, as we were never told that the children would be led in prayer.

We're not religious and prefer to be the ones to guide our son's faith. I plan on speaking with the owners, but would prefer know whether the teacher's behavior is permitted by the state before our conversation.
I think you have to accept the fact that you live in the bible belt and that religious "brain washing" (praying) starts at an early age and is acceptable to a large majority in NC.

If you are not religious explain to your child that you don't believe in prayers but others do and it's OK for them to pray.

When I go to sporting events I don't bow my head for prayers but I accept the fact that others do and I would never disrespect their traditions.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:45 AM

2,533 posts, read 2,693,967 times
Quote:
We chose a non-religious school for this reason. I hadn't imagined they would lead the children in religious rituals.
I find it odd and I would have a word with the owner. I will not be introducing my child(ren) to this type of behavior and I wouldn't be too pleased if their daycare was having them do this. I'd be tempted to leave and find one that doesn't try to brainwash other people's children.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:06 AM

9,950 posts, read 10,234,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I think you have to accept the fact that you live in the bible belt and that religious "brain washing" (praying) starts at an early age and is acceptable to a large majority in NC.
Gee thanks. PDD, your limited experience as a retiree in the Sandhills are hardly relevant to a parent's experience in the Triangle.

OP, this is not true. I've had my kids in 3 different preschools and none of them prayed. Some did give thanks and we had a really nice Thanksgiving holiday tradition at one, but no mention of God except some studying of different cultural traditions around the holidays. This is also my experience in public schools. They discussed Islam and Eid, Judaism and Hannukah, Christianity and Christmas, also Solstice and Yule.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:48 AM

1,964 posts, read 2,382,573 times
Quote:
Does anyone know whether prayer is sanctioned in secular preschools or daycares within North Carolina? Our son is almost 3 and attends a daycare not sponsored by a religious institution. He's recently begun singing a sort of prayer before meal times at home. He's apparently learned it from his teachers. They fold hands and pray before lunch. This was a surprise, as we were never told that the children would be led in prayer.

We're not religious and prefer to be the ones to guide our son's faith. I plan on speaking with the owners, but would prefer know whether the teacher's behavior is permitted by the state before our conversation.
You are in the Bible belt, what else do you expect? Despite fervent and continuous denials on this board, religion is crammed down your throat at every opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or