U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 09:53 AM

984 posts, read 545,095 times

Advertisements

Wow it looks like my speculation was probably pretty close to accurate. How a flawed study like this makes it on city data is confusing. It is not a poll of the general population, it is a poll of people who already go to church.

This is from the study's website:

Sampling Procedures
The sponsors invited all religious bodies that could be identified as having congregations in the United States to participate. In addition, efforts were made to identify and gather data from large independent congregations. In 1999, an invitation to participate in the study was sent to every U.S. religious body listed in the Yearbook of American and Canadian Churches. Additional contacts were suggested by the Advisory Committee and by members of the Operations Committee. The written invitation was followed by two general mailings, and, where needed, by special letters, personal contacts, and phone calls. As a result of these efforts, which extended over two years, 285 groups were invited, 149 actually participated, 22 expressed the intention to participate but were unable to do so, 12 declined to participate, and 102 did not respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 09:57 AM

984 posts, read 545,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenbot View Post
"None" is no religion. Atheist/Agnostic. Non denominational churches are still Christian.
I agree, but that's why I wanted to see the actual study questionnaire. Yes, a reasonable person knows what "none" means but without the study, it's a meaningless word.

I find it hard to believe, with all the bible thumpers here, more than half the population identifies as not having any religion at all. Even people who don't go to church on a regular basis, still identify as something.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:03 AM

6,409 posts, read 4,495,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Yes, of course their 'behavior' is permitted. What could possibly prohibit it? There is no law against prayer in a secular, privately operated preschool.

I'm an agnostic, dyed in the wool, who has certainly put a lot of thought into what my kids are exposed to re: religious thought and practice, and i don't see what the harm is in what you are describing.
I agree with this post, and it's how I would respond if it were MY child, but it isn't. It's the Klunk's child.

Klunk, I think it's already been covered, but FWIW, I fully understand and respect your POV. I think the only answer is to find a day-care that supports your values. I doubt you'll change the one your at.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:11 AM

9,986 posts, read 10,291,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I agree, but that's why I wanted to see the actual study questionnaire. Yes, a reasonable person knows what "none" means but without the study, it's a meaningless word.

I find it hard to believe, with all the bible thumpers here, more than half the population identifies as not having any religion at all. Even people who don't go to church on a regular basis, still identify as something.

It's an interesting question. I think a lot of people do identify as something. For whatever reason most of the Jewish folks I know are bacon-eating, non-synagogue-going, but do hang on to the cultural heritage and mark Hannukah and maybe Yom Kippur. I know a TON of otherwise non-Christians who do the same with Christmas and Easter, but who don't go to church at all.

"None" is a little ambiguous — do you celebrate Christmas, the most commercial time of year and a Christian holiday? The numbers there would be very high. If they're measuring "attends church regularly", then that would obviously be a lot lower.

What constitutes a "bible thumper"? Is that someone who attends church regularly or only someone who knocks on your door to ask you to attend their church?

I think there are other polls out there, but apparently the Census does not ask about religion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/up...y-do.html?_r=0 "Americans Claim to Attend Church Much More Than They Do"

Quote:
In recent years, poll after poll has found more Americans who do not identify with a religious tradition, and many denominations show evidence of decline. And yet, Americans continue to report high levels of belief and participation — more than 90 percent of Americans say they believe in God or a universal spirit, and nearly 40 percent report weekly attendance at a worship service, numbers that have remained relatively unchanged for decades.

What’s going on? A new study, released Saturday, suggests that the gradual secularization of the nation has not eliminated the perceived social desirability of going to church, and the result is that Americans exaggerate their religious behavior. That exaggeration is more pronounced among some groups — Catholics, mainline Protestants and, strikingly, the unaffiliated, meaning that even people willing to say they don’t belong to a religious tradition still feel compelled to exaggerate their attendance at worship services.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:48 PM

33,065 posts, read 12,579,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
You miss the point. There isn't any religious instruction, just some spiritualism
If the teacher is leading the children in a prayer, it is religious.

Whether the prayer is, "Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar," or "Thank Thee Great Goddess for the bounty before me," she would prefer that their child receive religious training at home.

Call it "spiritualism" if you like, but it is still religious instruction and the OP is not interested in it.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:00 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,463,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If the teacher is leading the children in a prayer, it is religious.

Whether the prayer is, "Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar," or "Thank Thee Great Goddess for the bounty before me," she would prefer that their child receive religious training at home.

Call it "spiritualism" if you like, but it is still religious instruction and the OP is not interested in it.
*shrug*

if you're going to be that concerned maybe you should think twice about letting strangers look after your kids

this basically falls under the domain of

"they tell my kids something I wouldn't say at day care"

but there is a huge gulf betweening mentioning God and doing formal *actual* religious teaching

hugely different

if i'm religious and mention God in my daily actions and yes in front of children it's pretty dumb to take as a basis to get huffed up and imply the day care is trying to indoctrinate children

and again its worth pointing out there isn't a doctrine here at all

Old 11-02-2015, 02:10 PM

2,550 posts, read 6,165,152 times
If the school had suddenly started teaching your kid "Allah, Akbar" or "All praise Xenu", I bet some of you would sing a different tune.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
If the school had suddenly started teaching your kid "Allah, Akbar" or "All praise Xenu", I bet some of you would sing a different tune.
sure or even "May lord Jesus bless this food"

but its a faith agnostic reference to God

the only people who could get offended by that are hardcore atheists who feel offended at even the mention of God in their presence

it's an inclusive reference to God

Old 11-02-2015, 02:43 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,236,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
sure or even "May lord Jesus bless this food"

but its a faith agnostic reference to God

the only people who could get offended by that are hardcore atheists who feel offended at even the mention of God in their presence

it's an inclusive reference to God
Actually the prayer is not offensive it is the misrepresentation of the program as non-religious that is an issue or has been to me. Where I moved from, ONLY religious programs incorporated a prayer into their day. Non religious programs were just that, NON-RELIGIOUS. So yes, it is surprising to find out that 2 out 3 non-religious programs that we have attended here included a prayer.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:59 PM

if you reference God in an inclusive way without ascribing to a particular faith tradition you are still non-religious

unless that day care is part of a new religion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or