U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 02:35 PM

33,035 posts, read 12,497,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
If the school had suddenly started teaching your kid "Allah, Akbar" or "All praise Xenu", I bet some of you would sing a different tune.
I'll bet so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 03:22 PM

10,702 posts, read 20,126,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
if you reference God in an inclusive way without ascribing to a particular faith tradition you are still non-religious

unless that day care is part of a new religion
I disagree, any reference to a god is religious.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:01 PM

5,700 posts, read 8,299,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Actually the prayer is not offensive it is the misrepresentation of the program as non-religious that is an issue or has been to me. Where I moved from, ONLY religious programs incorporated a prayer into their day. Non religious programs were just that, NON-RELIGIOUS. So yes, it is surprising to find out that 2 out 3 non-religious programs that we have attended here included a prayer.
Right, that's how I feel as well - it shouldn't be misrepresented and if I were the OP I'd really be frustrated as well given that it's a secular school.

It's nice for kids to learn about religions (I was raised as nothing myself, and never chose anything) - but it's only fair that the parents are fully informed.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:46 PM

2,282 posts, read 2,225,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I disagree, any reference to a god is religious.
Exactly!

Old 11-03-2015, 09:51 AM

33,035 posts, read 12,497,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
... it's only fair that the parents are fully informed.
I think this is the deal.

Many people feel like everyone shares, or should share, their religious practices and believes. A calm discussion with the director will reveal whether the praying is an out of the ordinary occurrence that will be ceasing now that it has been brought to their attention or a practice that will occur on a regular basis.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:33 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,382,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I think this is the deal.

Many people feel like everyone shares, or should share, their religious practices and believes. A calm discussion with the director will reveal whether the praying is an out of the ordinary occurrence that will be ceasing now that it has been brought to their attention or a practice that will occur on a regular basis.
No, in many other parts of the country religion is considered a personal matter and is almost never brought up, even with friends. This is true in both the NE and the West Coast. I know people from CA for years and they have never brought up their religion.

Remember folks, NC is the home of "Kudzu Jesus". I produce the link below for the incredulous:

Kudzu Jesus Spotted in Downtown Raleigh | New Raleigh

Old 11-04-2015, 10:52 AM

33,061 posts, read 26,870,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
No, in many other parts of the country religion is considered a personal matter and is almost never brought up, even with friends. This is true in both the NE and the West Coast. I know people from CA for years and they have never brought up their religion.

Remember folks, NC is the home of "Kudzu Jesus". I produce the link below for the incredulous:

Kudzu Jesus Spotted in Downtown Raleigh | New Raleigh

Eh? I know plenty of people from the NE and the West Coast who don't have any problem bringing up their religion or displaying religious beliefs, behaviors, etc.

For the West Coasters, this tends to be mostly Catholics that I see do this.

For my friends from the NE, it's Catholics and Jews, mostly.

Here in NC, you see way more of it from Protestants (higher amongst evangelicals), but it's still not widespread.

I have not had anyone ask me about my religious beliefs in ages.

In fact, the only people who really speak much of religion to me that I interact with somewhat regularly are my inlaws, who are from Florida and Michigan... neither of which is NC.

I think it really does just depend on where you settle, what type of neighborhood, and how sensitive you are to hearing anyone mention any aspect of religion.

Example: I am checking out at the grocery store and someone wishes me Merry Christmas. I respond "Merry Christmas" in return, for I am polite and know how to behave in public.

I'm not offended that the person thought I might celebrate the holiday. I own a gorgeous menorah that I bought at Bed, Bath, and Beyond a few years ago. I do light it during Hanukkah, but I'm not Jewish. I just like it.

If the clerk had wished me Happy Hanukkah when I bought it, I would not have been offended. I would have wished them a Happy Hanukkah in return. Why not?

If someone wishes me Happy Holidays? I wish them Happy Holidays in return.

I'm agnostic, btw.

Why in the WORLD people are so damned touchy about basic social niceties is beyond me.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:46 PM

8,708 posts, read 8,350,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Eh? I know plenty of people from the NE and the West Coast who don't have any problem bringing up their religion or displaying religious beliefs, behaviors, etc.

For the West Coasters, this tends to be mostly Catholics that I see do this.

For my friends from the NE, it's Catholics and Jews, mostly.

Here in NC, you see way more of it from Protestants (higher amongst evangelicals), but it's still not widespread.

I have not had anyone ask me about my religious beliefs in ages.

In fact, the only people who really speak much of religion to me that I interact with somewhat regularly are my inlaws, who are from Florida and Michigan... neither of which is NC.

I think it really does just depend on where you settle, what type of neighborhood, and how sensitive you are to hearing anyone mention any aspect of religion.

Example: I am checking out at the grocery store and someone wishes me Merry Christmas. I respond "Merry Christmas" in return, for I am polite and know how to behave in public.

I'm not offended that the person thought I might celebrate the holiday. I own a gorgeous menorah that I bought at Bed, Bath, and Beyond a few years ago. I do light it during Hanukkah, but I'm not Jewish. I just like it.

If the clerk had wished me Happy Hanukkah when I bought it, I would not have been offended. I would have wished them a Happy Hanukkah in return. Why not?

If someone wishes me Happy Holidays? I wish them Happy Holidays in return.

I'm agnostic, btw.

Why in the WORLD people are so damned touchy about basic social niceties is beyond me.
Awesome post!

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material

Old 11-05-2015, 08:34 AM

529 posts, read 389,586 times
All I care about is that I not be treated as less than human because I am not Christian, and that I not have to deal with attempts at conversion all the time. Other than that, whatever it takes that makes this chaotic level of reality make sense is A-OK by me.

As for the OP...there is a difference between learning religion and learning about religion. The latter makes us more informed; the former is coercive, especially in a school setting.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:10 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,954,304 times
When my sister was little, my parents were surprised to find that she learned a prayer to say before meals from Kindercare, a supposedly secular daycare/preschool. It went

God is great, God is good,
Let us thank him for our food.
Fold our hands, bow our heads,
Thank him for our daily bread.
Amen.

Because of this experience, I knew to ask about this type of thing before enrolling my kids in daycare. There were some daycares that I interviewed that were otherwise secular, but that did some kind of prayer like this, and that was a dealbreaker for me. It may not be specifically "Christian" in that it speaks of a generic "God", but I'm sure it would not be allowed in a public elementary school. I was looking for a public school level of secularism in a daycare, and I was able to find it, but did have to specifically ask and confirm.

I have the same concerns now that my kids are older when enrolling them in camps. There is a very nice camp nearby that I think would be great, except that they are definitely a Christian camp. That might be okay if they are a little older and they want to do it, but for now it's not going to work for us. Even so, my daughter has had several occasions where she was given a hard time by other kids at school or camp for not being a Christian. Perhaps ironically, my kids have gone to camp at the JCC, and I don't have any issue with that. The JCC camp does teach *about* Jewish things, but without the assumption that the kids are necessarily Jewish, so it is more about education than indoctrination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or