Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2015, 07:13 AM

545 posts, read 593,801 times

Advertisements

Even in a secular setting, a child should be able to pray before a meal if that is how they were raised.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 09:08 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,153 times
Quote:
I don't understand why people go flying off the handle about a minute of prayer. If a parent doesn't want their kid to participate then advise them to stare at the floor or something. Be considerate of the others.
This. This sums it all up. The next time someone comes on this board and asks how pervasive religion is in this area, I'll just paste this quote.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:16 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,314,121 times
I'm not suer where rancenc lives, but I don't think in the Triangle. Not a name I've seen before. Elsewhere in NC religion is much more pervasive. In my corner of the Triangle not so much. There would be a big stink about a teacher leading a class in prayer to God here too. Secular blessings like I posted would be fine.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:59 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,336,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'm not suer where rancenc lives, but I don't think in the Triangle. Not a name I've seen before. Elsewhere in NC religion is much more pervasive. In my corner of the Triangle not so much. There would be a big stink about a teacher leading a class in prayer to God here too. Secular blessings like I posted would be fine.
You are ignoring the regular posters on this forum who can't seem to understand why non Christians would mind a prayer before a meal at a non-secular school.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:53 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,645,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
You are ignoring the regular posters on this forum who can't seem to understand why non Christians would mind a prayer before a meal at a non-secular school.
It's not even non-Christians. There is a catholic version & a protestant version of the Lord's prayer. In my family when we had a mixed religious meeting of the family we used that prayer before meals & alternated version. it seems to me that evangelical christians feel like it's fine as long as they get their way. There's something to be said for compromise. I want to know what's wrong with a moment of silence.

This country was founded on religious freedom. If people know anything about colonial history that should shut this down immediately. A teacher should not be leading prayers of any kind in a secular school. If they feel a need for prayers there are religious schools. If they want to instruct children to express gratitude that's one thing but religion should be left out.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:33 PM

51,641 posts, read 25,774,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Nothing...I don't understand why people go flying off the handle about a minute of prayer. If a parent doesn't want their kid to participate then advise them to stare at the floor or something. Be considerate of the others.
What if the teacher started out each day with a Wiccan ceremony?

Old 11-08-2015, 04:38 PM

545 posts, read 593,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
It goes to show that narrow-mindedness is prevalent on the right and left!

Old 11-08-2015, 05:37 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,915,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What if the teacher started out each day with a Wiccan ceremony?
I've never been to a Wiccan ceremony, so I don't know what if.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:49 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,915,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
This. This sums it all up. The next time someone comes on this board and asks how pervasive religion is in this area, I'll just paste this quote.
Don't forget to mention that I don't go to Sunday school or church, don't say my prayers at bedtime, and don't say the blessing at my table unless somebody wants to say one

Old 11-08-2015, 08:05 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,190,459 times
if the OP - and any others - feel so strongly about such a matter, then they should speak to the school administration, see if this is a permanent gig, let it be known that they believed the school would not contain any references to prayer, and then adjust themselves and their children accordingly. Depending on the marketing materials used by the school, they should certainly be refunded any prepaid monies as well.

then I would suggest they also marshal the resources necessary to remove the Pledge of Allegiance (one nation, under God) and of course replace most of our money (in God we trust). Becauae we clearly don't have enough more pressing problems with our society that removing any and all references to God or religion can't solve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary