U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 05:53 AM

50 posts, read 105,444 times

Advertisements

Are there any places, outside of crowded malls and long lines, that have authentic looking Santas? With real long beards and real bellies? My husband is afraid of all the germs standing in line at the mall, so I made him a compromise that I'd find one in a non-mall setting. Help!

And thank you 😜
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 08:18 AM

15,723 posts, read 23,949,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Kat View Post
Are there any places, outside of crowded malls and long lines, that have authentic looking Santas? With real long beards and real bellies? My husband is afraid of all the germs standing in line at the mall, so I made him a compromise that I'd find one in a non-mall setting. Help!

And thank you ��
I don't have an answer but I must ask - what difference does it make where the Santa is, he's still going to be covered in germ laden kids all day long?? Am I missing something?

P.S. I can promise you if you skip Santa all together you'll be OK, my kids have never visited Santa and so far none of them seem to be turning out to be on the road to doom!

Old 10-31-2015, 08:25 AM

33,055 posts, read 26,861,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't have an answer but I must ask - what difference does it make where the Santa is, he's still going to be covered in germ laden kids all day long?? Am I missing something?

P.S. I can promise you if you skip Santa all together you'll be OK, my kids have never visited Santa and so far none of them seem to be turning out to be on the road to doom!
Mine really weren't into it, either. I don't think I took any of them more than a few times. My middle kid especially disliked it.

Mine liked seeing the Santas from a distance, along with the elves.

I'm also curious why the venue matters re: germs.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:34 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,210,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Nope. You possess something called rational thought. However, it rarely is able to reverse the opposite.

I hate the mall Santa because of the long lines and wait. City Market used to have one after the Xmas parade that was really good. No wait and cookies,cider and free carriage rides. It was a great way to avoid the after parade traffic and knock out the visit to the mall. Last year they didn't do it and we were very disappointed. Maybe,fingers crossed it was an off year and they will do the celebration in the future.

I would look at smaller town celebrations. Last year we went to a celebration in downtown Garner. I believe it was the evening before the parade but it was when they officially light up the tree. There was a little cabin set up with Mr and Mrs Claus plus a few elves to guide the kids through. Not very crowded especially early on. Oh and no pressure to buy pictures, you take your own. That's something they get real $hi??y about at the mall. I'd imagine there are other similar events throughout the Triangle.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:31 AM

15,723 posts, read 23,949,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

Mine liked seeing the Santas from a distance, along with the elves.

LOL I was at a mall once when the two older ones were about 5 and Santa came over to talk to them - it was the middle of the week and there was no one there. He tried to engage them in conversation but they were terrified to be seen by The Man and stared at the floor the whole time. I was dying laughing behind them and Santa got a chuckle too.

That was our closest encounter with Old St. Nick although one of mine tries to stay up all night Christmas Eve, even as a teenager, trying to figure out how all the presents get under the tree, hasn't caught me yet!

Old 10-31-2015, 01:37 PM

50 posts, read 105,444 times
Thanks cyn7cyn! I know almost all Santas will be germ-laden, but there's something about a Mall Santa that just doesn't sit right with my husband. Also, we're hoping to go as early as possible in the "Santa" season, so that the Santa is less "infected".

Old 10-31-2015, 01:48 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,210,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Kat View Post
Thanks cyn7cyn! I know almost all Santas will be germ-laden, but there's something about a Mall Santa that just doesn't sit right with my husband. Also, we're hoping to go as early as possible in the "Santa" season, so that the Santa is less "infected".
Bless your heart. I'd worry more about Santa being on our list of sexual offenders then his health scan. It's happened more then once within Wake county in the last few years.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:59 PM

33,055 posts, read 26,861,279 times
Suggestion:

Rent a Santa costume from a local costume shop and talk a family friend into wearing it. Have friend "drop by" one night to pay wee child a visit at home.

Problem solved.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:44 AM

430 posts, read 677,211 times
They had a really authentic looking one at Bass Pro shop last year (surprisingly!). The lines can be long but you could probably time it to avoid the worst of it. Also, they did a numbering thing where you were given a time so you could shop and then come back at your appointed time. They also give a complimentary photo.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:00 AM

488 posts, read 487,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
They had a really authentic looking one at Bass Pro shop last year (surprisingly!). The lines can be long but you could probably time it to avoid the worst of it. Also, they did a numbering thing where you were given a time so you could shop and then come back at your appointed time. They also give a complimentary photo.
Yes, he was great! The elf pointed out a ring that he wears to me. She said this ring is only given to graduates of some Santa school.
When we were there it was quiet and he spent time talking to the kids. My kids also like these things from a distance. It was so quiet Santa walked over to the arts and crafts table nearby and talked with everyone there.

I almost forgot- you get a free pic too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or