Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 12:47 PM

363 posts, read 439,311 times

Advertisements

Yes, we are also considering Greenville, SC. My husband's disability includes a vasoconstrictive disorder, so a warm climate is desirable. I thought the Raleigh area might be warmer. We ♡ NC! Leaning toward triangle due to proximity to jobs, comments made on this forum comparing the area to Virginia (we also love but know we can't afford) I have also read another thread that honestly talks about your library system, not that favorably but nothing shocking. I am currently employed in a library, as a library assistant in youth services. The library I work at has books,.puzzles, toys, ipads with educatiinal apps installed for public use, storytime and other programs. It is not unusual that libraries with bigger tax bases pay better, have more to offer the public. The competition for jobs is fierce, experience is a huge factor, but some jobs require masters degree. Thank you for all of your replies. We have a lot to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 01:46 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Given your husband's disabilities, the Triangle offers excellent healthcare facilities including Duke and UNC.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:52 AM

143 posts, read 201,553 times
Public High schools are good but crowded. Some are even capped, so new students get diverted to other schools.

Private schools are surprisingly few and far between for an area this size. If you aren't looking at a religious school, they are also quite expensive for high school - Cary Academy and Ravenscroft are in the 25k/yr range.

I have an 8th grader and we are neck deep in the water sorting out her high school options. I would never recommend someone with a high schooler to move here.

Basically, Wake County (schools are county wide) is suffering from the expansive weight of it's own success at the moment.

Also, never ever ever move to this area without a job first.

* schools I am referring to are Wake County. Can't tell you about Durham or Chatham counties.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:09 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
Surely that is one of our top considerations, being closer to all of our kids. I can't really explain why I feel so at home in NC. I lived in Maryland during high school, suburbs of DC, and am hoping that my son's high school experiences are comparable, with the diversity typical of the public education system, along with high performance standards. He wants to attend college. Ideally, we would be in an older, lovingly restored home but we are past that and just want some place with more opportunities than we currently have.
Color me confused.

If you want to get a graduate degree, I would think that where you live would depend on where you get accepted to continue your eduction. Admission to UNC graduate programs is very competitive. You may want to explore a variety of options.

If you want your son to have an experience like yours in the suburbs of DC, why not move to the suburbs of DC?

As you are looking or a place with more opportunities than you currently have, what specific types of opportunities are you looking for?

Old 11-02-2015, 08:08 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

If you want your son to have an experience like yours in the suburbs of DC, why not move to the suburbs of DC?
She said she cannot afford Virginia, by which I assume she means Northern Virginia (the suburbs of DC). Maryland suburbs of DC, where she grew up is just as expensive.

PrairieGirl, I haven't studied the size of the high schools here, but some on C-D have made mention of their high schools in Wake County being very large. So I just wanted to make you aware that there is a high school that is in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro school system that is fairly small for a public high school. There are in total about 900 students which includes 4 grades (9-12), so about 225 students per grade. The school is Carrboro High School and is fairly new - about 6 years old - so it's a beautiful, updated, modern building. Students feed into the school from either Carrboro or Chapel Hill (while other students in the district feed into Chapel Hill High or East Chapel Hill High which I believe are both about twice the size). Just wanted to pass that info. along in case it piques your interest.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:10 PM

363 posts, read 439,311 times
Thanks michgc! That is the information I was looking for. Yes, DC area would be great, but 1.) we prob cannot afford it and 2.) my husband needs to be in a warmer climate.

I would never think of moving anywhere without a job, that is not an option with a family to support. So JOB opportunities is what I am looking for. We don't know yet, but we may qualify for a housing subsidy. Otherwise, I expect to rent a smaller home or large apt. We have a cat.

GotHereqQuickAsICould, I have been accepted to San Jose State's grad program, it is completely 100% online! You might not believe this, but I think that is how many many programs will be offered in the future.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary