U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 10:36 AM

14,310 posts, read 17,519,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
There is a difference between organic and conventionally grown produce. It tastes better and there are no pesticides. Monsanto plays no role in organic produce.
I've NEVER found that organic fruit or vegies taste better.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 10:45 AM

533 posts, read 973,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've NEVER found that organic fruit or vegies taste better.
I buy organic produce almost exclusively, and I don't notice much of a taste difference either. Heirloom variety produce vs. the common stuff found at the grocery store, sure. Grass fed beef or pastured poultry vs. factory farmed meats, most definitely. But an organic Red Delicious apple vs. a conventionally grown one, not so much. I choose organic for a variety of reasons, but a difference in taste is not a primary one.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:04 AM

292 posts, read 253,258 times
Why do people think that organic produce will TASTE BETTER? It makes no sense. There is nothing about growing things organically that will make something taste better.

Now choosing an heirloom variety will have a huge difference in taste but heirlooms can be grown organically or conventionally with chemicals.

Now there is in permaculture growing where you can improve taste by growing certain plants together. Basil will improve the taste of tomatoes.

I wish people would stop with the organic "tastes better" meme. It really demonstrates how little people know about the topic.

Conventional= chemical fertilizers and pesticides

Organic= no chemicals

Old 11-05-2015, 11:43 AM

662 posts, read 1,070,127 times
I think the produce at Krogers is horrible. I have been to the store in Durham 3 or 4 times and the whole store in general is not good. The produce at HT is better but not GREAT. I wont pay the prices at Fresh Market or Whole Foods. The Farmers Market is my favorite place to go.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:33 PM

732 posts, read 1,006,786 times
Li Ming's for Asian produce and veg, Compare Foods or Superior Grocery for Latin American P&V, and Durham farmers market on Wednesdays and Saturdays or the Durham Co-op for the best, locally grown stuff.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:47 PM

1,220 posts, read 973,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
The Durham co-op stocks local, organic produce if you can't make it to the farmer's market. It is not cheap however.
Where is the Durham co-op located?? I'm currently getting most of my organic produce at Whole Foods, and could DEFINITELY use a cheaper option!

Old 11-05-2015, 01:50 PM

1,220 posts, read 973,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
Why do people think that organic produce will TASTE BETTER? It makes no sense. There is nothing about growing things organically that will make something taste better.

Now choosing an heirloom variety will have a huge difference in taste but heirlooms can be grown organically or conventionally with chemicals.

Now there is in permaculture growing where you can improve taste by growing certain plants together. Basil will improve the taste of tomatoes.

I wish people would stop with the organic "tastes better" meme. It really demonstrates how little people know about the topic.

Conventional= chemical fertilizers and pesticides

Organic= no chemicals
Well I certainly buy organic for the chemical issue. Although when I eat from a home grown garden without any spray at all, the taste difference is more than noticeable.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:50 PM

4,642 posts, read 4,464,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Where is the Durham co-op located?? I'm currently getting most of my organic produce at Whole Foods, and could DEFINITELY use a cheaper option!
1111 W. Chapel Hill Street

Durham Co-op Market | A Cooperatively Owned Grocery Store and Cafe

Old 11-05-2015, 01:51 PM

4,642 posts, read 4,464,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Well I certainly buy organic for the chemical issue. Although when I eat from a home grown garden without any spray at all, the taste difference is more than noticeable.
Thats because of the fresh factor, not the organic factor.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:52 PM

513 posts, read 397,883 times
Quote:
Where is the Durham co-op located?? I'm currently getting most of my organic produce at Whole Foods
It is on 1111 West Chapel Hill St, not far from Whole Foods.

Quote:
and could DEFINITELY use a cheaper option!
It is not cheaper, unfortunately. Prices in the store are about comparable to Whole Foods. It also doesn't have as large of selection of items. It is a more pleasant shopping experience, high ceilings, wide aisles. Not cramped and suffocating like Whole Foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary