Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 06:01 PM

714 posts, read 721,977 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready for my move to Durham and would like some recommendations for where the best place to buy good produce might be.

I've gotten spoiled in NJ. I have a supermarket here that does ridiculous "loss-leaders" on quality produce. I just paid 78 cents a pound for zucchini, 99 cents a pound for Gala apples, $2.49 a pound for brussels sprouts, 79 cents a pound for sweet potatoes. And the stuff is beautiful. Like I said -- I'm spoiled.

We also have Asian farm markets where they also have really nice produce for ridiculously low prices.

I don't expect to find anything like this in Durham. Anything that comes in from overseas or South America comes in via New York so it doesn't cost anything to ship it to NJ. I realize that shipping to North Carolina adds cost.

But for those of you in the Triangle -- where can one find the best value on quality produce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 07:40 PM

635 posts, read 1,617,265 times
We get the majority of our produce from Brinkley Farms CSA. Hard to beat farm fresh.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:48 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Stila for Asian produce. Or take a short drive to Cary and go to Grand Asia. Otherwise, it's whatever is on sale at Kroger or maybe harris teeter for me. (I don't guve a rip about organic. I want good prices and good tasting fruits and vegies.) Durham has a coupleof the nicer Kroger stores.

(I know what you mean about being "spoiled." We moved from Phoenix metro in 2012 and the cheap, good produce is one of the things I miss the most. Prepare for sticker shock.)

Old 11-01-2015, 03:59 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
I don't like the produce at my local Harris Teeter in Durham, so I usually go to either Fresh Market or Kroger but the farmer's market is the best choice ultimately. Of course, Fresh Market wouldn't lead in value, but the quality is good.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:58 AM

94 posts, read 92,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
I'm getting ready for my move to Durham and would like some recommendations for where the best place to buy good produce might be.

I've gotten spoiled in NJ. I have a supermarket here that does ridiculous "loss-leaders" on quality produce. I just paid 78 cents a pound for zucchini, 99 cents a pound for Gala apples, $2.49 a pound for brussels sprouts, 79 cents a pound for sweet potatoes. And the stuff is beautiful. Like I said -- I'm spoiled.

Maybe you should try Aldi?

The prices you mentioned really doesn't sound that good. Especially the prices for brussels sprouts. Very healthy but just brussels sprouts. When I was a child I hated it so much to eat these "little puke balls". And my mum cooked them almost every week during fall and winter.
Maybe up to $1.49 a pound seems reasonable. If you can't get them for this price, you could buy frozen ones.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:17 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Stila for Asian produce. Or take a short drive to Cary and go to Grand Asia.
I don't know Stila, Jkg. Where is that? Usually I go to Li Ming's in Durham. They have a ton of Asian and regular produce, but I'm usually just there for other Asian goodies like weird candies.

For produce I don't mind paying extra for local so I go to the farmer's markets a lot and Weaver Street in Carrboro.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:52 PM

530 posts, read 637,785 times
The Durham co-op stocks local, organic produce if you can't make it to the farmer's market. It is not cheap however.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:41 AM

714 posts, read 721,977 times
If you have never roasted brussels sprouts, you are in for a treat. Toss in olive oil with salt, pepper, a little garlic if you like, a little GOOD balsamic. Lay out on a cookie sheet in a 400-degree oven , turn half-way through. You can also slice them very thin and saute them with sliced onions -- also delicious and not those horrible boiled olive-green "puke balls" your mother used to make. :-)

Old 11-05-2015, 09:48 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
If you have never roasted brussels sprouts, you are in for a treat. Toss in olive oil with salt, pepper, a little garlic if you like, a little GOOD balsamic. Lay out on a cookie sheet in a 400-degree oven , turn half-way through. You can also slice them very thin and saute them with sliced onions -- also delicious and not those horrible boiled olive-green "puke balls" your mother used to make. :-)
YES - I made and ate an entire bag of them yesterday doing just this.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:20 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
There is a difference between organic and conventionally grown produce. It tastes better and there are no pesticides. Monsanto plays no role in organic produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary