Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2015, 01:54 AM

131 posts, read 143,722 times

Advertisements

Hi all. So I'm looking for places for my border collie (and me!) to run free. I've been to all the dog parks in the area--the Oakwood dog park, the Millbrook dog park, that one near Lake Wheeler. I haven't been to the one in Cary because apparently they charge some kind of annual fee. What the heck is up with that btw? Does the Cary dog park have a lazy river and treat dispensers or something? If it *is* some kind of doggy Disney World, please let me know.

We also hike in a lot of the local parks. Lake Johnson is always fun for an evening walk after work. Lots of other dog walkers there! Umstead and Falls Lake are fun too.

But I'm specifically looking for a place to let my dog run off-leash. It doesn't necessarily have to be a park. I am more than willing to pull over on a road somewhere and trek into the woods to let her burn off some steam.

I know people let their dogs off-leash in Umstead, and on that unpaved trail at Lake Johnson. But I'm pretty sure the Rangers give out tickets for that.

And one aside--are the Hanging Rock and Raven Rock trails dog friendly? Like, can dogs actually make it up the trail. She's a pretty rugged dog, but I don't think she can do a completely vertical climb.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 08:45 AM

63 posts, read 144,682 times
This is not nearby but you mentioned Hanging Rock so I assume you're willing to drive... so, what about the beach? Each beach has its own rules, but there are several where dogs can run off-leash at certain times as long as they're under voice control.

Dog-friendly public beaches in North Carolina | Examiner.com

Old 11-01-2015, 08:59 AM

9,339 posts, read 13,916,035 times
I am a dog lover, but it is easy to see why some places charge fees. The land had to be purchased and it needs to be maintained and insured. Maybe you could hook up with a farm owner, but you should certainly offer him something for his risk, perhaps. $10 would be fair. Having been a farm owner myself, I would not think it would be worth the risk (you get hurt, the dog gets hurt, your dog attacks mine, kills my other pets, etc.).

Old 11-01-2015, 10:10 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,778,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
Hi all. So I'm looking for places for my border collie (and me!) to run free. ........
And one aside--are the Hanging Rock and Raven Rock trails dog friendly? Like, can dogs actually make it up the trail. She's a pretty rugged dog, but I don't think she can do a completely vertical climb.....
I have been on the Raven Rock trail. It is narrow and not especially steep. I don't think it is a good place to let the dog run, even if they allow it.

In other areas of the country, they use border collies to herd geese of the golf courses. Pehaps you could try contacting to management of some golf courses with ponds to see if the need help with problem geese. There might also be office parks with ponds that would welcome your dog to herd away geese.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:39 PM

52 posts, read 59,516 times
Head up Creedmoor Road towards Falls Lake. Before you get to the lake there will be a trail on your right with gravel/dirt parking. Park there, but don't go to that trail. Go across the street to where it is blocked/chained off for service vehicles only. (It's not a road, it is just a vehicle path.) There is tons of barely marked trails, big hills, and beautiful views of the water as well as access to the water!
It was my favorite place to take my old girl before she passed. I still love to hike there.

Make sure you wear some brights and get an orange collar for your buddy...it's hunting season and there are still a few that get out that way.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:15 AM

131 posts, read 143,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandm2005 View Post
Head up Creedmoor Road towards Falls Lake. Before you get to the lake there will be a trail on your right with gravel/dirt parking. Park there, but don't go to that trail. Go across the street to where it is blocked/chained off for service vehicles only. (It's not a road, it is just a vehicle path.) There is tons of barely marked trails, big hills, and beautiful views of the water as well as access to the water!
It was my favorite place to take my old girl before she passed. I still love to hike there.

Make sure you wear some brights and get an orange collar for your buddy...it's hunting season and there are still a few that get out that way.
Thank you so much! This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Plus, I really love the drive up Creedmoor.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:33 AM

8,583 posts, read 15,948,472 times
Falls Lake has a lot of pretty isolated trails..

If your dog is under voice command then they can romp along many of the trails near you
and return to you if coming up on roads, or other people..

Look online at the Falls Lake Trails maps..

Old 11-02-2015, 06:26 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,755,190 times
Like someone said, be sure to wear some bright clothing. I fish Falls all the time and some days this time of year it sounds like a war zone out there with all the gunfire ..... it is deer hunting season so be careful !

Old 11-02-2015, 06:38 AM

650 posts, read 923,055 times
A quite obsure place is on Holly Springs Road. At the base of the hill called Rhamcat there is a pumping Station. Next to the pumping station is a Nature Conservancy park. Heavily wooded with a lazy river. Many times it will be just your dog and yourself there. It is right before Holly Springs crosses Penny Road. Enjoy. I miss my Lab Lucy.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:28 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,538,534 times
There are some meetup groups that might do - there's one in particular that meets up at someone's property in Hillsborough. I haven't been because my dog isn't great for dog parks, etc. I think it's called dog training hiking and fun meetup group. There's another dog hike group that isn't at someone's house, and they meet for on-leash hikes and at local dog parks.

Just please don't let your dog off leash in Umstead or anywhere in Eno River State Park (though everyone else does, why shouldn't you, I'm bitter, can no longer hike with my dog there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary