U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2015, 11:25 AM

115 posts, read 91,183 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a student at this school that could offer feedback? Thanks.

Last edited by jakelily; 11-03-2015 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 08:56 AM

8,264 posts, read 21,816,935 times
i know two kids who have left it! One left because she said there daily fights another left because she said despite it's name, there were very few leadership opportunities.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:00 AM

1,843 posts, read 4,095,397 times
My niece attended for a year and transferred out to Apex High. Similar experience to the above poster.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:39 AM

272 posts, read 778,711 times
My neighbor's daughter stayed one year and transferred out as well. She never mentioned why but said it just wasn't for her daughter.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:58 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,213,662 times
Ding ding ding and your out. Three times is a charm. The name of it sounds like one of those schools thats geared to higher risk students . They often use academy and "and insert current buzzword" in attempt to appear more sophisticated then they really are.

I have never been or know anyone attending said school. Just speculation

Old 11-05-2015, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the replies ya'll. Saved me a drive out to their open house tonight, which would have had me fighting rush hour traffic.

Kiddo was very impressed with their presentation at her middle school magnet fair, but their test scores were a red flag.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:32 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,213,662 times
Schools like that are more often geared towards students who don't have or are not aware of role models within their community. Using leadership in the name is supposed to signify that the school is using alternative methods to instill pride and foster self esteem. The goal is to engage disadvantaged students,with whom traditional school curriculum and culture has been determined ineffective.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:38 PM

2,535 posts, read 4,500,816 times
I thought the leadership schools were based upon The Seven Habits book...? I don't know anything about the school but Combs elementary is a leadership school that uses Covey's model and the magnet students transfer into another leadership middle school. I assumed that Leadership buzz word was connected to The Seven Habits.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:09 AM

830 posts, read 1,484,956 times
When this school was about to open, they came to our Middle school and "talked up" this place. My daughter was really excited to apply. She had to get three written references and she had to write an essay on how she displayed leadership qualities. We also had to submit her grades and transcripts etc.
We thought this was going to be a merit based application process (due to the essay, references etc)...
She didn't get accepted and then we found out that this school operates just the same as any other Wake County Magnet with a pure lottery. So I doubt those essays were even read. This was actually confirmed by WCPSS. She put a lot of work into that essay and we went out of our way to ask people we knew for references. What a sham

Old 11-06-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
When this school was about to open, they came to our Middle school and "talked up" this place. My daughter was really excited to apply.
Same with mine, she was really excited after seeing their presentation and talking with the reps that came to her school.

I found it weird that they wanted the recommendations and grades - but didn't have anything stating what the minimum academic requirements were. No mention of minimum gpa or anything.

Now we know why. Your daughter not getting seems to have been a blessing in disguise.

Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary