U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 08:15 PM

17 posts, read 26,005 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are a family of four moving from Minnesota (too cold ) to the Chapel Hill area. We have a boat and would really like to live at least 20 min from a lake. Currently live in a suburb/small town and commute about 17 miles to work. Our current home is on a wooded lot with privacy and no one behind us. We would prefer a similar situation. Our budget is the $400-500k range. We also have two children in middle school and would love some school recommendations/advice.

We are really looking forward to what NC has to offer and the new adventure it will bring. Any advice or recommendations are welcome. THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 01:26 PM

320 posts, read 235,225 times
If you've looked at the map of the area, you've probably already discovered the two largest nearby lakes for boating are Jordan Lake and Falls Lake. Jordan Lake is somewhat larger and is also the closer of the two to Chapel Hill, with Chapel Hill lying on the northwest side of Jordan Lake. There is no lake-front housing on either lake as the land around them is state-owned. There are lots of communities within 20 minutes drive to these two lakes so you'll have no shortage of options in your budget of $400-$500K.

You'll need to start to familiarize yourself with the various school districts in the area as it's always a source of confusion. Chapel Hill-Carrboro has its own school system whereas most of the rest of the area is a county-based school system. It can get confusing in that some areas with a Chapel Hill address aren't necessarily in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro school system; they might be in the Orange County school system, Durham County school system or Chatham County school system. The Chapel Hill-Carrboro school system is highly ranked, but the taxes and housing in the school system are also high. Other than Chapel Hill, I would suggest taking a look at the towns of Hillsborough (northwest of CH) and Pittsboro (south of CH). Both are very cool small towns where you can find housing with some land/privacy in your budget. You might also look into North Raleigh, defined generally as the area on the map between I-540 and Falls Lake. This is another great area to look at if you want a little land; limited housing can be found in the $400s (and even some in the $300s) though much of it is >$500K. Depending on where you'll be driving to for work they would all be within 10-25 miles, most of which would be minimal traffic. That should get you started. Good luck!

Old 11-04-2015, 01:27 PM

732 posts, read 1,006,552 times
$500K range will get you what you are looking for. If being close to a lake where you can take your boat is really important to you, you will want to look on the south end of Chapel Hill or Carrboro where you can get to Jordan Lake in about 20 minutes. There are no lakes in Chapel Hill or Carrboro proper that allows motorized boats as they are the municipal water sources. University Lake has jon boats and canoes for rent and allow kayaks.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:07 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,668,197 times
The Chapel Hill/Carrboro School district is generally said to be the best in the state, but there are some Chapel Hill addresses not in that district--just FYI. Not that Orange County (the other school district there) is bad, but some expect that a CH address will = CH/Carrboro schools.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:13 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,480,749 times
Lots of good advice. Jordan lake is the largest and deepest.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
If you've looked at the map of the area, you've probably already discovered the two largest nearby lakes for boating are Jordan Lake and Falls Lake. Jordan Lake is somewhat larger and is also the closer of the two to Chapel Hill, with Chapel Hill lying on the northwest side of Jordan Lake. There is no lake-front housing on either lake as the land around them is state-owned. There are lots of communities within 20 minutes drive to these two lakes so you'll have no shortage of options in your budget of $400-$500K.

You'll need to start to familiarize yourself with the various school districts in the area as it's always a source of confusion. Chapel Hill-Carrboro has its own school system whereas most of the rest of the area is a county-based school system. It can get confusing in that some areas with a Chapel Hill address aren't necessarily in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro school system; they might be in the Orange County school system, Durham County school system or Chatham County school system. The Chapel Hill-Carrboro school system is highly ranked, but the taxes and housing in the school system are also high. Other than Chapel Hill, I would suggest taking a look at the towns of Hillsborough (northwest of CH) and Pittsboro (south of CH). Both are very cool small towns where you can find housing with some land/privacy in your budget. You might also look into North Raleigh, defined generally as the area on the map between I-540 and Falls Lake. This is another great area to look at if you want a little land; limited housing can be found in the $400s (and even some in the $300s) though much of it is >$500K. Depending on where you'll be driving to for work they would all be within 10-25 miles, most of which would be minimal traffic. That should get you started. Good luck!
Thank you for the great advice. I did see those two lakes and I'm super happy to see there is water near by! Of course 20 min drive to boat is ideal but I should of stated that great schools will be the #1 priority. Thank you for mentioning the school system, it does sound very confusing. My husband would be working in Chapel Hill but we don't have to necessarily live there. I will be coming to visit in Dec w/a realtor to research the area. I have been researching Apex and Cary too. I will be sure to ask the realtor about what addresses are in the CH-Carrboro district and see if I like that area. If you were to say what lake is best for recreation, would it be Jordan or Falls? Both allow motorized boats correct?

Old 11-07-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Lots of good advice. Jordan lake is the largest and deepest.

Thanks for this district map! I will check out that area for housing and look at the school ratings, etc.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:01 PM

9,956 posts, read 10,243,804 times
I'd look down around Mt Carmel Church Rd for houses w/in 20 minutes of the lake. Motor boats are allowed, but I'm not sure of details. There may be some regulations about where. It's a pretty big man made lake. There are folks who like to sail down there too and folks who fish, etc.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:44 AM

550 posts, read 1,037,615 times
I'm pretty sure Lake Orange allows motorized boats, but it's a private lake in northern Orange County (Hillsborough / Cedar Grove). There are currently 3 houses for sale on the lake (all within your budget). The commute to Chapel Hill for work wouldn't be too bad, but it's Orange County schools.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:57 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,212,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'd look down around Mt Carmel Church Rd for houses w/in 20 minutes of the lake. Motor boats are allowed, but I'm not sure of details. There may be some regulations about where. It's a pretty big man made lake. There are folks who like to sail down there too and folks who fish, etc.
I love my commute down Mt Carmel Church Rd. Easily one of my top choices to live if I could afford it. I can't put my finger on what's so different about it,coming from Raleigh. It's just beautiful through there. Something about it reminds me of my childhood home in TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary