U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 05:37 AM

2,535 posts, read 4,497,004 times

Advertisements

This is at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens. It's called the million bulb walk and opens Nov 25th. Is there any large light display walking tour here in the Triangle. I am familiar with some of the neighborhoods that have been advertised on C-D in recent years, but I am looking for something more professional. Any thoughts?

http://norfolkbotanicalgarden.org/mi...ulb-walk-2015/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 06:12 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,211,255 times
We used to have the Celebration of Lights over at Walnut Creek. I know one year specifically didn't happen because of a late season schedule(Motley Crue to add insult to injury) and after that year, it just never came back. Chick fi la was the last sponsor I remember . You would pay a small fee per car and drive through while Christmas music played over your radio that they broadcasted.

Pullen park has some lighted display that is geared more towards children. It's nice but nothing really awe inspiring. Every year they run their train through the lights on a special advance ticket sales ride. I miss it every year. They sale them from the parks and recreation website and they sell out crazy quick. The problem for me is that they go on sale in August! Who is thinking about holiday plans in the summer? Apparently somebody, I'm assuming people who use the rec link site on a regular basis or have a calendar reminder in place. I thought I was up on it this year when I went online to buy tickets the first week of Sept. Wrong..... So if something like that interest you, plan for next year.

I made a thread earlier this week about the Candlelight Tour of Oakwood. Not the kind of lights you mentioned but it's a great tour and I've never met anyone who hasn't enjoyed going. 2014 Historic Oakwood Candlelight Tour™ - SPHO
Still had the link on copy/paste.

From perusing a prior thread about lights. Lake Myra is mentioned as well as Tanglewood in Winston Salem. I've been to Lake Myra and meh.. not so impressed with any of the local home displays. Anybody remember the house on New Bern Ave going downtown that used to have a huge display? Think how expensive all that must have been prior to the introduction of LED lights. Come to think about it. I remember seeing some of the old displays somewhere else in the Triangle but can't remember where.

Last edited by cyn7cyn; 11-04-2015 at 06:23 AM..

Old 11-04-2015, 06:17 AM

620 posts, read 437,846 times
Not the Triangle, but probably the most similar is the Tanglewood Festival of Lights just west of Winston-Salem. The difference is that's not a walking tour, but a driving one. It's definitely worth the drive, IMO!

Old 11-05-2015, 10:27 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,049,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
Not the Triangle, but probably the most similar is the Tanglewood Festival of Lights just west of Winston-Salem. The difference is that's not a walking tour, but a driving one. It's definitely worth the drive, IMO!
I love the Tanglewood Festival! There's an entry fee per car, IIRC but I don't think it's much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or