U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 08:46 AM

606 posts, read 583,165 times

Advertisements

I have major water accumulation in my yard. Two years back the area around my driveway was lush green and this year I have about 30 sqft of muddy area that accumulates water immediately. I do have a drain but it is about 20 ft away from where the damage is. And, the damage seems to be "spreading". What should I do? People have suggested that I install a French drain pipe as well as look into adding more of an incline. I was wondering if it is possible for me to just "treat" my soil in the area with the water accumulation with say compost or sand to help it retain water better. I'll try to add more pictures once I get home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 09:36 AM

2,034 posts, read 2,367,008 times
Septic tanks in your neighborhood?

Old 11-05-2015, 09:44 AM

3,932 posts, read 2,670,809 times
I'm a newbie so I don't know if this is par for the course, but it seems like there's been a lot of rain in the past month or two. I'm guessing a lot of people are having similar issues.

Our backyard is having issues as well - if it were my house, I'd probably install some sort of french drain.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:52 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,642,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
... I was wondering if it is possible for me to just "treat" my soil in the area with the water accumulation with say compost or sand to help it retain water better. ...
You must find a way to allow excess water to leave your yard. The best way to do this depends on the terrain. A French Drain may be adequate. Perhaps you will have clean fill dirt trucked in and spread, forming a gentle natural grade. This grade must lead away from your house.

Isaac Newton requires water to run downhill. That principle applies to a French Drain or a recontoured lot.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
You must find a way to allow excess water to leave your yard. The best way to do this depends on the terrain. A French Drain may be adequate. Perhaps you will have clean fill dirt trucked in and spread, forming a gentle natural grade. This grade must lead away from your house.

Isaac Newton requires water to run downhill. That principle applies to a French Drain or a recontoured lot.

Thanks for the input. Why would this not have been a problem two years back then? When you say French drain, do you mean the actual drain or a pipe that leads to the French Drain (which I already have)? How much do you guys suppose this costs? I got a quote for $1000 which seems crazy being that a French drain hose was only $100.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I'm a newbie so I don't know if this is par for the course, but it seems like there's been a lot of rain in the past month or two. I'm guessing a lot of people are having similar issues.

Our backyard is having issues as well - if it were my house, I'd probably install some sort of french drain.
That's what I told myself last year and the year before. The area without grass is increasing every year in my case.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:36 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,642,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
... Why would this not have been a problem two years back then? ...
Hard to say. Water accumulates according to the permeability of the soil, the amount of rainfall and in the timespan of the rainfall(s). Maybe two years ago there was more rain overall, but fewer four-day rainy spells. Regardless of what happened two years ago, you have a problem now and want to deal with it now.

Quote:
I got a quote for $1000 which seems crazy being that a French drain hose was only $100.
For a job of this nature the labor component is larger than the materials cost. The cost would be influenced by the length of trench needed, the depth of the trench, the characteristics of the soil to be excavated (rocky, sandy, etc.). In some cases the drain must be run under a driveway. ($$$!)

Old 11-05-2015, 06:02 PM

2,282 posts, read 2,225,568 times
Is it grass or weeds? Our backyard is "natural" and while it is green there are patches that are just weeds. We had a 4x 4 area that was covered with something and when we removed it the area under was just dirt, the weeds died. Well when it rained this area developed into a mud pit, it got bigger took forever to dry out. It seemed to stay a mud pit. After we installed SOD in the front of our house we installed the left over on top of the mud pit. Now that there is grass with deep roots to absorb the water the area is beautiful and does not even get mushy with heavy rain. I am not saying this will cure your problem but it would be better then just adding compost.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:46 AM

742 posts, read 746,280 times
Is the problem that you have fescue grass and you haven't been overseeding it?

If the water is accumulating in a low spot, have somebody bring you some top soil and level it out. There may have been a big tree in that spot and the roots are rotting.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:29 AM

1,988 posts, read 3,086,361 times
RE: French Drains. Remember that they are not final answers, but rather temporary "parking" for water. The ground water flows into it, and then slowly percolates out into the ground. Maybe your ground is already saturated, and so there's nowhere for additional water to go, causing it to back up and pond in your yard.

Also, landscaped yards may settle and compact over time, changing the relative elevations, and therefore the path that water 'likes' to flow to get downhill. Maybe your yard has settled in a way that the water no longer flows out, causing the ponding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or