U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2015, 10:30 AM
 
78 posts, read 72,889 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Hold up...

You're on the Austin forum saying you'll be scouting the area in December. And that your finances are tight because of med school student loans???

Which one of you is a doctor?

And I didn't say finances were tight, per se. I said that we could go higher in a mortgage if I didn't have my medical school loan payments, bc they're quite large. Hence why we wanted to keep our budget in the 400k range for housing if we are using public schools, and around 250ish if we are doing private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2015, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Chapelboro
9,998 posts, read 10,333,517 times
Reputation: 7905
I live in Chapel Hill, but there are plenty of good public schools in Wake County, too. Lots of people move to the area in part because of the rep of the public schools in Wake County and the family-friendly atmosphere. If you want private schools for other reasons, then that's understandable, but if you're involved parents (which is sounds like you are) your kids can do great in WCPSS. Even though I live in Chapel Hill and love it here I would not recommend moving here for the schools if the job is in downtown Raleigh. If you just fall in love with Chapel Hill and are willing to take on that commute because you love it so much (and I know lots of people who do that) then that's cool, but working in Raleigh and living in Chapel Hill because of a perception that the public schools are so much better in Chapel Hill than in Wake Co — nah. I wouldn't do that. Plenty of good schools in WCPSS, too, and dad could have that much more time with the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 10:46 AM
 
78 posts, read 72,889 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I live in Chapel Hill, but there are plenty of good public schools in Wake County, too. Lots of people move to the area in part because of the rep of the public schools in Wake County and the family-friendly atmosphere. If you want private schools for other reasons, then that's understandable, but if you're involved parents (which is sounds like you are) your kids can do great in WCPSS. Even though I live in Chapel Hill and love it here I would not recommend moving here for the schools if the job is in downtown Raleigh. If you just fall in love with Chapel Hill and are willing to take on that commute because you love it so much (and I know lots of people who do that) then that's cool, but working in Raleigh and living in Chapel Hill because of a perception that the public schools are so much better in Chapel Hill than in Wake Co nah. I wouldn't do that. Plenty of good schools in WCPSS, too, and dad could have that much more time with the kids.
Thank you so much. That is great advice. I have looked into public schools in Cary, but I just was nervous about the possibility of buying a house and my daughter being re-zoned somewhere I either didn't love or that was a far drive or bus ride for her with the capped schools and changing of boundaries with new schools opening. I have an 11 year old, 2 year old, and soon to be newborn. My two year old also will continue to go to preschool in the mornings there, so I just don't think I could feasibly schlep the two young ones if I have to drive her somewhere further and still get him to school on time. It just seemed much more of a gamble, if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Chapelboro
9,998 posts, read 10,333,517 times
Reputation: 7905
WCPSS is different than what folks in some areas of the country have, but the vast majority of people in Wake County put their kids in public school. I think it takes a little getting used to the differences in the big county-wide system especially if you're from an area where every little town has their own school system, but by and large it works. There are a lot of thoughtful, well-educated parents like yourself who take the plunge every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 11:27 AM
 
367 posts, read 333,715 times
Reputation: 478
. The majority of the established neighborhoods have more stable assignments. You'll see more reassignments and capping in the newer high growth areas like West Cary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 11:44 AM
 
Location: My House
33,310 posts, read 27,090,258 times
Reputation: 24618
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
. The majority of the established neighborhoods have more stable assignments. You'll see more reassignments and capping in the newer high growth areas like West Cary.
The tricky part is, when they pull up the ratings for Cary, they see that the highest-ranked schools ARE in West Cary, or near West Cary.

If I was the OP, I'd stake out the DD/DD/GH schools area like a hawk looking for fresh meat.

You can buy in her price range easily over in an neighborhood like Park Village.

I just checked the MLS and there are homes there, in Whitebridge and in Wellesley that are active right now in her price range and home size preference.

Granted, there are only 5 and they go quickly if they're in good shape, but that is what I'd do if I were her.

Especially over in Park Village, which is where she'll get the best bang for her buck. I have doubts about a bad reassignment ever happening over there and with the homes under 300k, they could swing private schools if the assignments ever went awry for some reason.
__________________
When in doubt, check it out: FAQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 12:32 PM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
15,806 posts, read 24,147,690 times
Reputation: 11769
Agree I woukd stalk Park Village like crazy and jump on it. Great neighborhood that flies under the radar and will probably stay DDE/DDMS/GHHS forever. Swimming pool with swim team, playground, walking trails and a playground and backside connects to White Oak Park. Front side across from davis drive park. Tons if kids walk to elementary and middle school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,003 posts, read 2,387,502 times
Reputation: 2765
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Agree I woukd stalk Park Village like crazy and jump on it. Great neighborhood that flies under the radar and will probably stay DDE/DDMS/GHHS forever. Swimming pool with swim team, playground, walking trails and a playground and backside connects to White Oak Park. Front side across from davis drive park. Tons if kids walk to elementary and middle school.
What city is this again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 12:43 PM
 
78 posts, read 72,889 times
Reputation: 26
Thank you all so much! I was told that DDMS was capped this year, which is why I was skeptical to even look into that option. If we are doing public schools, we can semi significantly increase our housing budget to around 425-450k. I was just a little afraid to take the gamble. I didn't know that there were homes in that zone under 300k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,493,827 times
Reputation: 3398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
What city is this again?
Cary.

DDES = Davis Drive Elementary

DDMS = Davis Drive Middle School

GGHS = Green Hope High School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top