U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-01-2008, 10:56 AM

1,832 posts, read 3,090,756 times

Advertisements

We're moving (husband is already there working, I'm coming with the kids at the end of the academic year in June) to Raleigh, and my husband's employer is right smack downtown from what I can tell (Progress Energy building). I've been culling as much advice as I can from this board, have done a couple of searches (though I'm not very good at this), and wondered if anyone knows if there's some "revitalization" or new urban living type (re)construction going on downtown? someone mentioned this to my husband and I was wondering if anyone knew about this, as well as:

- what would it cost to live downtown
-are there decent schools there (we have 2 elementary schoolers)
- what about parks, etc?

I'm just curious--we've been told to look in Cary, Morrisville, and N. Raleigh for the easiest commutes and affordable ($300-400k) living so I wanted to make sure we weren't missing any bases

Thanks!

Last edited by annesg; 02-01-2008 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: left something out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 12:23 PM

2,082 posts, read 5,145,640 times
There is a project called Moderator cut: removed Blount Street Commons that is revitalizing Blount Street by adding higher density housing in the form of row homes, townhomes and condos, mixed use flats, in addition to restoring some of the historic homes in the area. This project is just starting up, so I don't know that they have pricing information available just yet. It looks like it is going to be a great addition to downtown.

There are other options close to downtown, areas that have already been revitalized or redeveloped. You might be able to find a nice detached home in your price range in the historic Oakwood and Mordecai neighborhoods. Historic Glenwood/Brooklyn, Cameron Park and Boylan Heights also might have some in your price range, although these tend more on the higher side. There are also several condo options. Keep in mind that you will get less space for your money downtown, but to me it is worth it. To others, not so much.

I don't know much about the school situation, but I've heard that some of the schools downtown are very good.

There are several parks in the vicinity of downtown, including Moore Square (festivals are often held here), Nash Square, Lions Park, Oakwood Park, Chavis Park and Pullen Park.

Best of luck.

Last edited by autumngal; 02-01-2008 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: removed link

Old 02-01-2008, 12:26 PM

1,900 posts, read 4,292,918 times
The area of Raleigh inside the I-440 Beltline (aka ITB) is very expensive. It has some beautiful old neighborhoods like Hayes Barton, Cameron Park, and Historic Oakwood that have been popular for awhile now. Lately a lot of expensive condos have been built downtown.

Things have changed quite a bit in just a few years. Glenwood South has emerged as a very popular area for restaurants and bars. Fayetteville Street has been reopened to vehicle traffic and new restaurants and bars have opened around there. The old Civic Center has been demolished, creating a nice view from the Capitol bldg to Memorial Auditorium.

There are some parks ITB worth mentioning. Lake Johnson is just ITB, and is connected to greenway to downtown. Pullen Park is close to downtown and popular with families. Fletcher Park is near 5 Points/Hayes Barton. There are some others. Down the road, the Dorethea Dix property next to NC State and Pullen Park may well become a very large park.

But $400K probably gets you a modest condo. It would buy a quite nice house in the suburbs.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:21 PM

376 posts, read 630,053 times
$400K could get you a 2000sqft fixer-upper in any of the core downtown historic neighborhoods like Oakwood, or Boylan Heights, and a major fixer-upper in Cameron Park or Glenwood-Brooklyn if you're lucky. You might be able to find something nicer for that amount of money in Mordecai or University Park. Living downtown with two kids will be tough unless you have unlimited money. I have a coworker that bought new construction in Bennett Woods, just a bit north-east of downtown, which is working out fine for her and her young family of four. Keeping up an historic house is a lot of work for someone with kids and such to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary