U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2015, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,088 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I want to thank you in advance to answer my question. And sorry that my post might be long.

I'm from Taiwan and moving to Triangle for my job transfer at the end of November. I've been looking for some apartments and want to know if I am still on the right track with all the searching, and I'd appreciate if you have any advice that you can provide to me.

A little background:
I'm a 32 year old single woman. Moving to NC for good. Planning to buy a car after I get my NC driver's license. Looking for affordable and safe neighborhood to live for long term. I don't want to be too far away from my work (I will be working on the Development Drive, Morrisville), and I don't want to be too far away from all the entertainments and social events either.

I'm looking for one-bed apartment and want to avoid apartments that will have too many college students. I've been searching in Cary, NW Raleigh, and just somewhere between Carry and Raleigh (PNC arena area).

The rent I have so far is around $850 to $950 in Cary area; and around $750 to $800 in NW Raleigh; around $850 in PNC arena area.

My questions are:
- Are these areas safe enough?
- Am I paying too much for the rent to live in these areas?
- For people who work in Triangle, how far away do you live from work if you are single without a family and kids? Or, what is a reasonable commute in Triangle area?
- For someone who is new to this area (I've been there twice for business trip). Is there any place I should probably avoid going?

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 08:39 AM

69 posts, read 116,971 times
I think Brier Creek and PNC area might be best options for you. Cary is nice, but it is more family oriented.

Brier Creek is a nice area with many restaurants and shops. From your description, I guess you are going to work for Lenovo, and Brier Creek is about 10' from Lenovo campus on Development Dr. From there, it takes you about 15' to get to PNC, about 15'-20' to get to downtown Durham, and about 30' to downtown Raleigh, 15'-20' to either Crabtree mall or SouthPoint mall. I like BC location b/c you can pretty much drive to all destinations in the triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill) from here.

PNC area should be nice as well. It is probably about 15' from your work, and closer to downtown Raleigh.

These areas are nice and safe. I cannot comment on the pricing though.

Good luck with your move!

Old 11-07-2015, 10:46 AM

620 posts, read 440,867 times
The pricing seems right on par for the area. In general, a one bedroom will average between $800-1000 depending on size, condition, and amenities.

I wouldn't recommend any apartment complexes immediately around the PNC Arena. In addition to being by the Arena, that's also the area of Carter-Finley (NC State's football stadium) and the State Fairgrounds. There are a number of events at all three of those facilities that will seriously affect traffic, particularly int he evenings and on weekends. I used to live walking distance from PNC, and it was a nightmare at times.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,088 times
Awesome!

Thank you for your response. This really helps me to eliminate some of my searchings!

Old 11-09-2015, 02:56 PM

22 posts, read 18,544 times
I lived around PNC arena and didn't think the events impacted me at all. I actually enjoyed the location as it allows easy access to the highway and it was pretty easy to get to downtown. Also, that area is safe. In general, the Triangle is clean and safe.

Do you want to be closer to downtown Raleigh or just closer to work? I think Cameron Village could be a good spot. It is off Wade Ave which allows you easy access to 40 and Morrisville for you work commute. I'd expect a 20 minute commute. But, it is close to all of the happenings in the Raleigh area. Many young professionals live there as college folks can't afford $1k rent.

Also, Cameron Village itself has a lot of stuff to do. Several restaurants, bars, shops, boutiques, grocery stores etc... Also, Cameron Village is 5 minutes or less to downtown Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary