Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I see the need for better public transport in the triangle area
Yes - improve buses 19 26.03%
Naah - whats in place is good enough 1 1.37%
Dont care - I prefer to drive or I WFH 21 28.77%
Yes - but with monorail/train 32 43.84%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 10:42 AM

634 posts, read 912,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Nah - the Jetsons owned their hovercar.

I don't want to own the transport - I would however be willing to have a charging pad put in my driveway, especially if it meant my travel needs gained only a slight priority bump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 10:50 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
Nah - the Jetsons owned their hovercar.

I don't want to own the transport - I would however be willing to have a charging pad put in my driveway, especially if it meant my travel needs gained only a slight priority bump.
"beta." Far from the finished product. We will consider your needs before RTM.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:56 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrr View Post
...So I get a response back from some inept manager on how THERE IS a way to do it, points me to a bus from Cary to near I-40, then another from near-I-40 to RTP, then another from RTP to Durham, involving lots of walking and transit times totaling to 3 hours. I threw my arms up.

These idiots spend our tax dollars on huge buses that are almost always empty or have one very overweight passenger in them. The feds or whoever who are overseeing state transport budgets are obviously looking the other way while folks here are the least bit interested in mass transport. They would rather face rash or horrible drivers on the interstate than demand better mass transit systems.

Why are so many opposed to a better bus/train system serving the many cities here
You obviously are not only well informed but a gentleman at that. I am guessing you want all of the other inept/idiot/overweight tax payers to build a multimillion dollar train system to take you to work, or buy you a bus that picks you up at your front door for almost nothing, just so you don't need to spend a dime. Imagine building that rail system. How many thousands of people will need to have their homes and businesses demolished just so would-be riders can cry about how the train is too far from their house, too far from where they work? How many people will have to pay through taxes for an expensive system they will never use, and will cause more traffic congestion rather than less?

Old 09-06-2016, 05:39 PM

31 posts, read 28,546 times
Update: I retract on my OP for the following moot points:

1. Not cost-effective with work places beings so spread out (But I was focusing on RTP, which IS a slightly dense work area)

2. Most Americans DO think it is for the poorer folk.

3. May lead to overgrowth/overpopulation

4. Easier spread of Zika and other threats

Maybe a shared uber-like system iu the way to go

Old 09-07-2016, 06:57 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
I'm all for a light rail option but it would only be minimally effective around here I think. For any of it to be effective you would need outlying stations with parking available. A bus just doesn't offer enough of a bonus to make it worthwhile in my opinion. But with the rising population maybe it will some day.

the cost of the light rail is really what's prohibitive though. I would use it but can't imagine the taxes they'd raise to make it all work.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:21 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
As cost inefficient as it may seem (in addition to how spread out the Triangle is), some sort of train system with park and ride services would probably be the best way to attract white, upper/middle class people to take public transportation - the bus system is unattractive to many Americans because of the weird/poor/homeless people that are the majority of public transportation's current users. Expanded bus service is helpful for those of us open to taking transit and those who currently take transit but may not be the motivation behind people trying out public transit for the first time. Americans like stuff that is new and shiny.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:23 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
i was in vancouver a while back and really enjoyed their sky train

i think only a rail can save us but it's primary value will be anchoring and centralizing future development in a dense corridor

which is of course hard to quantify

Old 09-07-2016, 08:50 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
i was in vancouver a while back and really enjoyed their sky train

i think only a rail can save us but it's primary value will be anchoring and centralizing future development in a dense corridor

which is of course hard to quantify
In Denver, there were tons of apartments and developments being built around the light rail line there. Not sure if that's the case elsewhere as well though since I didn't have a car.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:39 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
The thing is, expanding interstates and adding lanes just isn't sustainable in the long run. Build more lanes, more people drive on them and they get clogged, build even more lanes and *they* get clogged and on and on till everything is covered in interstate. I know that's a long time coming, but thinking long term is a good strategy.
So right.

A rail solution was laid out years ago but never came to pass.

As a result of ignorant growth, it will be harder to do rail here than NYC where residents can park at the train station and take rail to town.

What we need would be rail plus circulator bus similar to downtown's "R" line that will get folks from the train terminal to work.

RTP should have been throttled down discouraging growth and sprawl.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:54 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
The Triangle needs to take a closer look at PDX and learn from their light rail system. They too are a multiple county metroplex that was able to work together to bring light rail from the suburbs into downtown. The Triangle could have a main line from Durham through RTP to Raleigh, then from there add additional lines to connect to the main line. Using existing roads to lay tracks can be done. Light rail tends to attract riders from all walks of life, not just the poor. But since it does cost money, most taxpayers will not be in favor. We want services, we just do not want to pay for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary