U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 12:19 PM

11,791 posts, read 27,445,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I get your point. Trust me I'm a stickler about throwing things away that could have another use. However do you actually think the employees of thrift shops are conscientious or even trained how to spot tainted stuffed animals? It's not hard to imagine that Suzy doing her community service hours at Cause for Paws, isn't going to check all the inseams and make sure none of the plastic eyes etc.. are loose or there isn't bed bugs inside it. Stores have made the decision that the profit isn't worth the effort. With stuffed animals,I understand why.

Vicki please know I'm not insinuating your beanie babies fall into that category. I actually didn't read who the post came from. My mother has a big collection of Steiff and Gund Bears that I will one day need to find a home. So I get your dilemma. I've just seen my fair share of supposedly donatable items and the toss or keep decision seems to be,very subjective.
No, I didn't think that. I did think it strange that another poster said when family gives his kids a new stuffed animal he tosses it in the trash. It IS tempting and easier to toss them or give them to GW but I'll take the extra step to see if I can send them somewhere to someone who really wants them.

If I were buying toys in a thrift store, I would be the one that inspects the toys before I gave to any child. I agree...not sure the person working there would be that diligent.

And I do understand that hospitals may be a bit wary of stuffed animals, with germs, etc.

"I" found what "I" was looking for...a shelter that will put them to good use and an "Angel Tree" that will add them to Christmas gifts for children that may not get other gifts.

So...I'm happy with my decision and the extra time it has taken to get them where they are going!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 05:33 PM

6,081 posts, read 7,030,845 times
I wonder if anyone has ever thought about giving gently used stuffed animals to alzheimer patients? I was visiting a facility once where a woman with A was sitting contentedly petting her little stuffed animal like it was a kitten. I was told she did this frequently. It seemed to keep her settled and at peace.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:23 PM

2,282 posts, read 2,226,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I have about 200 Beanie Babies and about 25 Ty Attic Treasure stuffed animals that I'd like to donate.

I don't want to give them to Goodwill.

Are there any churches in the area that are collecting toys for Christmas?

I'm in Raleigh but can drive to a surrounding town/city.

Thanks!
First Baptist in Downtown Raleigh has a program Toy Joy, they give toys to people who receive clothes from their clothing ministry.

Clothing Ministry | First Baptist Church Raleigh

Old 11-17-2015, 07:22 AM

8,264 posts, read 21,810,162 times
How to Donate Stuffed Animals

Old 11-17-2015, 08:19 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,250,261 times
Helping Hand Ministry in Raleigh would probably take them, but I don't know if they'd sell them or give them away.

As someone else mentioned, there are charities that give stuffed animals to law enforcement officers and other first responders to keep in their vehicles. If they get to an incident where there is a frightened child, they can give them a stuffie to help calm them down.

A great idea, IMO, but hard to find. When we were in Boston, we had to drive 30-40 miles out of the city to drop some off. If someone knows the name of a charity that does similar work in the Triangle, please post it on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary