Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 01:18 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,015,322 times

Advertisements

I would think if the connection was good and solid being on the speed bump would not have broken the connection to start with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 01:21 PM

258 posts, read 671,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would think if the connection was good and solid being on the speed bump would not have broken the connection to start with.

It was the length of the boat was the problem...I am not talking a little boat...and the trailer "dragged" across it...pulled the plug loose "just enough" it was still plugged in, but not making connection....visibly was still plugged in

Old 11-09-2015, 01:23 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,976,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68scout View Post
I just thought it was wrong that he could lecture me on safety when he ignored a chance to do it before it was a safety issue...
Was it obnoxious? Very much so. Was it more dangerous to the general public than approaching you in the parking lot? I would say so.

Does it have any legal bearing on the ticket he wrote you? Not as far as I can tell (I am not a lawyer). You had an equipment violation and he pulled you over for it. End of story.

Quote:
i thought that was their job, to protect...and since he ignored his duty of public safety in order to collect revenue its just wrong.
Unfortunately, in much of the country, a police officer's job includes generating revenue. Shouldn't be like that, but it is. Other unfortunate aspects of their job are doing whatever they feel like, and making life unpleasant for anyone who complains about it.

Not that I'm cynical.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:25 PM

703 posts, read 775,881 times
Yeah, in my opinion, this is the type of stuff that gives police officers a bad name. Anyone that saw that 1) your taillights weren't functioning, 2) then saw that you pulled over in the lot and were out of your vehicle, and 3) has even the slightest interest in a) helping their fellow man and b) general public safety - would have stopped to let you know that your taillights were out. The fact that this policeman had no interest while in the parking lot in either a or b, then it truly speaks to his character and the likely fact he was really only interested in c) driving revenue for his department. It had nothing to do with jurisdiction. It was nothing more than a game of "gotcha" for him. Public safety is about prevention, not about punishment after the fact. He could have easily prevented any public safety issue by bringing it to your attention in the parking lot.

You were right not to bring up these points while being pulled over. Law enforcement officers will not take kindly to this type of conversation/debate. I do think it's worth your day in court to make these points to a judge though.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:31 PM

620 posts, read 635,049 times
Quote:
All the more reason I feel he had an obligation to say something BEFORE I got on the road
You stopped and were adjusting everything that came apart on the speed bump. He probably figured you would address the problem, and when he saw that you got on the road without fixing it, he pulled you over then.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
Yeah, in my opinion, this is the type of stuff that gives police officers a bad name. Anyone that saw that 1) your taillights weren't functioning, 2) then saw that you pulled over in the lot and were out of your vehicle, and 3) has even the slightest interest in a) helping their fellow man and b) general public safety - would have stopped to let you know that your taillights were out. The fact that this policeman had no interest while in the parking lot in either a or b, then it truly speaks to his character and the likely fact he was really only interested in c) driving revenue for his department. It had nothing to do with jurisdiction. It was nothing more than a game of "gotcha" for him. Public safety is about prevention, not about punishment after the fact. He could have easily prevented any public safety issue by bringing it to your attention in the parking lot.

You were right not to bring up these points while being pulled over. Law enforcement officers will not take kindly to this type of conversation/debate. I do think it's worth your day in court to make these points to a judge though.
I agree.. and hope I can work this to my advantage in court...my lights were working in the parking lot when he was behind me BEFORE I went over the hump... and he saw this...he also apparently saw them no longer working after I stopped to secure the rigging...and drove by and said nothing. Yes I was outside the vehicle at this time.

Again his first words at the traffic stop where "I noticed your lights not functioning at the food lion parking lot"...

Being this was indeed a "safety" issue and not a "criminal" issue is why I think he was in the wrong for his actions

we will see

Old 11-09-2015, 01:42 PM

12 posts, read 8,706 times
Quote:
It was the length of the boat was the problem...I am not talking a little boat...and the trailer "dragged" across it...pulled the plug loose "just enough" it was still plugged in, but not making connection....visibly was still plugged in

So you stopped in the parking lot but did not physically check your connection since the boat scraped then you proceeded to drive out of the parking lot without physically checking your lights and you are upset that you got a ticket?

Whose fault is it that you assumed the plug was connected from sight?
Whose place is it to make sure all lights are working before driving away?
What exactly is a "safety check" to you if you do not check the lights/turn signals, etc. before driving away?

Old 11-09-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. CSD View Post
So you stopped in the parking lot but did not physically check your connection since the boat scraped then you proceeded to drive out of the parking lot without physically checking your lights and you are upset that you got a ticket?

Whose fault is it that you assumed the plug was connected from sight?
Whose place is it to make sure all lights are working before driving away?
What exactly is a "safety check" to you if you do not check the lights/turn signals, etc. before driving away?
Had no reason to suspect anything was wrong with the lights...checked the plug, was plugged in.. safety check less than 15 min prior the lights were fine. If I hadn't been ambushed and pulled over in such a bad spot I could've demonstrated to the officer with a quickness all was fine. He refused to let me out, already had a ticket printed up when he returned from his car.

I stopped to secure a single piece of rigging had fallen and was hanging on the boat.

My point is the OFFICER noticed it and ignored it to collect revenue. Even though he rode on by 10 ft from me and waved at me...

I guess I should pull over and check my lights every mile or less from now on huh chief?

Old 11-09-2015, 02:18 PM

25 posts, read 36,237 times
The problem here is that you ASSUME he have fully knowledge that your light was not working. It is hearsay. Without evidence that he fully intended to pull you over once you are out of parking, you have no case to build on.

That being said, he probably was waiting for you. Unless there is a law that said all revenue from traffic stop does not go back to the police district then we are screwed as civilian.

I would suggest getting it reduce as much as possible in court.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmart View Post
The problem here is that you ASSUME he have fully knowledge that your light was not working. It is hearsay. Without evidence that he fully intended to pull you over once you are out of parking, you have no case to build on.
I didn't assume...he stated he saw it in the parking lot prior....so he fully intended on pulling me over, which is why he hid in the bushes next to the traffic light since apparently he cannot ticket in a parking lot. Which is a douche thing to do, not in line with protect and serve...

This is an interesting thread.. in the end it will all be up to what transpires with the DA...I am not going to "court" as it is the minor violation type and they do that downstairs. I went 3 years ago for an expired (by 3 days) tag and it was dropped as I had it renewed on Monday when the DMV opened for biz...they moved to the "new justice center" but it is still the same procedure...there is no judge there..just a lowly assistant DA...

We shall see..

It is an interesting thread...

I still feel that I did everything within my power that I could...I also feel that had I been pulled over down the road, say by a different cop who randomly saw my lights not working I could've gotten out and demonstrated they worked quickly...and not gotten a ticket.

It all depends on the DA...I think I have a good argument in saying the officer stated (doubt rolesville has body cams lol...or it would be on tape) that he was aware of the violation before I entered the road...I have a witness...my wife heard him before the other one scared the hell outta her.

We shall see...I can afford the ticket, and it won't affect insurance and license....I still don't think it was right to do what he did, so I will give it a shot fighting it anyway since I got nothing to lose...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary