U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 04:00 PM

981 posts, read 543,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68scout View Post
All the more reason I feel he had an obligation to say something BEFORE I got on the road
If I'm the officer, I'm playing Devil's advocate here, and I saw what happened - I saw you get out and assess the situation, I'm assuming that you are fixing your lights and they will be in full working order.

Maybe he did wait just for you, maybe he didn't. Either way you didn't fix your lights, as he assumed. And I'm not familiar with the area, did you have more than one option when leaving the Food Lion? As in, how did you know he was waiting just for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 06:01 PM

613 posts, read 614,769 times
Rolesville. Says it all. Small town USA. Cops have basically nothing to do. The highlight of their shift is driving from Hardees to Sonic. Wake Forest is just as bad. Except they can go to Chick fil a. So the little trivial events become important. Just like Barney Fife.
Pick a lawyer from the one's filling your mail box.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:35 PM

2,310 posts, read 3,224,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
If I'm the officer, I'm playing Devil's advocate here, and I saw what happened - I saw you get out and assess the situation, I'm assuming that you are fixing your lights and they will be in full working order.

But the cop said that he saw that the lights were not working back in the parking lot.

I'd drive down to the magistrates office, and show them the ticket, and tell them there is nothing wrong with the lights. Explain that they are functioning properly. It may be dropped as a "fix it"
ticket. Can't hurt. If not, I'd go to court and fight the ticket in front of the judge.

Also, people often feel pressured to pull over immediately, even in an unsafe location. You can continue driving until you get to a safe to stop place. You do not have to pull over in a dark, unlit spot, small or no shoulder road, etc.

Last edited by TheBigKahunaNC; 11-09-2015 at 07:44 PM..

Old 11-09-2015, 07:39 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,911,509 times
Quote:
Had no reason to suspect anything was wrong with the lights...checked the plug, was plugged in.. safety check less than 15 min prior the lights were fine. If I hadn't been ambushed and pulled over in such a bad spot I could've demonstrated to the officer with a quickness all was fine. He refused to let me out, already had a ticket printed up when he returned from his car.

I stopped to secure a single piece of rigging had fallen and was hanging on the boat.

My point is the OFFICER noticed it and ignored it to collect revenue. Even though he rode on by 10 ft from me and waved at me...

I guess I should pull over and check my lights every mile or less from now on huh chief?
The point is that after you knew there was a problem hearing the scraping you did not do another proper safety check to visually ensure the lights were in proper working order.

It is not the job of the Officer to instruct you when you need to do a proper safety check, physically and visually. You have no one but yourself to blame for this ticket.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:46 PM

2,310 posts, read 3,224,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

It is not the job of the Officer to instruct you when you need to do a proper safety check, physically and visually. You have no one but yourself to blame for this ticket.
Is it the "job" of the officer? No, but anyone with a hint of common decency would have told him his lights weren't working before setting a Roscoe P.Coltrain ambush.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:19 PM

258 posts, read 577,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Is it the "job" of the officer? No, but anyone with a hint of common decency would have told him his lights weren't working before setting a Roscoe P.Coltrain ambush.
exactly...I typed this...and so you can't hear what happened when I say "scraped" in a post on the internet so I have somehow painted a picture that there was catastrophic damage which I as a driver failed to attend to... there was not, nor any reason to suspect the lights had failed. Again, symantics of the post I guess...if that had actually happened of course an entire check would have been in order..

but thats not what happened...what happened was a piece of rigging was now dangling off the boat...and was improperly secured at the time I left BEFORE I got to food lion.. the bump made it fall. i could've not stopped and left the stay loose and it wouldn't harmed anything, but it annoyed me so I stopped... I was at the front of the boat tying it off, and headed back to the drivers seat when the cop passed me and I waved...an excellent time to tell me the lights that were working 3 minutes ago weren't anymore...again he was right behind me, and had to wait to get around me...so he saw, and again he told me this...I didn't assume it...he told me he saw they were no longer working at the Food lion

he saw the lights working, after the speed bump he saw they weren't... he drove right past me and said nothing, hid around the corner, and then popped me... and thats not only what pisses me off but makes me thing it was a shady way to be a police officer .

Whatever, still a douche bag thing to do especially since its not a criminal offense

If I had been pulled by another officer down the road would doubtfully have resulted in a ticket since there was no "equipment failure"...99% of cops pulled me over would ask if I knew my lights were not working...and 99% would've given me the half second to double check.... again protect and serve..

Seems quite a few of you throw the blame on me...fair enough.

I'll report back when I go to court...my $ is on I will get it dropped...

cheers

Old 11-10-2015, 08:20 AM

7,804 posts, read 6,155,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
Yeah, in my opinion, this is the type of stuff that gives police officers a bad name. Anyone that saw that 1) your taillights weren't functioning, 2) then saw that you pulled over in the lot and were out of your vehicle, and 3) has even the slightest interest in a) helping their fellow man and b) general public safety - would have stopped to let you know that your taillights were out. The fact that this policeman had no interest while in the parking lot in either a or b, then it truly speaks to his character and the likely fact he was really only interested in c) driving revenue for his department. It had nothing to do with jurisdiction. It was nothing more than a game of "gotcha" for him. Public safety is about prevention, not about punishment after the fact. He could have easily prevented any public safety issue by bringing it to your attention in the parking lot.

You were right not to bring up these points while being pulled over. Law enforcement officers will not take kindly to this type of conversation/debate. I do think it's worth your day in court to make these points to a judge though.
all of this. What the judge wants to know is:

My lights had been functioning.
Apparently, in driving over the speed bump the lights disconnected.
I stopped to re-secure them, but I admit I failed to re-check their operation.
The officer passed me immediately during this, and didn't stop, from a public safety standpoint, to indicate that no, my lights weren't working.
Later, as I was driving, the same officer stopped me because the lights weren't working and gave me a ticket.
I wasn't given any opportunity to either verify the lights weren't working, or to simply test and tighten that connection.
Here is my proof that indeed it was nothing more than a connection.

Will you please dismiss my ticket, and all court costs?

Old 11-10-2015, 08:32 AM

981 posts, read 543,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
But the cop said that he saw that the lights were not working back in the parking lot.

As I noted, the officer saw him get out of his vehicle and walk around. Like I said, I would assume that he was fixing the problem. Furthermore we don't even know if the officer saw the light was out or not. A lot of assumption here. We don't know that the officer knew his exact route home and waited to "ambush" him (unless the food lion is on a dead end street, and there was only one way to go).

The point is, he was driving a with a trailer that created a driving hazard for the people behind him. It's dark, light's out if he was rear-ended it would have been the other driver's fault.

What I'm reading is he got blocked in a spot, exited in haste and in the end it ended up costing him. I get it, it sucks. I feel bad for his unfortunate situation but that doesn't change the facts.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:46 AM

7,049 posts, read 5,228,746 times
Quote:
Curious, what say you?
More or less par for the course for a small town cop.

Quote:
Is my plan...and to let the DA know that the officer witnessed the incident with the speed bump...it made a hella noise as she scraped across...
Quote:
I agree.. and hope I can work this to my advantage in court...my lights were working in the parking lot when he was behind me BEFORE I went over the hump... and he saw this...he also apparently saw them no longer working after I stopped to secure the rigging...and drove by and said nothing. Yes I was outside the vehicle at this time.

Again his first words at the traffic stop where "I noticed your lights not functioning at the food lion parking lot"...

Being this was indeed a "safety" issue and not a "criminal" issue is why I think he was in the wrong for his actions

we will see
Quote:
Had no reason to suspect anything was wrong with the lights...checked the plug, was plugged in.. safety check less than 15 min prior the lights were fine. If I hadn't been ambushed and pulled over in such a bad spot I could've demonstrated to the officer with a quickness all was fine. He refused to let me out, already had a ticket printed up when he returned from his car.

I stopped to secure a single piece of rigging had fallen and was hanging on the boat.

My point is the OFFICER noticed it and ignored it to collect revenue. Even though he rode on by 10 ft from me and waved at me...

I guess I should pull over and check my lights every mile or less from now on huh chief?

I would lose the whole "Officer was being a jerkwad," "I think he was in the wrong," attitude. It won't get you anywhere with the DA or courts or whatever. And, its kind of irrelevant.

Just go to court and explain that it came out when you hit the bump, the officer saw you hit the bump, the trailer was in working order, you're sorry for being a menace to the citizens of the county, please dismiss my ticket.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:48 AM

613 posts, read 614,769 times
All good advice. But I would add one thing. I would tell the Judge that when I got back in the vehicle I was certain that I had repaired the lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or