U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 12:05 PM

6,409 posts, read 4,495,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
All good advice. But I would add one thing. I would tell the Judge that when I got back in the vehicle I was certain that I had repaired the lights.
You're advocating to lie to a judge? I wouldn't do it.

(He said he had no reason to suspect they were not working, which I fully understand and believe. He didn't say he fixed them, as he was not aware it was needed.) Purgery is not among the best recommendations. (And apparently not a word I know how to spell either....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 03:38 PM

258 posts, read 577,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
As I noted, the officer saw him get out of his vehicle and walk around. Like I said, I would assume that he was fixing the problem. Furthermore we don't even know if the officer saw the light was out or not. A lot of assumption here. We don't know that the officer knew his exact route home and waited to "ambush" him (unless the food lion is on a dead end street, and there was only one way to go).

The point is, he was driving a with a trailer that created a driving hazard for the people behind him. It's dark, light's out if he was rear-ended it would have been the other driver's fault.

What I'm reading is he got blocked in a spot, exited in haste and in the end it ended up costing him. I get it, it sucks. I feel bad for his unfortunate situation but that doesn't change the facts.

It wasn't dark...it was 1 in the afternoon

I didn't walk around the vehicle inspecting it...I got out, walked to the front of the boat to secure a wire I hadn't done earlier

No indication or reason to believe lights weren't working as they were less than a few minutes ago when I pre-trip inspected it.

He indeed was waiting in the trees right next to the light...

I didn't exit in "haste"

"Furthermore we don't even know if the officer saw the light was out or not. "

yes we do...as that was the first thing he told me when he approached the vehicle when he pulled me over was that he saw back in the parking lot they were not working anymore...

anyway

Old 11-10-2015, 03:44 PM

I'm not going to lie
I'm not going to paint the officer as a "jerkwad" though he was

Going to simply say the lights were working, officer saw that...then they were not, and officer saw that too
in his own words

I was not given a chance to even inspect, at which point I could've easily demonstrated all was well

Pretty much will tell the DA right what happened and if he had noticed it in the parking lot he has an obligation as "public safety" to point it out since he was 10 ft from me. Not ambush me as he did, and if he had let me out of the vehicle (he said it was unsafe to exit where I was pulled over) I could've shown him all was good = no ticket

its not a "criminal" offense so chances are they will drop it...I've already got a folder with photos and "eveidence' to bring to present my case.

This has been fun..

I promise to update

what amazes me how already the facts are skewed, as one pointed out it was "dark" and I was going home...totally inaccurate

Old 11-10-2015, 05:32 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,165,571 times
Just re-read my and 3stripes posts, please.

I think a simple comment that he indicated he saw they were out and you would have assumed, in the interest of public safety, he would have told you ("I love cops, I think they're great people"), and that it was merely unplugged but functions fine....that's your angle.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Just re-read my and 3stripes posts, please.

I think a simple comment that he indicated he saw they were out and you would have assumed, in the interest of public safety, he would have told you ("I love cops, I think they're great people"), and that it was merely unplugged but functions fine....that's your angle.

is pretty much my plan bro

that and Twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy pictures

Old 11-11-2015, 10:29 AM

965 posts, read 1,735,071 times
1) You may be able to get it dismissed simply by showing it's fixed. A Morrisville cop once tailed and gave me a ticket because light was out. But once I fixed it, they dismissed it.

2) Is there really a law that says cops can't ticket you in grocery store parking lots because it's considered "private property".

3) How did the cop know you were headed that direction after leaving the parking lot? If you headed down another path, you would have been scott free?

Off topic, but I was thinking of getting a trailer. How do I determine if I need to plate it or not.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:13 PM

241 posts, read 379,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
2) Is there really a law that says cops can't ticket you in grocery store parking lots because it's considered "private property".
Kind of, but the other way around. The law that says you must have lights on your trailer applies to "streets and highways". It doesn't apply to private parking lots. Many laws don't apply in parking lots. You can drive without a license, without a seat belt, without stopping at stop signs, etc. Of course, if you're in a wreck, any of these factors may show you at fault for the wreck.

Some laws DO apply even in private parking lots, however. DWI and reckless driving, for example.

So it's not that cops *can't* ticket you in parking lots, it's just the some things aren't illegal until you hit a street or highway.

And I concur with some of the others: Just show that it was fixed, and I'm sure the charges will be dropped by the DA.

Oh, and about license plates on trailers: Yes, you'll have to get one. IIRC, it's $15/year or $70 for a permanent plate that never expires. Any trailer that's made to haul property (camper, boat trailer, utility trailer) is required to have a license plate.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:28 PM

7,057 posts, read 5,238,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68scout View Post
is pretty much my plan bro

that and Twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy pictures
I hope for your sake that you don't find Justice to be blind

Old 11-11-2015, 03:59 PM

6,002 posts, read 7,392,779 times
In the good'ole days lights and blinkers weren't required for trailers. "Simple things for simple people"

Old 11-12-2015, 03:15 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,523,411 times
This louse of an officer should have issued a "fix it" ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or