Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 06:57 PM

5 posts, read 11,134 times

Advertisements

Our family is considering moving from Apex to WoodCreek and hoping you all can help provide feedback around some of items below. I understand 540 will be coming through the neighborhood behind the pool area which will separate the M/I Homes and John Wieland sections. We really appreciate all of your time and assistance in helping to guide us.

• Community functions: Are there events scheduled throughout the year across the neighborhood similar to what occurs at 12 Oaks? We have two children under seven and would like to bring them to these gatherings to meet new friends.
  • Clubhouse/Pool: As the neighborhood continues to grow have you seen issues with the pool amenities becoming overcrowded? It looks like there are additional sections yet to be developed and wasn't sure if another pool may be built similar to 12 Oaks.
  • Schools: Can you please confirm the base middle and high school for the neighborhood?
  • Builders: Any concerns from current homeowners regarding either John Wieland or M/Homes construction after 2-3 years?
  • Concerns: Are there any additional current or future things we should consider before moving forward with possibly securing a lot? Our commute will not be impacted by the current 55/Avent Ferry congestion that occurs each evening.
Much Appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 07:21 AM

143 posts, read 200,888 times
You are aware that Woodcreek is likely to be impacted by the construction of Toll Road 540?

If not you can search this forum for more info on it. I don't know the details but it's been mentioned here several times.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:33 AM

22 posts, read 26,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenbot View Post
You are aware that Woodcreek is likely to be impacted by the construction of Toll Road 540?

If not you can search this forum for more info on it. I don't know the details but it's been mentioned here several times.
In a positive way from what I can tell. 540 goes behind the clubhouse. No homes will be built in the path. The townhomes are the closest thing to 540. Single family homes on the John Wieland phase will not have any impact other than better access to 540.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:29 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,802,230 times
The eventual outcome and aftereffects of a road the size of NC540 essentially bisecting a residential subdivision cannot be predicted. The road will cross Sunset Lake road not once but twice, entering and exiting land currently inside the perimeter of Woodcreek.
I like Woodcreek but I would choose my lot VERY carefully. I would also prepare myself for the likelyhood that the impact will not be 100% positive. Take from that what you will.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
The eventual outcome and aftereffects of a road the size of NC540 essentially bisecting a residential subdivision cannot be predicted. The road will cross Sunset Lake road not once but twice, entering and exiting land currently inside the perimeter of Woodcreek.
I like Woodcreek but I would choose my lot VERY carefully. I would also prepare myself for the likelyhood that the impact will not be 100% positive. Take from that what you will.
The townhomes and any M/I homes on the fringe of 540 are the homes likely to be impacted. It appears John Wieland Homes are not close enough to 540 to have any issues as those lots have Lockley Rd between the clubhouse and 540.

Anyhow, hoping others can help the OP out with her original questions as 540 has been discussed at length.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:07 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback on 540 and the impact it will have on the traffic / noise around the neighborhood. Can you please share additional information around the community from the OP to help us assess if WoodCreek is really the best option or should we be considering 12 Oaks? I see 12 Oaks has a very active community Facebook site, however, I am unable to find current posts related to the public facing WoodCreek page. Any additional information you can share is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:56 PM

I am currently building a new home in Woodcreek. The FB page is private and not open to anyone unless you live there and can verify that. I'd speak with the on site agents if you could or talk to folks who live there (if you have a chance to). I know for sure they have activities scheduled throughout the year for kids and they even have some adult only events. The neighborhood itself is very active from what I can see. Everyone I have interacted with has been extremely friendly and inviting. A few of the neighbors building also have already mentioned driveway parties and social events.

I am sure it is like any pool, there will be busy days around the holidays and some weekends will be busier than others. The pool is big though and offers a ton of seating. Seems like a lot of neighbor friends bring there coolers and kids to the pool. I have seen during the week that there are swim meets for kids involved in swimming. There is always people running or walking on the sidewalks as the neighborhood is big and is great place to walk/run.

For me, I like the location of Woodcreek better. It is much closer to Apex, Cary and Downtown Raleigh.

The schools are the following that I am aware of. All great schools.

Holly Springs Elementary
Holly Ridge Middle School
Holy Springs High School

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:52 AM

525 posts, read 1,295,301 times
I also like the location of Woodcreek better than 12 Oaks. There is some nasty traffic that builds up on the bypass in front of the shopping center that seems like it would be a huge pain to deal with to get home each night to 12 Oaks.

I have friends in Woodcreek and they love it. A few weeks ago they had a fall festival with lots of kids activities and showed an outdoor movie. I am pretty sure they do a neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt every year. The pool is amazing - it gets busy on the weekends, but not unmanageable by any means. We went trick or treating with them there and it was a mad house - could barely walk down the sidewalks at some points - but that made it really fun!!

As for 540 coming through, it's not ideal, obviously -- and I would not in a million years buy one of the townhomes that will back up to it -- but further back in the neighborhood should be fine (IMO).

Old 11-06-2015, 08:49 AM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to provide the additional feedback above around the neighborhood. We are meeting with the builder next week and hope all works out.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:58 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,802,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejimster View Post
The townhomes and any M/I homes on the fringe of 540 are the homes likely to be impacted. It appears John Wieland Homes are not close enough to 540 to have any issues as those lots have Lockley Rd between the clubhouse and 540.

Anyhow, hoping others can help the OP out with her original questions as 540 has been discussed at length.
I moved out of a home after 4 years because of changes to traffic patterns and the road network surrounding the neighborhood. I knew they were coming-they were all mapped out, just like the projected path of 540 thru Woodcreek, when we bought the home. The thing is, you don't really know what it will be like until it actually happens.

If I were from out of town I would want to know all sides of the argument regarding 540.

I would also want input from people other than those currently building in Woodcreek (a data point that you chose to leave out until the post after this one). Lemme guess-you are building a John Wieland Home? One of the ones that in your own words "are not close enough to 540 to have any issues as those lots have Lockley Rd between the clubhouse and 540" ? Or are those the words of the onsite agent?

You decided to build in Woodcreek based on your perception of the impact or lack of impact 540 may have on the community. You gathered as much data as you thought you needed, and made a decision.

Not everyone sees it your way, and you won't know until the bulldozers roll. There will be construction noise for a long period of time and road noise to follow. The construction will impact Sunset Lake Road for a considerable length of time-they have to install not one but two overpasses in the area, one being pretty close to Woodcreek's front gate. If you haven't noticed, Sunset Lake already backs up considerably at evening commute times heading towards the light at Holly Springs Road-throw in some construction based lane closures and people will be impacted regardless of where in Woodcreek their home is located.

540 decimated the values and the perception of certain West Cary neighborhoods when the last phase was constructed. It was constructed within a long established corridor with a wide buffer-it did not directly touch any neighborhood, and it went exactly where everyone knew it was going to be, yet the impact was (and continues to be) a negative. Unforeseen events took place, including the backdoor sale of a portion of buffer to Progress Energy (the area to the east of the highway near the Carpenter Fire Station overpass that now contains zero trees and a bunch of 100 foot tall rusty power poles).

Some people consider 540 a dealbreaker for the neighborhood. Just because you do not does not mean that yours is the only acceptable viewpoint.

I hope your build and ownership goes just the way you wish it to. I will continue trying to help people. If you consider that an affront to your decision, I am sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary