U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 12:27 PM

10 posts, read 19,848 times

Advertisements

So I have a job offer for a company out in Chapel Hill. This will require me to move from Toronto, Canada along with my wife and 2 daughters (both under 2 years old). We currently live and maintain an upper middle class lifestyle. We are willing to spend up to $500-$550K on a house within a good school district and neighborhood.

Where do you suggest we relocate that's within 45 minutes driving distance to Chapel Hill and a good neighborhood for raising young families.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 12:51 PM

367 posts, read 331,367 times
Chapel Hill

Old 11-10-2015, 12:53 PM

4,642 posts, read 4,467,192 times
There's virtually no reason to consider anywhere other than Chapel Hill.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:11 PM

347 posts, read 863,766 times
I currently live in Toronto, but lived most of my life in Chapel Hill. Agree with the above that there no reason not to live in Chapel Hill. Good schools, plenty of nice housing in your price range. The cost of living will be much lower than what you are used to, but be sure that your employer provides excellent health insurance. Will your employer help with immigration issues? Also be sure to investigate the tax implications.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:17 PM

Chapel Hill eh!
Where in Chapel Hill specifically? Do they have gated communities in Chapel Hill?

Old 11-10-2015, 01:23 PM

10,721 posts, read 20,150,494 times
OP,

Have you visited the states, much?

My wife grew up in Winnipeg. Her extended family now lives in Ottawa.

During her quarterly reviews at a long ago previous job, she was actually dinged for being too nice. Her boss thought by her being so nice, she was actually showing signs of weakness. She apologized too much!

When I interviewed with my present company, I was told (in a rather bitchy manner, I might add!) that "you don't have to keep apologizing". To that, I said "I'm sorry!".

The culture is very different down here. It's nowhere near as friendly. Yes, you'll find some people that are pleasant but nowhere like Canada. Just food for thought.

The weather is a lot nicer, though.

For those not familiar, "sorry" is the second most popular word behind "eh" in Canada. Only joking, but not really!

Old 11-10-2015, 01:28 PM

372 posts, read 432,473 times
If they do, they're not publicized. Chapel Hill is pretty open when it comes to accessing neighborhoods old and new.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:36 PM

743 posts, read 747,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuhgaBuhgow View Post
Chapel Hill eh!
Where in Chapel Hill specifically? Do they have gated communities in Chapel Hill?
That's not really a thing here.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:40 PM

8,361 posts, read 12,070,489 times
I agree with Chapel Hill. To my knowledge, there are no gated communities within the Chapel Hill School District. There is a development called Governor's Club that is gated but it feeds to Chatham County schools which do not have the same great reputation that Chapel Hill has. There are a lot of developments, though, that function as their own closed-off neighborhoods without the gates. Some of the bigger ones are Meadowmont, Southern Village, Lake Hogan Farms, Claremont, and Winmore. The first two - Meadowmont and Southern Village have retail and other amenities contained in the neighborhood (groceries, pizza, coffee shop, ice cream, doctor, dentist, nail salon, etc.) if you are looking for some walkability from your home.

If you are looking for a bigger city environment, then Durham would also be in commuting distance to Chapel Hill, but the schools in Durham are not ranked nearly as well as the schools in Chapel Hill. But Durham will give you a more urban feel, but nothing like Toronto, of course.

(One quick note: if you decide you like Meadowmont, the neighborhood straddles the county line between Chapel Hill schools in Orange County and Durham Schools in Durham County so that part of the neighborhood is in one district and part is in another. If you want Chapel Hill schools, make sure you move to the right side.)

Old 11-10-2015, 01:59 PM

We also open doors for others and recycle...

I don't necessarily need to be in a gated community, I just thought it was common in the US. With that being said, where are some good communities within Chapel Hill? What are some good sites to look for homes in Chapel Hill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or