U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2015, 01:23 PM

64 posts, read 53,984 times

Advertisements

We are a retired couple, of mixed race - I'm white, she's black. A move to Wilson, NC from the northeast may be in our future. Golf is very important to me (but not to her).

I like the looks of the Wilson Country Club, but, as I peruse the web page, and the Facebook page of the club, the appearance of a lack of diversity among its' members is a cause for concern. Also, they ask for family photos of new applicants for membership.

Am I being paranoid, or do I have a real reason to be concerned?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 02:47 PM

1,172 posts, read 1,725,063 times
As a retired couple why did you select Wilson?
Drive another 30 minutes to Clayton. Closer to Raleigh and a great golf community. Glen Laurel is the home of The Neuse Golf Club. Semi-Private. Rated 4 1/2 by Golf Digest. Both men and women leagues. A hidden gem of a golf course. Easy to get tee times, etc. Glen Laurel is multi-racial community. Both retirees and young families. Neuse Golf Club | Clayton NC
PS There are other Golf commuities in the Triangle

Old 11-10-2015, 03:49 PM

11,093 posts, read 18,649,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgrfr View Post
We are a retired couple, of mixed race - I'm white, she's black.... Also, they ask for family photos of new applicants for membership.

I think both of you would be welcomed at the Wilson Country Club. The photos are probably just for ID's in a computer system. Perhaps to ensure the person using the membership card is the person paying the dues.

Unless you have family in Wilson, you might consider other locations. Wilson is a pleasant town, but I would not find it compelling.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
As a retired couple why did you select Wilson?
Drive another 30 minutes to Clayton. Closer to Raleigh and a great golf community. Glen Laurel is the home of The Neuse Golf Club. Semi-Private. Rated 4 1/2 by Golf Digest. Both men and women leagues. A hidden gem of a golf course. Easy to get tee times, etc. Glen Laurel is multi-racial community. Both retirees and young families. Neuse Golf Club | Clayton NC
PS There are other Golf commuities in the Triangle
We have spent time in Clayton, and initially thought of buying a home there. I played a round of golf there as well, enjoying the course as well as the gentlemen that I was paired with.

We are attracted to older homes in good neighborhoods with a somewhat decent walk score, and are not interested in belonging to an HOA. Unfortunately, most of the neighborhoods of older homes in and around downtown Clayton seem pretty run down.

The north and west sections of Wilson offer a good selection of fine houses that are in well kept, established neighborhoods not governed by HOAs. Houses that are reasonably priced. I like that I95 is nearby too.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:37 AM

[quote=goldenage1;41882311]I think both of you would be welcomed at the Wilson Country Club. The photos are probably just for ID's in a computer system. Perhaps to ensure the person using the membership card is the person paying the dues.

Thank you, I hope you are correct.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:18 AM

33,120 posts, read 26,931,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgrfr View Post
We are a retired couple, of mixed race - I'm white, she's black. A move to Wilson, NC from the northeast may be in our future. Golf is very important to me (but not to her).

I like the looks of the Wilson Country Club, but, as I peruse the web page, and the Facebook page of the club, the appearance of a lack of diversity among its' members is a cause for concern. Also, they ask for family photos of new applicants for membership.

Ask them how diverse their membership is.

If they offer the info willingly, you'll know you're welcome.

Personally, I'd not choose Wilson. I was born there and really just lived there as a baby, but the place is just so backward to me.

Last edited by RedZin; 11-13-2015 at 07:32 PM..

Old 11-12-2015, 08:51 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,253,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Ask them how diverse their membership is.

If they offer the info willingly, you'll know you're welcome.
That's what I was going to say. You could even get tricky if you wanted, and ask them an innocent question like "I was wondering how diverse your membership is" without mentioning that your wife is black (or a less-innocent question like "How do you feel about letting blacks into your club?" if you really want to put them on the spot). If they don't know that your wife is black, they may assume that you're asking because you don't want to belong to a club with too many black people.

I earlier posted (and deleted) a link to a news story about a country club in Raleigh that had just accepted its first black member after a hundred some-odd years. It came up in my google search for this country club and I mistakenly though it was the same place at first. But I think it's worth mentioning just to point out that while this is a very diverse area, and generally very accepting of different races, that feeling still isn't universal. (I had a barber in downtown Raleigh go off on me when I first moved down here, griping about how those ungrateful black people actually had the gall to expect good schools in their neighborhoods... awkward!)

Quote:
Personally, I'd not choose Wilson. I was born there and really just lived there as a baby, but the place is just so backward to me.
I don't know anything about Wilson specifically, but you should be able to find some nice older homes in walkable neighborhoods in other towns. My wife and I looked at some nice older houses in Wendell when we were house-hunting but decided that it was too far from Raleigh for us.

Last edited by RedZin; 11-13-2015 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Corrected a quoted typo. :)

Old 03-02-2016, 05:30 PM

4 posts, read 7,104 times
The wife and I moved to Wilson voluntarily last year and absolutely love it. I'm an avid (if poor) golfer and joined the WCC. I assume the family photo is to verify when you charge something to your account. If WCC is a little too pricey/uppity for your tastes, there are three other clubs in the immediate vicinity which offer challenging courses. I've played them all and could see myself shuffling between all 4 courses.

It all depends on what you want in a home-town. We're retired and it seems most of the live music starts at 10 which is a little late to start our evening entertainment. Other than that, Wilson to me offers all we could want. If there is something that we can't get here, Raleigh is only 45 minutes away and we usually head there about once per month. There is a great YMCA for working out - plus other gyms, plenty of shopping, good dining and great housing costs. Everyone we've met has been very nice.

Wilson isn't Raleigh and doesn't pretend to be. But it really is a pretty nice area to live.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:16 PM

514 posts, read 416,521 times
I don't think Wilson is as bad as it is made out to be. I do live in Clayton, so I see the attraction but it is difficult to find really old homes in great shape here. Clayton has grown a lot and continues to do so. There is a ton of new construction. The older homes in downtown are usually not in great shape. On top of that, Wilson looks like a bargain in comparison.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:22 AM

241 posts, read 685,210 times
I don't know much about Wilson, itself, but I golf at the Wilson CC frequently. I live in Raleigh and the guys that golf in our group like that course. The homes all appear to be very nice and well maintained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or