U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 11:49 AM

20,495 posts, read 25,698,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
Now, I have not done this drive from Raleigh, but I have done it from NJ to Richmond, passing through the horrific traffic of NVA several times. I *think* you would be fine leaving at 6a on Wed. Things will get worse as the day progresses, but you'll be ahead of most of the volume. Do yourself a favor and skip the breakfast stop. Eat before you leave or pack some snacks and plan on a big lunch when you arrive.
I'd stop at a WaWa & gas up & grab sandwiches & drinks for the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 01:29 PM

65 posts, read 58,031 times
I'm faced with the same drive. Being new to the Raleigh area (Brier Creek), how exactly do I make my way over to 29 North? Do I start out on 501North and scoot over or perhaps start on 40 West ? I'd like to think I'll be on the road by 6am on Wednesday but somehow that normally works out, 7:30 more likely :-(

Old 11-12-2015, 01:42 PM

4,642 posts, read 4,458,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lar196 View Post
I'm faced with the same drive. Being new to the Raleigh area (Brier Creek), how exactly do I make my way over to 29 North? Do I start out on 501North and scoot over or perhaps start on 40 West ? I'd like to think I'll be on the road by 6am on Wednesday but somehow that normally works out, 7:30 more likely :-(
501 to Lynchburg, pick up 29 there.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:44 PM

8,354 posts, read 12,057,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lar196 View Post
From Chapel Hill, we take 86 through Hillsborough and then pick up 29 around Danville, VA. So I-40 to 86 may make sense for you.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:45 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,049,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Amtrak sells out months in advance of Thanksgiving.
Ok, so it might be sold out now but in the future it might be an option for others (or even the OP next year) and the fact that it's sold out shows it's a viable and desirable way to make this trip.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:57 AM

620 posts, read 437,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Ok, so it might be sold out now but in the future it might be an option for others (or even the OP next year) and the fact that it's sold out shows it's a viable and desirable way to make this trip.
Yeah, except when you're sitting on a train for 3 hours, not moving (which happened to me a couple Thanksgivings ago when the train hit a truck on the tracks, and they had to wait for the train to be inspected)

Old 11-13-2015, 09:01 AM

2,934 posts, read 7,136,016 times
We're probably driving up Wednesday morning to NoVA as well and we'll most likely be taking this route http://alturl.com/qdxvb. I've done it many times and taking rt. 15 all the way through Central Va and meeting up with rt. 29 in Culpeper is a scenic route and it's roughly the same distance as taking 85 to 95. It's about 25-30 shorter than taking 501 to 29 and probably about 10-15 minutes faster. It usually takes me 1 hour longer to go this route than taking 85 to 95, but like others have pointed out you could possibly be sitting in 2-3 hours extra traffic taking 95, especially if there are accidents.

A good portion of rt. 15 is only two lanes however, so you can get behind slower vehicles from time to time, but I've never once faced traffic on this road in the 16 years I've driven on it.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:02 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,049,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
Yeah, except when you're sitting on a train for 3 hours, not moving (which happened to me a couple Thanksgivings ago when the train hit a truck on the tracks, and they had to wait for the train to be inspected)
Well, a car can hit a truck and cause a 3 hour backup on the highway too. I'm not saying it's flawless, but I personally would rather be stuck in a train not moving where I can read, sleep, work or whatever than be stuck in the car. To each their own, I suppose.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:14 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,660,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Well, a car can hit a truck and cause a 3 hour backup on the highway too. I'm not saying it's flawless, but I personally would rather be stuck in a train not moving where I can read, sleep, work or whatever than be stuck in the car. To each their own, I suppose.
Yeah, ANY route can get backed up because of a freak occurrence. You could be the only car on the road but a wind storm blow over a huge tree across the road and have to wait 2 hours for someone to come move it. But, at least train schedules are general more predictable (to within 30 minutes) than cars at this time of year in high-destination places.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:32 PM

620 posts, read 437,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yeah, ANY route can get backed up because of a freak occurrence. You could be the only car on the road but a wind storm blow over a huge tree across the road and have to wait 2 hours for someone to come move it. But, at least train schedules are general more predictable (to within 30 minutes) than cars at this time of year in high-destination places.
You have a more generous opinion of train timeliness than I do. I enjoy taking the train, but only when I don't have a schedule to stick to. I only take the train when I am prepared to be 3-4 hours delayed. Not much better expectation of schedule than driving, IME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or