U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 07:55 PM

5,281 posts, read 4,565,247 times

Advertisements

I know we've talked about this here before but I couldn't find it.

I have to go to Northern VA for thanksgiving...my mom has been struggling and really needs some support. In the past I've experienced horrible traffic...8 hours for a drive that should take 5.

If we get up and leave Raleigh at 6am, we'd hit Richmond around 9, stop for some breakfast , then get to NVA by noon. Or am I naive to think that will work?

We'll be coming home on Saturday am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 08:24 PM

715 posts, read 1,252,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I know we've talked about this here before but I couldn't find it.

I have to go to Northern VA for thanksgiving...my mom has been struggling and really needs some support. In the past I've experienced horrible traffic...8 hours for a drive that should take 5.

If we get up and leave Raleigh at 6am, we'd hit Richmond around 9, stop for some breakfast , then get to NVA by noon. Or am I naive to think that will work?

We'll be coming home on Saturday am.
What day? I drove north on Thanksgiving day 2 years ago and it was easy. Left Raleigh by 6 and even D.C. was lighter than usual.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:03 PM

9,953 posts, read 10,238,941 times
You could avoid 95. I was considering going to DC for Thanksgiving, too, and that's what I was going to do. I was thinking of taking 29 and going via Charlottesville.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:53 AM

2,035 posts, read 2,368,194 times
Thanksgiving Day itself isn't likely to be a problem. Wednesday will be. And Sunday will be a meltdown.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:42 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,472,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
You could avoid 95. I was considering going to DC for Thanksgiving, too, and that's what I was going to do. I was thinking of taking 29 and going via Charlottesville.
29 is a beautiful drive. In normal conditions it takes longer, but may be faster if you are travelling on Wed. When I was younger, we used to go from Charlotte. I realize this isn't Charlotte, but even back then taking 77/81 was faster than the more direct 85/95 route.

Other option would be to leave at 7 or 8PM on Tuesday, and get in late. I'd still expect traffic in NoVa at that time, but less.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:56 AM

15,735 posts, read 23,966,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
DH comes home this way sometimes.

You didn't say what day you're planning on traveling, OP, but if it's Thanksgiving day it should be a bit better.

You just never know what's gonna happen on 95, though - one bad accident and it's all over. And that could really put a damper on your day, but keep apprised of traffic and be prepared to get off 95 if you go that route.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:39 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,723,145 times
Agree about weather and accidents playing a big role. We've made the trip to NVa for the Thanksgiving holiday every year for a long time. Thanksgiving day, leaving Raleigh early, is usually OK but heavy traffic north of Richmond is likely. Avoid Wed at all costs. Last year we went on Tuesday and the traffic was fine.
I would avoid the stop for breakfast in Richmond if you can. The traffic congestion is likely to build north of Richmond and the earlier you get north of Richmond the better. I-85/95/495 *should* be easy until you get north of Richmond.
Richmond is fine for breakfast heading back to Raleigh.

If you can, use an app like Waze or a GPS navigator. It helps to have visibility of the traffic in advance and potential routing options.

Safe travels,

Frank

Last edited by frankpc; 11-12-2015 at 06:02 AM..

Old 11-12-2015, 06:00 AM

5,281 posts, read 4,565,247 times
Auughh, Sorry, I was planning to leave at 6am on Wednesday. Can't leave Tuesday night...Daughter will be coming from college.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:19 AM

4,642 posts, read 4,460,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Auughh, Sorry, I was planning to leave at 6am on Wednesday. Can't leave Tuesday night...Daughter will be coming from college.
Avoid I-95 on Wednesday at all costs. Take Hwy. 29.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:38 AM

635 posts, read 1,374,261 times
Not sure if Thursday travel is an option, but we've done I-85 to I-95 North to the Potomac area the last 15 yrs on Thanksgiving day with basically no problems (unless there's a wreck), like others have said. Some years the beltway is crowded, but typically we're good. They' usually open the HOV lanes for northbound traffic which helps. That said, a recent trip up has showed us that those HOV lanes are now EZpass lanes. Not sure we'll be allowed on them anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or