U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 11:46 AM

10,705 posts, read 20,126,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I've been following this post. I have a similar situation. I have another post about cruises (and got some VERY good feedback). Unfortunately, it looks like the right cruise may not be available on the dates I need (March 23-30).

I'm also looking at Portland, ME, Freeport, Bulington, VT and Albany as another option. Cold, but lots of stuff to do. So I thought that might be of value to OP (even though cold).
I would suggest doing Burlington over Albany and if you do pick it, go in the early fall. Driving around the Green Mountains in the early fall while the weather is still nice, but leaves are turning going on covered bridge hunts is pretty cool! Lots to do there, I remember doing a Cabot Cheese factory tour, among others!

I would not do Portland at that time of year. Bar Harbor is fun (in a New England-y way) but it's still fairly cool even in the dead of summer! I have a picture from a couple years ago where my tires are frozen to the ground in March in Portland! Yuck!

Freeport...no...no...no. Actually anything in the Bahamas is a waste of time. IMO. It's trashy.

I've hit a ton of Caribbean islands over the last 2 years...St Martin has been my favorite if you want to get out. Grand Cayman is also excellent, very safe and easy to get around with their $1 taxi services! Do the stingray tour! I would avoid most unless you just want to sit in the "compound" and relax on the beach. Punta Cana is nice for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 12:06 PM

4,642 posts, read 4,460,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I would suggest doing Burlington over Albany and if you do pick it, go in the early fall. Driving around the Green Mountains in the early fall while the weather is still nice, but leaves are turning going on covered bridge hunts is pretty cool! Lots to do there, I remember doing a Cabot Cheese factory tour, among others!

I would not do Portland at that time of year. Bar Harbor is fun (in a New England-y way) but it's still fairly cool even in the dead of summer! I have a picture from a couple years ago where my tires are frozen to the ground in March in Portland! Yuck!

Freeport...no...no...no. Actually anything in the Bahamas is a waste of time. IMO. It's trashy.

I've hit a ton of Caribbean islands over the last 2 years...St Martin has been my favorite if you want to get out. Grand Cayman is also excellent, very safe and easy to get around with their $1 taxi services! Do the stingray tour! I would avoid most unless you just want to sit in the "compound" and relax on the beach. Punta Cana is nice for that.
Pretty sure he/she meant Freeport, Maine. And there are lots of nice places in Bahamas...Harbor Island, for example.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:23 PM

9,951 posts, read 10,238,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by des1rees View Post
SO - the question to you all - tell me where you went to, from Raleigh for a 4-6 day vacation - with a pre-teen and a teen; not the beach...but a regular sightseeing/touristy/seeing the US tour.
Why is the beach not a regular sightseeing/touristy/seeing the US tour? More to do at the beach than just go swimming. Lots of history along the NC coast, but also our neighbor states like around Charleston (potentially gorgeous over spring break if the azaleas are in bloom), Savannah, St Augustine all are beach cities. My pre-teen and teen would LOVE a little beach time mixed in with a road trip. That's what I would really recommend.

DC would be my second choice. If you time it right you may hit the cherry blossoms (and lots of tourists then too).

Old 11-12-2015, 12:55 PM

5,986 posts, read 7,366,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Why is the beach not a regular sightseeing/touristy/seeing the US tour? More to do at the beach than just go swimming.
Nothing more beautiful than Hatteras and Ocracoke on NC's coast. Well, of course I'm just a beach guy

Old 11-12-2015, 03:11 PM

815 posts, read 663,804 times
I recommend Washington DC and Charleston.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:14 PM

815 posts, read 663,804 times
to the poster earlier... it does matter where the OP is. They have a 4-5 day period. Selecting a designation within a few hours drive maximizes their time. Two days to travel for two days in CA just doesn't really work. That doesn't diminish the fact that CA is stunning and should be on everyone's travel bucket list.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:08 AM

164 posts, read 123,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
A really nice drive is the Pacific Coast Highway - would be in the 60s in March around the Monterey area. I went in May, but it was fun to fly into SF, rent a car and drive to Monterey, Big Sur, see whales, seals, all sorts of things including artichoke farms.

THIS!!! Did this once and it was amazing. Went to DC once also and didn't care for it.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:30 AM

9,951 posts, read 10,238,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
to the poster earlier... it does matter where the OP is. They have a 4-5 day period. Selecting a designation within a few hours drive maximizes their time. Two days to travel for two days in CA just doesn't really work. That doesn't diminish the fact that CA is stunning and should be on everyone's travel bucket list.
I agree that for a short vacay I'd want to minimize travel time, but maybe the 4-6 days the OP mentioned was excluding the initial travel days to the destination?

Not sure why they wouldn't have a full week off school, plus the two weekends for a total of 9 days. If you've got the whole 9 days someplace like California becomes much more doable. Spend a day on the plane and in the airport on your first Saturday and then you have Sunday through your next Friday or Saturday for travel and then fly home on Saturday or Sunday. So, 6 or 7 days to do a road trip.

If you want a big trip and have that time, go for California. Should be awesome!

Old 11-16-2015, 08:45 AM

732 posts, read 1,006,187 times
Head to Florida? St. Augustine is interesting with the fort and other Spanish era sites. Then I'd head to the Gulf Coast to Homosassa Springs, FL to see Schiller Park and WeekiWatchie for a taste of old Florida. Maybe do a swim with the manatees? Orlando theme parks are close by as well as Busch Gardens in Tampa. Such a trip would be nice mix of education, nature, and theme parks.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:50 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,479,891 times
Kauai
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or