U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 09:39 PM

11,543 posts, read 17,880,077 times

Advertisements

I don't know that I'd go out West for a trip that could be as short as 4 days. I'd try to stay closer to home to maximize the time to actually see things. Given the desire for warm weather and some landmarks/nature/things to see, etc., why not go to New Orleans? See some history, explore the Bayou, the Mississippi River and surrounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 11:04 PM

2,543 posts, read 6,148,237 times
Things I've done or thought about that time of year:
1) Fly into Vegas and head to Death Valley
2) Southern California - some combination of San Diego/LA/Palm Springs/Joshua Tree
3) Tuscon
4) Charleston/Beaufort/Savannah
5) New Orleans, Plantations, Bayou

Old 11-17-2015, 05:47 AM

213 posts, read 440,404 times
Puerto Rico! My daughter and I went on a Spring Break trip a few years ago, and it was great. There's so much to do: old San Juan, El Yunque Rain Forest, snorkeling, the bioluminescent bay, Arecibo Observatory, Rio Camuy cave, and of course, there are some great beaches.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:21 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,381,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by des1rees View Post
I know - starting this way early - but wanted to see where we Raleigh-ites go for a vacation within the US - famous landmarks etc? We want to explore this amazing, beautiful country of ours. Just got back from the trip to the Grand Canyon, and now want to start planning to go somewhere for spring break. We are open to flying to get there, so that opens up our options, however - would prefer nature/landmarks/driving trips once we get to the destination.
Of course, it being March - and us not really used to the snow, I want to stay away from places that could potentially have that type of weather - so the north is probably out...
SO - the question to you all - tell me where you went to, from Raleigh for a 4-6 day vacation - with a pre-teen and a teen; not the beach...but a regular sightseeing/touristy/seeing the US tour.
Thank you for your replies,
D
Well, seeing as March can be hit or miss for nice weather unless you go sufficiently south, I would head to Southern Florida if I were in Raleigh. It's a grueling 16+ hour drive to Miami so I would fly.. Snorkling off the Dry Tortugas could be fun! It used to be used as a prison fort during the Civil War, and has some beautiful aquatic wildlife to boot. There might be nature tours of the Okefenokee swamp too.. not sure about that always wanted to do it.

There's alot of history in New Orleans area too, just haven't spent enough time there to experience it. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or