Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:07 PM

475 posts, read 1,574,892 times

Advertisements

I know - starting this way early - but wanted to see where we Raleigh-ites go for a vacation within the US - famous landmarks etc? We want to explore this amazing, beautiful country of ours. Just got back from the trip to the Grand Canyon, and now want to start planning to go somewhere for spring break. We are open to flying to get there, so that opens up our options, however - would prefer nature/landmarks/driving trips once we get to the destination.
Of course, it being March - and us not really used to the snow, I want to stay away from places that could potentially have that type of weather - so the north is probably out...
SO - the question to you all - tell me where you went to, from Raleigh for a 4-6 day vacation - with a pre-teen and a teen; not the beach...but a regular sightseeing/touristy/seeing the US tour.
Thank you for your replies,
D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 04:49 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,375,458 times
Depends on your interests. Williamsburg/Richmond/Washington DC for colonial/Civil War history and great museums and monuments. Orlando for Disney. A caribbean cruise. Charleston and Atlanta.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:54 AM

22,664 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Washington, DC.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:47 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,430,946 times
California is absolutely amazing. History? Check. Scenery? Check. Warmer climate? Check.

Did you do a helicopter tour? Seeing the Grand Canyon was amazing! Also I do hope you went to Sedona, probably one of the prettiest places outside California I've been to. The drive from Sedona to Flagstaff was also insane! I forgot that road but it's inside of a canyon.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:04 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,575 times
Seattle !!!

Old 11-12-2015, 07:05 AM

872 posts, read 1,015,255 times
D.C., Disney World, Atlanta and New Orleans would be among my top picks.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:22 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,430,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
Seattle !!!
That was my thought too but after reading the OP they want a warmer climate. Seattle isn't warm in March!

Old 11-12-2015, 07:42 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
A really nice drive is the Pacific Coast Highway - would be in the 60s in March around the Monterey area. I went in May, but it was fun to fly into SF, rent a car and drive to Monterey, Big Sur, see whales, seals, all sorts of things including artichoke farms.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:19 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by des1rees View Post
I know - starting this way early - but wanted to see where we Raleigh-ites go for a vacation within the US - famous landmarks etc? We want to explore this amazing, beautiful country of ours. Just got back from the trip to the Grand Canyon, and now want to start planning to go somewhere for spring break. We are open to flying to get there, so that opens up our options, however - would prefer nature/landmarks/driving trips once we get to the destination.
Of course, it being March - and us not really used to the snow, I want to stay away from places that could potentially have that type of weather - so the north is probably out...
SO - the question to you all - tell me where you went to, from Raleigh for a 4-6 day vacation - with a pre-teen and a teen; not the beach...but a regular sightseeing/touristy/seeing the US tour.
Thank you for your replies,
D
Does it matter that the people had to be Raleigh-ites? Seems like if you're asking for recommendations for a vacation anywhere in the US, it wouldn't matter where the people original come from? The General US Board might open up more opinions if you are actually asking for suggestions of how to spend a vacation anywhere in the US?

Old 11-12-2015, 08:42 AM

11,220 posts, read 8,291,563 times
I've been following this post. I have a similar situation. I have another post about cruises (and got some VERY good feedback). Unfortunately, it looks like the right cruise may not be available on the dates I need (March 23-30).

I'm also looking at Portland, ME, Freeport, Bulington, VT and Albany as another option. Cold, but lots of stuff to do. So I thought that might be of value to OP (even though cold).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary