U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-12-2015, 10:38 AM
 
292 posts, read 252,761 times
Reputation: 886

Advertisements

What a weird thread. Cats have lived along side humans for over 10,000 years.

Yet it's only in the last 25 years that the idea of outdoor cats as a major pest has arisen. It's a very new notion and doesn't jive well with human existence. Cats are pest control. Don't like that cat poop in your garden? How about the mouse poop, mole poop, vole poop, possum poop, raccoon poop and god knows the bird poop that's all over the place. Just because you don't see that other animals are peeing in your yard doesn't mean they are not. Think about that the next time you let little Johnny roll around in the grass.

I want the birds out of the yard. I'm a gardener. GD birds eat my tomatoes and berries, take off with my worms, eat my seedlings, poop on my lawn chair and do all sorts of damage. Screw the birds!! Mulberry season means purple bird poop all over my yard and car.

The idea that someone would want a hungry coyote roaming through their yard rather than a domesticated cat is bizarro.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2015, 11:08 AM
 
2,010 posts, read 1,448,082 times
Reputation: 2381
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
What a weird thread. Cats have lived along side humans for over 10,000 years.

Yet it's only in the last 25 years that the idea of outdoor cats as a major pest has arisen. It's a very new notion and doesn't jive well with human existence. Cats are pest control. Don't like that cat poop in your garden? How about the mouse poop, mole poop, vole poop, possum poop, raccoon poop and god knows the bird poop that's all over the place. Just because you don't see that other animals are peeing in your yard doesn't mean they are not. Think about that the next time you let little Johnny roll around in the grass.

I want the birds out of the yard. I'm a gardener. GD birds eat my tomatoes and berries, take off with my worms, eat my seedlings, poop on my lawn chair and do all sorts of damage. Screw the birds!! Mulberry season means purple bird poop all over my yard and car.

The idea that someone would want a hungry coyote roaming through their yard rather than a domesticated cat is bizarro.
yes cats are natural predators for North Carolina and have been living in the wild here for 10,000 years!

How have we not seen?!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Pie shape
5,700 posts, read 8,294,164 times
Reputation: 6249
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Whatever. I do my part on with both the Feral Cat and Coyote population to any that come within range of my deer stand. I used to do the same with wild dogs, but we don't have those around here that I've seen.
You shoot cats and dogs from your deer stand?

...and this is why a lot of people don't like hunters.

You are a true prince among men.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Oxxford Hunt, Cary NC
4,188 posts, read 9,810,360 times
Reputation: 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
The idea that someone would want a hungry coyote roaming through their yard rather than a domesticated cat is bizarro.
Well, at least the coyote isn't breaking the law by being in my yard. The Town of Cary leash law does in fact apply to cats!

Quote:
The Law on the Leash
The Town of Cary requires domesticated animals,
cats and dogs, to be leashed when outside of
their individual owner’s property.
Penalty
Failure to be a responsible owner could result
in a fine of up to $250.
https://www.townofcary.org/Assets/Po...t+PDFs/llb.pdf
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Raleigh
6,964 posts, read 5,183,151 times
Reputation: 9390
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
You shoot cats and dogs from your deer stand?

...and this is why a lot of people don't like hunters.

You are a true prince among men.
You make it sound like I'm shooting pets, instead of vermin. Feral dogs are a huge problem in some parts, and if you lived near them you would likely want them killed as well, lest they tear up your pets or worse, your children. They are not creatures you want around, and there is no mistaking them for pets.

Jayla's death certificate: She died in dog attack

In NC, all the dog's I've seen while hunting are hounds being run by their owners. I don't shoot pets. I do shoot Coyotes. I break no laws.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
3,150 posts, read 3,816,470 times
Reputation: 3893
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You make it sound like I'm shooting pets, instead of vermin. Feral dogs are a huge problem in some parts, and if you lived near them you would likely want them killed as well, lest they tear up your pets or worse, your children. They are not creatures you want around, and there is no mistaking them for pets.
I disagree. Many feral dogs are former pets, or even hunting dogs, that were dumped when their owners got tired of them. I have worked with many feral rescues that made great pets, including a few that came in with buckshot pellets still in them or other gunshot wounds.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 03:18 PM
 
292 posts, read 252,761 times
Reputation: 886
Hey remember that vet who killed the "feral" cat with a bow an arrow? She lost her license. Society still has rules about killing animals. There is no licensed cat killing season.

As for Cary, you still have animal poop in your yard. A lot more than your cat owning neighbor.

Leashing a cat. What a stupid law. Enjoy your rodent visitors.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Raleigh
6,964 posts, read 5,183,151 times
Reputation: 9390
Quote:
Hey remember that vet who killed the "feral" cat with a bow an arrow? She lost her license. Society still has rules about killing animals. There is no licensed cat killing season.
That's because she shot a pet. Not a feral cat. And there is no season for killing mice or rats or gophers, either, but you can still do it. You don't even have to have a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I disagree. Many feral dogs are former pets, or even hunting dogs, that were dumped when their owners got tired of them. I have worked with many feral rescues that made great pets, including a few that came in with buckshot pellets still in them or other gunshot wounds.
Again, there aren't Feral dogs in NC, not like there are on other places. What you describe is a STRAY. Much in the same way that a STRAY cat is different than a FERAL cat. FERAL dogs can no more be rehabbed and rescued than Coyotes. Sorry to derail the thread.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 05:53 PM
 
122 posts, read 94,632 times
Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
What a weird thread. Cats have lived along side humans for over 10,000 years.

Yet it's only in the last 25 years that the idea of outdoor cats as a major pest has arisen. It's a very new notion and doesn't jive well with human existence.
That makes a lot of sense when you consider that we only started to really understand the impact humans have on the environment very recently. Let's see, our National Park System (our greatest idea, and an international model for conservation of wild spaces) and the idea of putting aside land for wildlife/future generations only came into being at the end of the 19th-early 20th century. By the 20th century, we had already wiped out the Passenger Pigeon (which once had a population of millions upon millions), the Thylacine, and countless other animals. Our National Symbol, the Bald Eagle was critically endangered, along with several other raptors because of DDT. Wolves and other large predators had been completely extirpated from their historic ranges in the continental US. Bison were almost gone. Hell, even white-tailed deer were almost gone! We had also introduced cats, dogs, rats, and domestic livestock to just about every continent, where they continue to wreak havoc on local ecosystems (don't get me started on feral hogs, or the feral chickens in Hawaii). Nevermind the state of our air, water, forests, etc.

As we learn more about our impact on the environment, we have a responsibility to try to manage it in a sustainable way. In this small case, it just means keeping your pets indoors. It really isn't a huge sacrifice. And it's much safer for the pet in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
Cats are pest control. Don't like that cat poop in your garden? How about the mouse poop, mole poop, vole poop, possum poop, raccoon poop and god knows the bird poop that's all over the place. Just because you don't see that other animals are peeing in your yard doesn't mean they are not. Think about that the next time you let little Johnny roll around in the grass.
Ha! Yes, unless you keep a completely sterile yard there is probably poop somewhere. And bugs in the air. And grubs in the ground. But just so you know, our native wild rodents (wood rats, cotton rats, cotton mice, golden mice, voles, etc) don't all bunch up like you see city rats do. That is called an infestation. The animals have these boom and bust population cycles because of all the food available to them in such a small area (please secure your trash!). But in the wild, these animals are spread out fairly evenly in their habitat. And like most wildlife, they do whatever they can to avoid people.

It's kind of like how you can see whole buildings infested with cockroaches in NYC. But what people don't know is, the only reason those roaches can survive there is because of those buildings. Roaches are "tropical" insects (not really tropical, but not very cold-tolerant). They wouldn't be able to survive in places like NY without a dense city that provides them with food/shelter that means they never have to go outside. They would all freeze to death otherwise. Their entire range has shifted northward 100% because of people. It is just one more invisible way humans have greatly disrupted the ecosystem/range of a species. Rodents are the same way.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 06:02 PM
 
Location: US
274 posts, read 143,212 times
Reputation: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
LOL at the cat defense

Birds[edit]
A 2013 study by Scott R. Loss and others of the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service suggested that free-ranging domestic cats (mostly unowned) are the top human-caused threat to wildlife in the United States, killing an estimated 1.3 to 4 billion birds and 6.3 to 22.3 billion mammals annually.[39][40] These figures were much higher than previous estimates for the U.S.[39]:2 Unspecified species of birds native to the U.S. and mammals including mice, shrews, voles, squirrels and rabbits were considered most likely to be preyed upon by cats.[39]:4

Letting you cat roam outdoors is super bad pet ownership as they kill wildlife and are vectors for disease through interacting with feral populations.
There are only 10-20 billion birds in the U.S if cats were killing them at the pace this suggests there wouldn't be any birds left LOLOLOLOLOL

Last edited by senecat; 11-12-2015 at 06:56 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top